Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Manifold and carb install

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manifold and carb install

I'm going to install an Offy dual port intake and a Weber 32/36 carb and after reading some of the treads I am confused at what all extra I might need. For anyone that has done this please advise me what extra parts I need to get verses those I might want to get, such as a fuel regulator or a PCV breather. I can't tell if these are needed or just something I might want to get. Also for those that did this install did you get the results you hoped for? I'm hoping for better gas milege and I little mor umph. Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 06:03 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
is the carb a part of a kit, or by itself? Is the offy manifold already flanged for the weber? Does the air filter housing have a hole in the bottom of it and have a plastic elbow?

Did the offy manifold come with a thermostat housing elbow?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regulator you're definitely going to want to get if you plan on wheeling it, but I have heard of a few people getting by without them. The stock mechanical pumps we have aren't exactly high pressure, just enough to make it easy to flood going up a hill.

As far as whether I got any more oomph out of the Weber(don't have the Offy...yet), I did. I got even more out of it when I made it into a synchronous instead of the original progressive setup. Fuel mileage I can't really compare to stock very much, mine wasn't driveable(legally) when the stock Aisin was on there, but I'm getting 16.5 on the highway with 33's, 5.29's, and a 5 speed.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
let me know what you think of the set up.. I have an offy just need the weber..
Or I have the parts to go efi..
Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 AM

with my 32/36 I just got 20 mpg on a 5 hour 90% highway round trip w/ 31's and 4:10's. Factory manifold, fuel regulated to 3.5 psi though a holley non-return line regulator. (only one's I swear by).

7,000 miles on rebuilt 20 over, 268 cam and .010 taken off the block. New head. and a downey header. 2.25" exhaust no cat and a thrush turbo muffler.

Also using a 70 jet as the primary idle jet, no other mods to the carb other than the idle fuel cut-off solenoid.

Single cab "pickup". Maybe 150lbs worth of tool box, spare and about 50lbs of snow/ice in the bed. And the bed is probably heavier than the factory bed, but only speculation on my part as I have never weighed either.

Anyway waiting on the other answers that I have asked. To determine what you need.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeless dog & truck
A small wording problem I'l correct U on, ASIN is a maker of parts like hubs...the carb if u look has the word ASIAN ( like the geograpy land mass). Just some tib bit info. also the mech pump puts out 7lbs...webers want about 3 lbs so U should use a regulator. MIne is a Mallory which is USA made and cost $120 extreme for most. but weber has there own avail. from LCE. Your mileage is about like mine I got 17 pulling a heavy load with my camper on too. I had an offy once I thru it away, actually recylced it as it didn't seal right @ thermo housing ,they machined it wrong and wouldn't accept the o ring. I would put my first $ into an offy headers would be the first thing to buy. webers are nice as u can or I can rebuild them with my eyes closed Toyotas are complicated and don't have the variety of jets available for altitude adj.

Ehhhh. Wrong..
Aisin makes a lot more than hubs. Most of the parts on your toyota are aisin. Aisin clutch, pressure plate, bearings, slave and master cylinders, carbs etc etc.
And no, its not asian. While it is asian, its a company called aisin.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dont forget tranny's for almost everything out there
Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 AM

Thanks Peow, was pretty sure I'd read it right before I gave my old carb to a buddy.

Dog & truck, I do have a regulator and also highly recommended it, but think about the age of our trucks. You think everyone's stock fuel pump is still putting out a strong 7 psi? The only recommended thing I haven't done yet(but really should someday) is to block off/remove the return fuel line. Probably get around to that when I put in a rebuilt engine, since mine is knocking and burning oil.

Now waiting with Xxx to see what the OP has...
Old 02-10-2011, 09:28 AM

I am having higher rev issues with mine and it seems as though I am not getting enough fuel to the carb. Since these fuel pumps are stock stuff, finding a fuel spec curve on them is pretty much impossible. The given flow rate for them is only at OEM pressure. 7psi.

Not to mention once you block off the return line and regulate it down to 1/2 of what it was meant for, the pump obviously doesn't like it and it taps like no tomorrow. I have an autozone brand in mine BTW.

I am highly considering switching to an electric pump. As with most fuel pumps including electric the flow rates go down when regulating them to a lower pressure.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:35 PM

I haven't purchased anything yet so I'm not sure about what it comes with but I wanted to be able to ask so thanks for the info. My truck is a 87 xcab-106000 miles and runs great with all stock but exhaust,which I enlarged to 2.25 from manifold to tailpipe,no cat and proflow muffler. I average about 20mpg. Also read in thread about timing and being able to adjust since chain will stretch. Set mine to 0 TDC as called for but it did need adjusting to get there. If the chained has stretched which way do you adjust timing, BTDC or ATDC and how do you tell when its right? Or is this not true about chain stretch and need to compensate for it? Reading your responses about these trucks and mod's done has thankfully stopped me from making not so good purchases and I might leave the thing alone but really don't want to.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM

Its a redline kit for 22r and manifold is new sold by same business
Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Well anyway, no point in getting in a sword fight over it. Asin, Aisin, Asian...you knew what I meant.

I'm also hoping for a real answer to the original question that actionjack asked. How about that PCV? Does the Offy have the same port for that sorta offset piece with the hose barb in the Weber conversion kit for the PCV hookup? I thought I read somewhere about a specific year's water plate for the underside? Where could one get just a straight spacer since some of us can't re-use our spiral bore adapters or redline adapters?

Also Dog & truck, your thermostat housing wouldn't seal, but did you ever take it out for a short drive just to see if it was worth fixing to make it seal? Did it perform otherwise for you?

I haven't done as much research on Offy's and everything involved with them, seeing as how I need to fix my rod knock first, but if I can get straight answers here to refer to later and get the original questions answered, then it'd be pretty sweet.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:46 PM

ok, your gonna need the 81-83 thermostat housing. The one on your truck will not work. LCE has em. I think they sell em for $50. You might be able to find one cheaper though.

If the OFFY manifold is the one built for the weber and not the stock carb then you won't need the adapter plate that comes with the redline kit.

If it's the single piece adapter, I'd be willing to buy it from ya for a reasonable price BTW.

You should be able to swap out the fuel heater stuff from under your factory intake right over to the new manifold.

One thing I am not sure about with the offy's is the middle water passage. I think it's related to the fuel heater stuff under the manifold and I think if blocking that off with LCE's block off plate you would also need to block that part off as well.

After you install the weber, depending on how wore out your factory return spring is in the linkage, you might have to use a supplemental return spring. I did. None are available and you will have to fab something up.

The redline kit I believe does not come with the fuel cut-off sol either. You may or may not need it to prevent the engine from run on (dieseling) after shutting it off. Some people haven't some people have, including myself. TO me, even if you don't have that problem, the way I think about it, the factory carb has one, you should put one on as well. Webercarbsdirect.com has them for pretty cheap.

the offy manifolds have the provision for the PCV hose barb stuff that will come with the kit.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-10-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:55 PM

while your in there and have the intake off, you'll probably want to either make or buy an EGR valve block off plate. You will be saying good bye to it. I left mine in place for now as I didn't realize it "deleted" the egr before hand. I believe the PAIR system also gets deleted as well. As the hookups for the air supply to the reed valve gets removed from the old air filter housing. LCE also has block off plates for that as well.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:05 PM

Hmmm, maybe I should just put a breather on the port in the front of the valve cover, since the pcv valve is hooked to straight manifold vacuum. I know I'm getting oil in the carb through the line from the front of the valve cover now, but my engine has lots of problems, really. Who knows...

Thanks for sharing your experience, as I'm still a little undecided what I'm going to do on my engine in the long run. I already felt the Offy is expensive, but wasn't sure if it was worth it.