Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Man...I need help, or advice...I need direction with this

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man...I need help, or advice...I need direction with this

Well, I'm pretty torn over my 88 4Runner. I bought it, lifted it, and put it on 35's. I did NOT paint it though. While it's cool to get the "nice truck", "awesome truck", head nods showing volunteer fireman's approval of my truck, I just can't deal with the freakin bright green and the terrible hood graphics anymore.

I have removed the front valance, and I like the look much better. My friend is also lifting some steel from his work so I can fab my front bumper (I do professional fabrication, mostly stainless TIG welding, etc). Anyway, I've been lookin at the visor, flares, and paint color and just can't decide on what to do.

I've thought about ditchin the flares for rust prevention, because as of right now my truck is all but rust free. The visor, while not my particular favorite, I'm torn over removing. All this leads me to paint though, because I will have to do some body work removing the visor, and I have one body repair to do thanks to a BIG rock making friends with the rocker panel.

So, while I know it's my truck (so save those comments), I'm curious what others would do, so give me your thoughts. I'd like to keep the paint job easy (i.e. rattle can if possible). I have an HVLP, but I really don't have a good location to paint to that level of quality, plus rattle can jobs are easy to scratch fix. I just want the truck to look more aggressive and not so....show truck...but I like the "nice truck" comments so...I'm torn.

So......what color, flares or no, visor or no?

Last edited by RC000E; 07-11-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off....sweet rig man! But I agree, that color is a bit loud and needs to go. If she were mine, I would like to see her in a black or silver. I would keep the flares and definately remove the visor.

And later on down the road, maybe switch out the solid black wheels for some MT II's or something similar!

She is a bute though! Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by Geographeen; 07-11-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Id paint it flat black and call it good, i mean if your going to offroad it its going to lose the nice truck factor pretty fast, id keep the flares and take the visor off.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:53 AM

Swampthing has his that color and loves it.... maybe its a redneck thing, but I dig it as well on yours and his..

One question though, how do you like the tires?

But, personally I'd keep it... It's sweet. But, then again I'm not you.

If you want to repaint it rattle can, still you'll need to sand it down and clean it good before you paint, good thing about rattle can I suppose is you can have a can or 2 with you at all times and do instant fixes
Old 07-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

CAMO... lots of possibilities
Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kaydon
If you want to repaint it rattle can, still you'll need to sand it down and clean it good before you paint, good thing about rattle can I suppose is you can have a can or 2 with you at all times and do instant fixes
Old 07-11-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd ditch the visor and spray $20 worth of dark gray primer on it for now. If it was mine it wouldn't be that color by the weekend. Then if you want nice color just sand it down when you get ready to and put it in a shop for your color of choice.

It is a nice truck but wtf would someone be thinking to paint it that color?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:01 PM

no visor, paint it red, keep the flares. anything will be better than swamp vomit.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:06 PM

"You better get yourself some cheap sunglasses" -ZZTop

And I actually like the visor.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by RC000E
Well, I'm pretty torn over my 88 4Runner. I bought it, lifted it, and put it on 35's. I did NOT paint it though. While it's cool to get the "nice truck", "awesome truck", head nods showing volunteer fireman's approval of my truck, I just can't deal with the freakin bright green and the terrible hood graphics anymore.

I have removed the front valance, and I like the look much better. My friend is also lifting some steel from his work so I can fab my front bumper (I do professional fabrication, mostly stainless TIG welding, etc). Anyway, I've been lookin at the visor, flares, and paint color and just can't decide on what to do.

I've thought about ditchin the flares for rust prevention, because as of right now my truck is all but rust free. The visor, while not my particular favorite, I'm torn over removing. All this leads me to paint though, because I will have to do some body work removing the visor, and I have one body repair to do thanks to a BIG rock making friends with the rocker panel.

So, while I know it's my truck (so save those comments), I'm curious what others would do, so give me your thoughts. I'd like to keep the paint job easy (i.e. rattle can if possible). I have an HVLP, but I really don't have a good location to paint to that level of quality, plus rattle can jobs are easy to scratch fix. I just want the truck to look more aggressive and not so....show truck...but I like the "nice truck" comments so...I'm torn.

So......what color, flares or no, visor or no?

Got any more pics? How many miles do you have on it?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:10 PM

paint it OD Green, flat black or any version of camo. When you scratch it, grab the cans and fix it. As far as the flares, that depends on your local laws...some need the flares to cover the whole wheel to be legal.

I would just paint the thing and wheel it.

Hayes
Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Be cool, and get a camo "wrap"
Old 07-11-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
I'd ditch the visor and spray $20 worth of dark gray primer on it for now. If it was mine it wouldn't be that color by the weekend. Then if you want nice color just sand it down when you get ready to and put it in a shop for your color of choice.

It is a nice truck but wtf would someone be thinking to paint it that color?
Man, I agree.
I hear some other comments about painting it flat black, but crappy-looking first Gen's are everywhere. Sure rattle can is cheap and much better than 1980's puke green. I think you should do the body work (sand and prime) and take it in to a local shop (or even MACCO) and paint it according to your interior. Red goes with everything and looks good.

Keep the flares, ditch the visor (what's it's purpose anyway, they sell sunglasses at gas stations for like, $15 bucks), paint it, and it'll be sweet.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would ditch the flares and stick, kinda unsettled about the visor.

Spray bombing is pretty damn easy if you take your time.
I did my fender and valance in my driveway, took about 3 hours to remove, clean, sand, prime , paint , clear and install. I also had painted and cleared the inside of the valance and fender to protect from rust.

Wetsanding would be best though ( I skipped that as I didnt want to have to wait for my driveway to dry)

Best of all, its so easy to touch up!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kaydon
Be cool, and get a camo "wrap"
Not sure if you were serious...I would say no but heres some random info..
The wraps are an interesting idea.... I had some vehicles done with a company logo and graphics. (former Job) Looks good but fades out and a scratch will cost..... Moister can also get under it in spots and we all know how well the 1st gen holds up against rust......
Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 PM

I love fast moving high member forums....so many responses so quickly...it's the best.

Anyway, I've tossed around the thought of camo, black, and the desert scheme that vehicles in Iraq have. Camo seems done often, but if you can execute a well laid out version I think it stands out. Black is good, but I don't have to go on about easily seen flaws and swirls etc.

So everyone seems about the flares, and not about the visor. I thought more people would be about ditchin the flares.

I agree that there are plenty of junk looking 86-89 4Runners around, and I don't want to add to the pool. I'd like to keep my truck clean and taken care of looking. I don't do any hardcore...potential body damage wheeling, just trails and what not. I don't feel the truck is in the condition to start getting destroyed with body damage and what not as a "trail beater".

Camo is definitely tempting....easy to scratch fix, looks good when laid out right, and can keep the truck clean looking. Plus it gives a more aggressive look while maintaining the clean truck appearance.

More opinions....
Old 07-11-2007, 01:40 PM

I actually like it the way it is, but if i would repaint that, i would leave the visor(diggin it!) and the flares, and paint the whole thing beamin blue, like microsoft paint blue, super intense blue. but thats just me
Old 07-11-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I forgot the flares...

I'm not a big fan of them either. I don't have to run them in FL so I don't. Those are more personal preference though as I don't dislike trucks that run them, I just wouldn't have them on my truck.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Yeah....just to comment on the legality thing of the flares...for one technically you need them here, but noone really makes a big deal of it. If they did, then I work for a local police dept....so it'd be...."let go with a warning"...lol.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the color isn't the greatest, but at best, it is clean. I really like a clean rig, and I for one would never take a spray can to that rig as it is a very sweet clean looking rig. Taking a spray can to that would be like a crazy thing to do to me, but it is your truck. I love the flairs, but not to crazy about the visor. That would go if it was my rig.

Also for the record, that color will be talked about, I don't see a thing wrong with that.

Quick Reply: Man...I need help, or advice...I need direction with this