Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Man, am I stoked!! Tailgate window fixed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, am I stoked!! Tailgate window fixed.

Got my 4Runner back after a while with an engine change. No 3.4 swap, just straight 3.slow install and my rear window would not go down. I looked on here and other 4Runner forums to find out all I could about why. I checked the rubber strip and it looks brand new. No rips, cracks or tears. It ran smooth before and then nothing when I got it back so I thought maybe a fuse or relay or something. Tried to find out how it works by looking at the wiring diagrams, but couldn't find it. Luckily I did not rip out the back cover and all to take a look at it and ran across a thread about the rear window. It said to look at the rear wiper to make sure it is securely locked in it's cradle in the off position. There is a safety brake there where the wiper will not come on if the window is not fully closed and one that the window will not roll down if the wiper is not fully locked in the upper wiper cradle. I remember trying to change the rear wiper, but couldn't get the aftermarket wiper to go on and said screw it and left it loose. It was off the window, but not all the way snug in the cradle. Saw a post on here about the wiper safety switch and ran out to test it out. Turned on the wiper and then off to get it to go in its cradle nice and snug and WHHAHH LAAA!!!! It works! No problems. Nice and smooth. yeah baby! Can ya feel it? ugh, ugh, ugh.

So lessons learned are as follows:
1.) this forum helps.
2.) Be patient to correctly diagnose the problem before going in to fix it.
3.) Look thru the archives or search the forum first before asking the same old question.

I will post my thanks to the solver of this problem and maker of my day when I find the post again in my search. It was an old post.

Thanks all. You never knew it, but you helped!!

siris

Here he is. The man of the day. Sorry no cash awarded, just heart felt 'thanks.' I can always pay you with a smile.

Thanks Toddowaddo!

Originally Posted by toddowaddo
Make sure the rear wiper is seated, there is a switch there as well. That befuzzeled me for about a week before I figured it out. I ended up by passing the switch.

Last edited by OSIRIS; 10-02-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:48 AM

hahaha, that happened to me after going wheeling, i guess all of the bouncing around had an affect on it.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its the simple pleasures in life....
Old 09-22-2009, 06:18 AM

I was getting ready to rip out the old motor and replace it until I read this. Wish you could have seen the grin on my face when the window rolled down.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:55 PM

Thanks!!!

I had just bought my 87 4Runner two months ago. Came with non-op rear window and rear wiper. Searched through tons of threads. Most had references to 4Crawler's website.

DAMN that is one awesome site. It was practically a step by step on what to look for.

All I can say is thanks to yotatech and everyone that contributes, and special thanks to 4crawler!!

The rear window, the rear wiper, and the tailgate key switch all work now. Ahhhh, the simple pleasures of life