Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lucas - engine oil stop leak formula (Does this work)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Lucas - engine oil stop leak formula (Does this work)

hey

I have a small oil leak and i say this lucas engine oil stop leak treatment has anyone try this it is new

its 10$ i want to try it to resolve a small leak that could be coming from my oil pan do you think it will do the job

Also for the other Lucas products can anyone recommend them as seeing a noticeable difference.

thanks
Matt
Old 04-12-2008, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by simpsons721
hey

I have a small oil leak and i say this lucas engine oil stop leak treatment has anyone try this it is new

its 10$ i want to try it to resolve a small leak that could be coming from my oil pan do you think it will do the job

Also for the other Lucas products can anyone recommend them as seeing a noticeable difference.

thanks
Matt
Oil companies spend a zillion dollars (well, ok, a couple of dollars less) researching oil and the additives that go in.
Don't screw up all that research and money, simply get the leak fixed..
That's like some people "hey, I run 90wt and it stops the leaks".....

Whether Lucas works, I don't know. No first or second hand experience with it. In general oil additives are not a good thing.

Fred
Old 04-12-2008, 05:48 AM

Fix the leak, why put a bandaid on? Also, if it's not a bad leak, maybe you could live with it until you can afford to fix it. I wouldn't put that crap in my truck.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:19 AM

the problem is i dont want to do a big tear down to fix it someone on this forum said it could be coming from my oil pan

the location is in the middle a litlle after my skid plate ends
Old 04-12-2008, 06:24 AM

the problem is i dont want to do a big tear down to fix it someone on this forum said it could be coming from my oil pan

the location is in the middle a litlle after my skid plate ends
We all have to do things that we don't want to, but have to.
Part of owning a vehicle is the responsibility of fixing things that break and/or wear out. It's just a fact of life.

Fred
Old 04-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

simpson, where do you live? there may be members nearby that have experience in what you are describing that could help you fix it. put your location in your avatar, you might be surprised.

check out the fsm links at the top of this page, there will be trouble shooting tips you can look over and repair directions right from the factory. other than getting skinned knuckles, grease under your nails and dirt in your eyes you will save yourself hard earned money.

lee
Old 04-12-2008, 03:58 PM

My truck doesn't leak.... hell, it isn't even wet anywhere. But I run lucas anyways...

My truck definitely feels smoother... and it was pretty damn smooth before i tried it.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:22 PM

The Lucas is awesome stuff, put it in there and you're oil leaks will either stop or greatly decrease. Just not too much. I put in 1/2 quart in with a full oil change in substitute.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Lucas is by far the most amazing product I have ever used. I run almost all thier additives in my vehicles and i swear by them. Rebuild people and mechanics I have talked have been very impressed by what Lucas has done for the internals of an engine.

It does a really good job of stopping small leaks. the major cause of most small leaks is a worn or loose gasket. Lucas swells these gaskets up so they fill in the empty places.

and my opinion with the 3.0 is do as little unnecessary work as possible on it. Lucas will do th job and do it right
Old 04-12-2008, 05:34 PM

Lucas is kin to STP oil additive. Why can you no longer find STP oil additive? Because it trashed many a motor. It would build up in the bottom of the pan and eventually starve the oil pickup screen as it creates a clay like gray sludge. Thick, high viscosity oil doesn't belong in an engine. For those of you who read the garbage on the outside of the bottle and believe it are victims of subliminal programming by the advertisers. Their goal is to get your money.

Flame on.....

My $0.02
Old 04-12-2008, 05:36 PM

Lucas isn't STP though. It's Lucas.

Edit: I wouldn't run Lucas in a new engine BTW. Only in an old one that had high mileage which I was trying to extract more life out of.

Last edited by machabees; 04-12-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:41 AM

im confused machabess you were just talking up lucas so much and have heard mechanics die by it now you are saying you would only put it in an engine to get a few more miles out of it

I dont want to add anything bad even if i have 131,000 miles so im still confused if anybody else like lucas additives or what i just dont want to do anything bad to my engine
Old 04-13-2008, 07:59 AM

Take the time and replace the seals. Additives swell the seals, and then they will crack and fall apart, it only works for a little while. Don't bother.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:04 AM

Replacing an oil pan gasket seal is hardly a tear down.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Replacing an oil pan gasket seal is hardly a tear down.
x2. Fix the leak. Nothing you can't do in a couple hours on a day off.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:50 AM

im confused machabess you were just talking up lucas so much and have heard mechanics die by it now you are saying you would only put it in an engine to get a few more miles out of it

I dont want to add anything bad even if i have 131,000 miles so im still confused if anybody else like lucas additives or what i just dont want to do anything bad to my engine
Sorry didn't mean to confuse you. All I meant is I wouldn't run Lucas in a brand new motor. I run it in all my current vehicles. and I believe it helps older cars last longer and run better. the stuff really is amazing. If you only have a small leak use it and you will be very pleased.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:34 PM

Red face

thanks for the advice i will inspect the leak and either fix it right or use lucas
Old 08-28-2009, 06:55 AM

Oil Addatives

Hi:

I know this thread is old, but I own a 1984 V-12 Vanden Plas Jaguar. When I purchased the car six years ago, I lived in British Columbia Canada. For those that know, the Series III Jag engines were built WITHOUT oil pan gaskets. Precision engineering they call it. Unfortunately, the pan does slightly leak. You cannot buy a gasket and it is recommended that you do not attempt to install one.

Recently I moved to Calgary, Alberta Canada and moved my Jag. In order to pass the Alberta Inspection to obtain a certificate, I have thought of adding Lucas Oil Stop Leak for no other reason than to just pass it. I have found over the years that a lot of "KNOWLEDGABLE" people are totally ignorant of Jaguar V-12 engines, including the inspectors.

So although I agree with some of the comments on this thread, an engine teardown is out of the question. The Jaguar engineers felt they knew better. So why should I try to fix the unfixable?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=FredTJ;50803949]We all have to do things that we don't want to, but have to.
Part of owning a vehicle is the responsibility of fixing things that break and/or wear out. It's just a fact of life.

Thats very condescending, Fred.
I for one cant afford a $500 bill to fix my jeeps leak, Fred, nor am I able to fix it myself. But you know, Fred, some stop leak could save my car until I can have that gasket replaced. What would be helpful for us would be some advice from someone who has actually used the product, Fred, and not formed an opinion just because they have such devotion to the oil companies, Fred. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Fix the leak all that stuff will do is swell up the seals and give you a temp fix. Better to do it right the first time.

That being said, swapped a motor into my old S-10. Thing leaked 5L of oil every 250kms. Put a bottle of Wynns stop leak in the thing and it stopped the leak dead. Rolled the truck a few weeks later, wonder how long it would of lasted.

Quick Reply: Lucas - engine oil stop leak formula (Does this work)