Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lower End Rebuild

Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower End Rebuild

1990 22re 4wd

In the last year I have replaced complete timing, complete upper end. Now I have a rod bearing making noise so I'm gonna pull the crank and have it ground down and replace all rod and main bearings. Also, I'll be replacing the clutch since I'm already in there and also everything behind the exhaust manifold. I've got 180,000 miles on the truck. It's mainly a work truck and I don't want to spend money on anything I don't have to. Also, I'm in Calif. so I'm heavily restricted on what I can do on the exhaust side.

My question is what suggestions you all might have on what else I should do? Such as pistons, honing etc. Not looking to build a hot rod, just get my girl good and healthy.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Well, how far you want to go depends on what you want to spend. If your in there for the bearings it would be worth your while to at least do new rings. Everyone always says to do it right and do it complete. But that means more money of course. I'm doing a rebuild that I was originally going to do cheap with just rings, bearings and that. I found a lot of good info on the flex hone. I decided to just do a full rebuild but people do have success with doing a home hone and just replacing rings, not boring with new pistons and such. If you go the home hone method I'd recommend cast rings, they seal easier. Rock rings and the like have different coatings which make them last longer but harder to seal, esp if its a garage special machine job. Or you could do a full rebuild with machine block, bored over pistons, all new parts, etc. Depends on the time and money you want to spend. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by spokane.yota.man
Well, how far you want to go depends on what you want to spend. If your in there for the bearings it would be worth your while to at least do new rings. Everyone always says to do it right and do it complete. But that means more money of course. I'm doing a rebuild that I was originally going to do cheap with just rings, bearings and that. I found a lot of good info on the flex hone. I decided to just do a full rebuild but people do have success with doing a home hone and just replacing rings, not boring with new pistons and such. If you go the home hone method I'd recommend cast rings, they seal easier. Rock rings and the like have different coatings which make them last longer but harder to seal, esp if its a garage special machine job. Or you could do a full rebuild with machine block, bored over pistons, all new parts, etc. Depends on the time and money you want to spend. Good luck.
Thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM

Is the overbore on the block worth it?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 AM

Re boring is a safer bet. Even if cylinders look good they could still be out of round. The fsm gives specs for checking all that. There are lots of rebuild threads on here that you should read through, it will give good understanding of time and money involved. Also Google ttora fsm and download a manual, its a must have for a rebuild.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if your pulling the motor i say fully rebuild the block, if you wanna try to band-aid it try rolling in some new bearings its hit or miss.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
before considering a bandaid fix you should check your compresion and see where you stand.