86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Low power to 3000rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Low power to 3000rpm?

Normally I dont post up questions as I can figure it out for myself. But this one has me stumped.

1986 4Runner 22RE, 4x4, MT, Base model (enough info? lol)

Truck idles low, about 4-500 rpm and very rough. Has been doing it a little while, but its now very bad. Coming off higher RPM it almost dies.

Now, when I drive, it feels like it has very little power under 3000 rpm. About Then (3000 rpm) its like someone kicks on the NOS, and you can feel the truck jump and get a burst of power.

It also has a miss when driving, at just about any RPM. I am thinking it is electronic related, but im not 100% sure. The only CEL i have it code 5, which is for the O2 circuit, but that has been there ever since I installed my LCE header (one wire sensor too far away from the manifold)

Any help? Ideas? I am thinking AFM, but I do not have access to a Multi-meter to test it right now.

btw some quick "recent tune" info. Within the last year new: Cap, Rotor, Factory wires, Factory plugs, so i know its not tune-up related.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Staff

that might be part of it.....I never really thought about the EGR valve.

I bought a new one a while back, and didn't replace it yet. I think I will replace that tuesday after work. good suggestion! Keep em coming.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-water-132932/

http://toyotatruckworld.tenmagazines...pos=2&id=56169

I had a similar problem about a year ago. I did a full tune up (fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, cleaned intake, fuel system cleaner, and PCV), but it was all for naught. Then one day it went away. A couple of weeks ago it started again after a car wash. That's when I started that hesitation thread. Thought I had fixed it, but as it turns out I had not. Let me know if you figure it out.

Jason
Old 01-06-2008, 05:37 PM

plug the vacuum line coming from the top of your egr with a screw to see if thats it, then i'd try the afm, i had the same symptoms on my 3vze and what was the culprit
Old 01-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Staff

i am going to try tightening all the plugs, checking everything, etc etc. Might just be a loose connection, but it has sat for 3 weeks without being driven and just now is doing this.

I am going to be replacing the EGR valve, O2 sensor (it needs these parts anyways) and I'll check the AFM tomorrow.

it hasn't been involved in any water lately, so Im sure thats not an issue.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure none of the plugs melted to the header, check timing, maybe you have a blown fuse, or something simple.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Staff

No blown fuses
No plugs melted anywhere
Timing should about be dead nuts on. Unless it somehow took itself out of time by sitting lol.

I'll be checking little things like that as well.

And to top this lovely weekend off, my dodge started locking up the right rear brakes on friday, so It goes back to the Dodge dealer for *hopefully* warranty repairs and it wont cost me an arm and a leg.

AND my moms 95 4Runner started puking fuel from the #6 injector! DOH!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a tough new year for your cars... I meant to say plug wires, not just plugs. Did your truck sit for longer than 2 months with gas in the tank before it had this problem?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 AM

my first thought would be the egr, but before you go spend the money on replacing it you could just block it off to see if that is causing the problem, there it no real point in replacing something unless its causing a problem
Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by notanymore
my first thought would be the egr, but before you go spend the money on replacing it you could just block it off to see if that is causing the problem, there it no real point in replacing something unless its causing a problem
I bought a new EGR valve a year or so ago ($170 new from Toyota!!!) and have not gotten around to installing it. I suppose now would be a good time, eh?

I should be doing the work tomorrow, so I will keep ya'll updated.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:51 PM

wow, by chance my 4Runner is going through the exact same problem as yours. My symptoms started early 07'. I haven't driven it much since it started. I tried new plugs, then I recently put in a new fuel filter. After the filter it ran great for a quarter mile... frustrating.
My hands are kinda tied, so I took it to the local toyota dealer. Just got a call and they want to change the distributer cap and rotor. I gave the ok since it needed it anyway. I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem, but I'll let you know what they come up with next.
In the meantime, I'm really interested to hear if the EGR makes a difference for you. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Staff

Changed the EGR valve. Stumble went away.

Still have low idle, but I am going to clean my throttle body and check the IAC valve, and see what that does. I was planning on just replacing the IAC valve, but the dealer wants $154 my cost, so i think i am going to test it first lol.

I'll keep everyone updated!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:03 PM

good that you got the stumble to go away, if the idle is low does turning the idle screw up help? unless its broken i wouldnt want to spend $150 on something like that.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Staff

I turned the idle screw a bit as a temporary fix. I am going to take off my throttle body and clean it out, and while its off will check the IAC and AFM

First, i need to get my dodge back from the shop where its getting a new Torque converter and front trans pump (under warranty, yay!)
Old 01-09-2008, 09:03 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I think I am having the exact same problem as DeathCougar and Jason191918. I have put on a new tps, adjusted it, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, all new vacuum hoses, blocked off the egr, swapped in a good used tested ecu, cleaned the throttle body and seafoamed it, and it still comes back about every 5 to 10 days. Seems like it happens when the roads are wet, but I can't be sure it is water. All of these things I have done have been one or two at a time, and then it runs fine for a week, and then the problem comes right back. I just bought a new pcv to see if that helps at all. I also found some MAF cleaner to tryout on my AFM housing, and goin to shoot some wd40 on my elec connections.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:22 PM

I sunk my 94 22re as well. Same symptomes. But mine went away after about 15 miles of driving. The problem hasnt reoccured. Im interested on this topic as well.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Staff

I never sank the trunk tho. So I knew it wasn't water related.

Truck runs better now with the new EGR and O2 sensor than it ever has. Starts right up on the first spin of the starter!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:57 PM

update: so the dealer replaced the cap and rotor. They said it fixed the rough idle... well, apparently they didn't really test drive it afterward, because it only took me 3 miles and the power loss was there again.
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm going to try and test my EGR sometime this week. One post said to block off the EGR to test it. I'll give this a try to see if it causes the symptoms. thanks.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im aveing a simlar prblem with my 22r i was hopeing it just needed a tune up(cap rotor plugs wires and a fueil filter this time since i dont know when it was last replaced) i just got a oil change and a new air filter and a new fuel pump about 3k miles ago.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:28 AM

I too am having similar problems...22RE 93 4x4 PU, 148,000 miles. Runs fine upon startup. After about 2 minutes of driving it starts to idle rough and fair amount of hesitation until about 3200-3500 RPM. Also, problem seems to go away under WOT. So it seems to be emissions related. Changed the plugs, distributor cap and rotor a few thousand miles before the problem started. After doing some research I'm thinking it is the O2 sensor. No codes thrown though. Hesitant to spend $75-$100 for O2. FSM lists test procedure for O2 so I am going to try that first. Also, tried Seafoam through the intake but it didn't fix the problem.
One noteworthy point, just before the problem started I replaced my downpipe due to a leak. Since I had the O2 off, I cleaned it with acetone and also brake cleaner (based on a thread in this forum). I'm wondering if it did something to the O2?
Weather is cold right now so have been putting this off. But I am getting tired of driving this thing every day with such a nasty hesitation. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

Quick Reply: Low power to 3000rpm?