YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Low Oil Level Symptoms

I have a 91 toyota pickup with a 3VZE 5-speed 2WD. Recently i have been experiencing lack of power from the truck. Some days when i would start the truck up it would spit and sputter from the exhaust. It was almost like a knocking sound coming from the exhaust as if it was misfiring. When i would go to give it gas all it would do would spudder and slowly gain speed but some days it would be completely fine. I also noticed that the engine was running a lot hotter then usual. I thought it was my spark plugs, rotor, cap, wires, and all that stuff so i replaced all of it. Had my fuel pump replaced, as well as fuel filter and fuel pump sock. New injectors and all that good stuff. Today it started acting up on me again and running like crap, pressed the gas and it would just spit and knock from the exhaust. Took her home today only to find that the dipstick for oil wasn't reading any oil at all, i was about 2 quarts low. Filled her up and she seams to be running alright. Would low oil levels cause these types of symptoms or would it be something else?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
ItFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #2

could be completely unrelated.
how could it eat that much oil?
when was the last time you checked it?
last change?

clean your throttle body and check your air filter.
also check the intake for cracks in the hoses
86 Chevy Camaro Iroc-Z 63,000miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin94 View Post
And changing your blinker fluid regularly reduces build up, and allows for higher visibility. But only use the Toyota brand from the Toyota dealership.
LOOKING FOR: Short bed for 89-95 pickup (CLICK HERE!)
91muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #3

I got to the "2 quarts low" part, and now I feel ill. That might be a concern, yeah. Hope it ain't trashed. I gotta go get some air.
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!
MudHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #4

2 uarts low still shows on the dip stick, these engines have a huge oil pans, it amazes me.

Quote:
And changing your blinker fluid regularly reduces build up, and allows for higher visibility. But only use the Toyota brand from the Toyota dealership.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

i just brought the truck out maybe 2 weeks ago, before i brought it out i changed the oil and oil filter. When i checked the oil last night it was only showing up barely on the dipstick. It runs fine now that i added oil but i cant believe its leaking that fast. Air filter is brand new, intake is brand new, along with all the silicon couplings. New TPS, MAF, spark plugs, dist. cap, rotor, wires, valve cover gaskets, ignitor/coil, alternator, radiator, all hoses, almost everything has been replaced. Its fine now just still seems to have loss of power. I put a new fuel pump in about 2 weeks ago because my engine was hesitating really bad and was only pushing about 12LBS of pressure. I replaced that and the truck ran awesome up until last night. The engine isnt trashed, i keep great care of the truck believe me, about a week ago the oil was completely fine, i have no clue why it just started running like ☺☺☺☺ again, but now its fine, no taps or anything and runs great, but still feels slugish then what is used to, maybe i water in the gas or something.
ItFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:06 PM   #6

I always check my oil daily when i first buy a truck .. Until i learn what its going to do.. Its a good habbit to make your self do.. The first few days if i'm running it alot , i might check it several times
Old 05-31-2007, 04:28 PM   #7

so is it leaking or is it burning it? if its not leaking you should do a compression test
Old 05-31-2007, 09:03 PM   #8

x2 on the compression

also, fuel filter?

Quote:
Old 08-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
Contributing Member

eaklandc
Send a message via MSN to Tofer
missing oil + "hotter than normal" i'm thinking possible HG?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pacific-crawlers.com
Tofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #10

jason freudigmann
Send a message via ICQ to jason191918 Send a message via AIM to jason191918 Send a message via MSN to jason191918 Send a message via Yahoo to jason191918
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91muddog View Post
x2 on the compression

also, fuel filter?
He said fuel filter in first post.

I leak about a quart every week or so (rear main, oil pan, valve covers....) and have has it so it was just barely touching the dipstick. If you were only 2 quarts low you should be fine. Back in the day they would drain 2 quarts to get more horsepower.

1992 Pickup V6, 4x4, 5 speed, SR5, 300,000 miles young, every option except automatic tranny

31x10.5R15 | K&N FIPK | Cherry Bomb | 3" BL | 4 110W KC Light Bar | 6'6" Western Plow | 800W 10" Sony | 850W Sound Storm | 2 4" Obcon | 4 1" Rockford Fosgate Tweeters | 2 High Pass Crossovers | 2 High-Low Pass Crossovers | 2 6.5" Rockford Fosgate | Pioneer 4x50W Head Unit | Mechanical Oil Pressure Gage | Lack of EGR | Blinker Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvota View Post

Jason is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon1213 View Post
Jason rocks!!! :banger:
jason191918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #11

I don't think 2 quarts would have done any damage, especially since you caught it.

When I first bought mine, I was told it had a rebuild done 10K ago, I checked it when I first got it home and it was full, so I didn't check it for a few weeks, and when I did, it took me 3.5 quarts to get to the Full line on the dipstick. I was running around towing a trailer with A/C on and all with about 1.5qts in the engine. I felt physically ill for about 2 days.

But the engine never even hickuped, and never made any noise and I haven't had any issues at all.

Now I check it every day. Must be burning a lot because I went through 3.5qts in about 750 miles.....no leaks anywhere!!

I agree with Robrt32, when you get a new(used) truck, check it every day.
mmcpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
95, avalon, dipstick, level, loss, low, oil, pickup, power, pressure, quarts, signs, spitting, sputtering, symptoms, times, toyota