Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Low idle and low power

Old 05-24-2011, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low idle and low power

my 85 22RE seems to be misfiring. i have replaced all the spark plugs, checked all the cables, and checked the distributer cap for corrosion. i just had to replace a few things, i put in new seals and the speedy sleeve on the oil pump, and had to jb weld a crack in the timing cover. fixed the oil leak but im still having problems with my idle. i have considered adjusting it but im not sure if that will solve the problem. any other suggestions on things to try.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:09 PM

It's not mentioned in your post, so just to rule it out, did you check the ignition timing already? What kind of plugs are you running? Mine only seems to run right on NGK's. Also, have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 PM

havent checked for ignition timing, i was going to do a compression test tomorrow. i have NGK spark plugs in it right now, i was also gonna get new spark plugs tomorrow. isnt it true that if you have a vacuum leak that your power brakes dont work as well? if so, my brakes are working perfectly.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 PM

If I am off, someone please correct me, but it is my understanding that because the brake booster has a check valve between it and the intake manifold and can store vacuum, it would not be as severely affected by a minor vacuum leak in the system. However, a minor vacuum leak could significantly affect idle and drivability. I would definately check ignition base timing as well.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 PM

alright thats first thing tomorrow morning. what do i need to do to check ignition timing?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 PM

I started to type it out, then found this on the marlin crawler website so I borrowed it instead. Also, here is a link to pics of the terminals that it is talking about. 4crawler's website is great for this stuff.

http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/...CheckConnector (1/3 of the way down the page)

Here's how it works: TE1 and E1 are two terminals of the diagnostic check connector (next to the under-hood fuse box). When cheking timing, first find the little timing notch on the crankshaft pulley, and dab it with some white paint or something similar so that it will show up under a timing light. Now locate the timing marks on the engine block. You can use a Standard Service Tool (SST) that is made for jumping the terminals, or just get a little piece of copper wire out of any spare wiring you can find around the garage, or possibly even use a paper-clip, although I get a better connection with the wire, it seems like. Now start your truck and make sure that the engine is idling at 850 for 4wd, 750 for 2wd. If adjustment is necessary, turn the idle adjustment screw (big black flathead screw on the throttle body). Counter-clockwise to raise idle, clockwise to lower. Once the idle speed is sitting correctly, stick one end of the wire in the TE1 terminal and the other end in the E1 terminal. This retards the timing, and must be done for good results. With the terminals jumped, attach the timing light however is needed depending on what light you have, and then shine on the timing marks. The white notch should line up with the 5 mark on the engine block (5 degrees before top dead center). If it does not, loosen the distributor hold-down bolt and slowly move the distributor until the marks line up correctly. A friend may be helpful for this. Now tighten the distributor, making sure not to mess up your adjustment when doing so. Now pull out the connector from the two terminals, and the timing should advance itself to 10-14 degrees BTDC (the last mark on the engine block is 12). If the timing does not advance when pulling out the connector, you have "inability to set correct base timing", which opens up a whole new problem. Hopefully you will be fine in this regard. Now drive the truck around, listen to see if it is idling/running smoothly, and make sure you don't here any engine pinging. If you hear pinging try again at setting the timing. If not, you're good to go! Here's a link to the popular online Factory Service Manual, it has instructions with pictures. The Haynes manual also has good instructions, you can probably find it in a library or something. Hope this helps, good luck with your truck!

http://myweb.dal.ca/is353832/93fsm/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-25-2011, 06:21 PM

Since I tinker a lot I did what 4crawler did and made up a switch panel under the hood and riveted it to the fender. It works great, and I made it long enough add a few more switches..like one for the underhood lights I got.

I still never set my timing by the light, I just set mine by ear and feel, but I think I'll be digging the light out just to double check it.