86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Low Fuel Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Fuel Light

Several years ago, I successfully replaced my factory instrument cluster with the SR5 cluster that has all the extra gauges. This was so long ago, it was pre-internet, so I never got the message about replacing the oil pressure sending unit and burned up that gauge (have since fixed that). It has always bothered me that the cluster includes a low fuel light on the fuel gauge that does not work. Is there a different fuel tank sending unit required to make that work? Not that I am going to drop the tank to put it in, I just always wondered if that was why the light never worked.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:12 AM

A few searches on the this forum seem to have answered this question. There is, indeed, a different in-tank sending unit for the gauge cluster with the low fuel light. Next question is, if I had a wild-hair to replace the sending unit with the correct one, is the truck pre-wired for this, and would the connectors match? Or would I have to string a makeshift wire all the way from the tank to the dash to accomplish this?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 AM

Find the location of the light on the cluster, then look on the plugs that go into the cluster.
Is your a pickup or 4runner? My 92 4runner has it and it works. Never found info if it was strictly a 4runner thing or if it was available in the pickups also.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:11 AM

Mine is the pickup. I know from searching that the sending unit in the tank is defferent for the trucks originally equipped with the SR5 cluster, so that is a no brainer. My question is really can I get the matching sending unit either new or from the junkyard and have it plug right into the harness on a non SR5 truck (originally). As far as I ahve found, everything else seems to indicate they only used one harness for both trucks. For example, mine had no clock in the dash, but I bought one and the connector was there. I swapped out the instument cluster, and the connectors all fit. My truck has no A/C, but the plugs are all there to hook it up, just tied off under the hood. This leads me to believe that the harness will accept the new sending unit, but I wanted to hear from someone who had done this successfully, before I go to the trouble of dropping the tank to switch them out.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Both Guages SR5 and Non SR5 have the Low Fuel Light spot available in them. You are correct about the fuel tank guage being different. The Low Fuel Light Float Assembly is a 3 wire hook up where as the Non Fuel Light is a 2 wire hook up. I personally have never been able to get the light to work when trying to add this option. In my 86 and 88Runner threads below, somewhere in one of them, I show the light in the gauges and the differences in the float assemblies.

The accesories that you added can be added to a base model truck. If I am correct, alot of the trucks came here and the dealer added AC to them and that is how I understand it.

I will say as far as the main harness, there are different part numbers for each option that the harness supports. For example, it sounds like your truck was a base model truck. I really dont think you can add electric windows or cruise control to yours with just plug and play connectors like the factory did. You would need to splice into a wire some where to add those.

I may be incorrect on the main harness and have not really read that anywhere, but will say I have swapped enough harnesses and that is just something I have noticed while doing it. The harness part number is just above the steering column and finding the same harness number is a tough job at times if you are wanting the exact same options.

You can use a 3 wire float assembly and your fuel gauge will work, I just have not been able to get the Low Light to work. You may have some success but I have not myself.

I did not see which year you were talking about. I am more comfortable with the 84-88 but alot of this does apply to the 89-95.

By the way I see you live in the same town as I do. Oops!!! different state, lol...

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-21-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:20 AM

Wow...now thats what I call a comprehensive answer....THANK YOU!

I never thought about the power window option, but I have no desire for that anyway. I am, however, understanding that you are telling me that the 3 wire float assembly WILL plug into my exixting harness, but your experience is that this does not provide a working low-fuel light. I suppose there is no way to know for sure until I try it.

I can tell you that my factory cluster (which only had speed, fuel, and temp) seems to have NOT included a low fuel light anywhere. At least I cannot find it.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have seen several harness numbers for the same year. Another option is a glove box light and by the hood release there is a place for a drop light. Those have to be wired in at the factory. I think each option changes the harness part number and any number of options will make that part number vary.

My 86 was a base model and the fuel light worked in it. I did have to change the harness as a mouse chewed mine up. The harness I got apparently did not have the fuel option, so now my light does not work. I have the 3 wire float and added an SR5 guage and it still does not work. I feel that main harness is not wired for it. Everything else works. I could be wrong and if you was to get yours working let me know what you did. These are 84-88 gauges. Not sure on the next generation.

Non SR5 gauge, the fuel light is just above the brake light.
Name:  IMG_20140821_140920_zpswtrp4flc.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  184.3 KB

SR5 Gauge.
Name:  IMG_20140821_140953_zpspx88niy6.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  174.9 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-21-2014 at 11:21 AM.