Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lovin my 92 - Running after Swimming;-)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lovin my 92 - Running after Swimming;-)

Well,

Took her out Saturday evening with my kids to splash puddles down at the local _ mud spot, and we were having a blast. Well, I was just grazing the sides of the puddles as my daughter gets scared but she said, daddy go through the big one, so I did a couple of doughnuts and hit it with some speed.

Watched the hood disapear, then most of the windshield, heard the giggles and then felt the sputter - Oh well, it was fun.

She made it out to the other side of the puddle but the kids and I walked the 3 miles home to get my tools. Got there, drove my car back and pulled the 1st plug, sure enough, muddy water

So then I opened the airbox and it was full, proceeded to pull all the plugs, dry out the airbox, and turn the engine over with no plugs in getting a ton of water out Put all back together and she wouldn't crank. I have free towing so I got on the phone and had them pick us up and tow us home.

Fast forward to last night, wetn out and tinkered with it, got the old 3.0 to fire, needed to clean the MAF and flapper wheel, then I also ran a towel through the top of the intake manifold, and took the plugs out and turned her over a bit, A Crapload of water came out the exhaust, had a few backfires, but she seems fine now.

My question is this, HOW in the world did so much water get in the oil. After running it for maybe 3-4 minutes to get the water out of the engine, I pulled the dipstick and it is like a chocolate milkshake. Is that normal? I've hydrolocked and engine before, but when I did that I bent a connetting rod and it didn't look this bad.

Doing the oil change this evenign and then gonig to start driving it again, should I do a coolant flush as well?

Oh, the good thing out of this is I thought I bent the valves so I started looking for a 3.4, found a rolled 96 Runner for 900 with EVERYTHING So going to pick that up next week hopefully. I'll pull everythign off the 96 and sell some parts then have the local junkyard pick it up
Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water in the oil is very likely because the oiling system is not a fully sealed system.. Water gets in the oil through the dipstick, valve cover, it leaks past the piston rings.. I'm pretty sure those few revolutions before it hydrolocked, the compression was just forcing water past the piston ring, maybe even through the valve guides (please nobody quote me on the valve guides).. I hydrolocked a 4 horse trash pump when it tipped over into the bunker full of water I was draining, and that oil looked like a vanilla milk shake 30 seconds after it fired up again.. It took me 2 flushes of the oil before it stopped appearing to have milk mixed in with it..

The coolant should be fine because it is a fully sealed system, Unless you were leaking coolant somewhere. Not only is it fully sealed, but it should have been full to capacity, aside from your overflow bottle..
Old 12-08-2009, 06:14 AM

Sweet, good to know, I'll change the oil and filter today, and yes, it looks pretty bad, but I'll get it switched out

Thanks for the info man
Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 AM

yea no problem.. I was impressed to read that it fired up.. I'm also impressed that your daughter giggled when the water was coming over the windshiled, I'm pretty sure my gf would have been crying..
Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by blue_CA_yota
yea no problem.. I was impressed to read that it fired up.. I'm also impressed that your daughter giggled when the water was coming over the windshiled, I'm pretty sure my gf would have been crying..

Tell me about it, so impressed with it right now from just simply doing those few things, if you could see how much water was in the cylinders and airbox you would yourself, it's very impressive.

And I wrote about the giggles because my son is as crazy as me, but this wast he first time my daughter got into it, she's fearless in most things, but not motorcycles, surfing, or 4 wheeling - yet;_)
Old 12-08-2009, 09:51 AM

thats sounds fun man good to hear it started hey. how do you find a 900 dollar 3.4 4runner haha, if there was one around here i would buy it in a heart beat but i cant find much and the only 3.4's i find are just engines and they are asking 500 up to 1500??
Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
thats sounds fun man good to hear it started hey. how do you find a 900 dollar 3.4 4runner haha, if there was one around here i would buy it in a heart beat but i cant find much and the only 3.4's i find are just engines and they are asking 500 up to 1500??
Haha,

it's a rare find for sure, most engines, ecu, and harness run 1500 at least. So to find a well running, medium milage whole thing for 1200 then talk them down is phenominal

Honestly only reason I found it was because I was digging cause I thought I had to have the engine, took a different urgency and it turned up Found a 4.0 v6, trans, no harness though but ECU for 1500 with 48k on it too, but that would be a hard ass swap.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 PM

oyah well good find then haha. oyah 4.0L sounds tuff but who knows. i think the 3.4 has tons of potential and i have heard people have got them over 400hp N/A haha for me its everything forged, oversized valves, TRD supercharger, headers, and a 2200lb clutch hehe