Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lost of smooth Idle/bottom end torque

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lost of smooth Idle/bottom end torque

Howdy all, I need some heavy brain work for this sudden problem. I have a 94 Toyota PU V6 4WD. On a drive just last week the A/C quit for some reason and this is connected to the Flex-a-Lite fan (just for the fan to engage when the A/C is on). I just had to rewire the connection from the A/C compressor and the fan. During the repair of rewiring I did something really stupid I left the Main Starter wire off the battery and of course would not start. I completely forgot about the Starter wire not connected to the battery. I was very puzzled, I checked the Main fuse block in the right side of the engine where the main starter Relay is located. I decided to pull the Relay and check it any short-out marks it was Ok,but for some stupid reason I thought about switching the EFI relay & the Starter relay(since they are the same). Suddenly I came to my senses and stopped trying to pull the EFI main relay. I knew I was missing something, I saw the Main Starter cable hidden behind the intake and quickly hooked it up and jump in and started the motor and it started right up, and ran but not very good smooth idle was gone and running horrible acting like a sensor of some kind or a RELAY out when I checked the EFI I push on it (very loose) and it snap back in place. Now, that has help some,but it's not running as smooth as it did, timing is right where it should be and it still drives, but not good, at low RPM's with surge and stumble with loss of bottom end torque. I plead with all of you to give me some idea's to fix this. I have been planning to leave on a cross country road trip and truck was running great plenty of power(JETCHIPS) great idle, a nice smooth rumble. The trip to Williamsburg and back to Baltimore netted 18.5 MPG and now it's running really BAD. Thanks STEVE
Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 AM

Hi, After a visit to my Toyota shop the Tech said it was ignition problem, cap, rotor spark plugs and wires. Still runs like crap, and a popping noise coming from exhaust. My guess now is bad gas, anybody have similar problems. Thanks Steve
Old 08-02-2007, 10:45 AM

i had that same problem just last week. look at your cap and rotor. i had to replace mine. also look over the spark plug wires, to make sure they are not damaged. also take one spark plug out and make sure there is not a lot of carbon buildup on it.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd look at your ignition...like cap, rotor, wires, plugs...flint, steel...

Last edited by thook; 08-02-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:16 PM

Hi, I replaced cap, rotor, plugs and wires still idle a little smoother but a popping noise coming from the exhaust. Maybe Bad fuel, I feel it's something else like EGR, at this time no engine lite at checked EMC the test on the warning lite is normal. This truck went from running perfect to running like crap almost within minutes after filling it up with gas.