Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Looking for pickup need advice on motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for pickup need advice on motor

Im new to these forums so i apologize if this has been asked a million times but i would love some advice. Right now im selling my 84 5.0 mustang to buy a Toyota truck. Im looking for a 85-95 5spd 4x4 most in my price range (3k-3.5K) are 89-91 models it seems. I know the 22re motor is an excellent motor but ive also considered the 3.0. I am used to V8 power and ive drove some 22re's but ive never drove a 3.0. I was wondering if there was much power difference between them and how does the gas mileage differ between the two. And most importantly is the 3.0 a decent motor? Ill probably just end up getting a 4cyl because i have heard nothing but good things about them but i am curious about the 3.0 since i havent heard much about that motor. Any advice would be appreciated for me when looking for one im very knowledgable on fords mainly, mustangs but i dont know much about foreign trucks. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you find an 85 PU in good shape buy it! but anyways, the 22re is an excellent motor, arguably one of the best that toyota ever built. but, with a stock h.p. rating of something like 112 to tote around a 4000lb+ truck is just mean! fuel economy is naturally better verses the V6.

i have the V6 and i have no complaints. i know many people with both motors and no one complains much. they are both good little motors and will provide many trouble free miles. i would personally recommend the V6. i have driven and owned both, and even with the slowest automatic on the face of the earth coupled to mine, it is still faster, more powerful, more fun to drive, and stronger than my previous 22re with manual.

there is indeed a dramatic difference in power. the torque produced by the 3vze V6 at idle is more than that of the 22re at peak, so if hauling detail is what this truck is going to be about, you know which you need. if you want something quick off the line and don't care so much about the top end, get the V6. for speed, get the 22re.

ohh, and if you go with either, do yourself a favor and DON'T buy the automatic, they both blow balls.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive never drove the 3.0 either but from what ive read on this board and several others like it.. I would never own 1 unless i get real GOOD deal on it.. From what i read they just don't seem to hold up like the 4 bangers. But a bunch of power is not what i want, I rather have MPG
Old 06-10-2007, 07:18 PM

I actually love my 3.0, at least til I put a knock in it. Its got something like 50more tq than the 22re. My only complaint is the lack of aftermarket for it and the lack of engine compartment room. With 31's, 456's and the 3.0 I had a peppy little truck that got 20mpg.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:26 PM

Got my 22re here, great on fuel, has enough pep. Still my yota is the slowest vehicle i've ever owned. but i didn't buy it to win races.
my 22re with the 5speed and 4.10's arent the right combo to roll my 33's. but the truck did go pretty good when i had the 31's on there.
my vote 22re.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stomis
I actually love my 3.0, at least til I put a knock in it. Its got something like 50more tq than the 22re. My only complaint is the lack of aftermarket for it and the lack of engine compartment room. With 31's, 456's and the 3.0 I had a peppy little truck that got 20mpg.
in full agreeance. id never go back to the 4 cylinder!! 20 mpg with all that ☺☺☺☺☺?!?! thats awesome!

reliability wise, the only issue is head gaskets for the V6. if they were done and done right during the factory recall special service campaign, then no worrys. as for the 22re's, they eat through timing chains, and i know a couple of people that had to rebuild their 22re's, and no one i know had to rebuild their 3vze.

i think everyone likes to chalk up the 22re as the little engine that could, so you never hear the bad and the ugly, only the good. either way, both are good motors and both have many examples of over 250k miles on them.

the big concern with these trucks is frame rail wrought. check it out closely. then watch out for the body wrought. if you see it starting, catch it quick or it will get out of hand.

Clint
Old 06-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
body *rot*
Frame *rot*

I would recomend either a 22re or a 3vze
I personally love my 3.0, sure its not the most powerfull engine ( will seem like a snail compaired to a 5L mustang) but it gets the job done, and on ocasion she has enough power to shut some people up

If you have mechanical know how I would recomend you find a decent truck with little or no rust with a blown engine.
Find a wrecked 4th gen pickup or 3rd gen 4runner and take the 3.4 and swap it into your rig.

You can buy superchargers for the 3.4L and can have a pretty damn potent v6
Old 06-10-2007, 10:48 PM

thanks for your responses guys yea ive driven some 22re's and they just dont hardly have the power to get out of their own way. I guess ill test drive a 6 and see what i think. Im not looking for tons of power ive got that in my cars. I just want a decent amount of power for around town. Which im sure i will get used to it. But i jsut wanted some opinions on the 6 but more than likely i think ill just go w/the 22re and save myself some money on gas.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:58 PM

i have a 3.0 it does have good low end torque. you can bog the engine down crawling and it does fine. pulls a trailer w/o any problems. with over 274K mi it runs like love. i used to have a 85 22r and it ran great too. whatever engine u get it will be great. it i really had a choice i would do the 22re just for the aftermarket.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

3.0 and with a 5 speed won't be too bad, but an auto is out of the question.

Also, remember that the 3.0 had a headgasket recall, so you'll need to know if it's been replaced.

If you remember when Kenny had his 4runner back in highschool, it was a 3.0 with an auto, and I ran side by side with him in a race. And i had bigger tires.

There's also a lot less room in the engine bay and as mentioned earlier, less after market support.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:22 PM

Yup the engine is a B**** to work on because of how crammed it is, but oil changes are pretty easy...I have gotten 20mpg, mostly highway driven prolly 30-40%city. So far it has been a great truck with ample power. I have towed many jeeps and other bigger trucks out of being stuck. Also towed a grand cherekee across town, wasnt fun but she did it. No complaints about the truck yet, like the other yota 4x4s it does pretty good offroad for a stock truck. If You are a taller/bigger person or want the xtra room, then go for the xtra cab model, i have herd the regular cab models are a little crammed. Well good luck on gettin a truck, hope all goes well.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:06 PM

I've drove both, I like my good old 22r. Mine with a shaved head, cam, header and a k&n moves down the road just fine with stock gears and 32s. It has more then enough for me, But I feel your pain, My previous toy was a 12 sec. Camaro
Old 06-14-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ShortyzKustomz
I've drove both, I like my good old 22r. Mine with a shaved head, cam, header and a k&n moves down the road just fine with stock gears and 32s. It has more then enough for me, But I feel your pain, My previous toy was a 12 sec. Camaro
I've owned both also and won't buy another 3.0. They're difficult to work on, inefficient, and pretty expensive to buy parts for.
The 22RE isn't an improvement in terms of power, but it's simple, has a ton of aftermarket parts, and has a huge number of people supporting it.

Neither have what I'd call a "decent" amount of power. You just kinda get used to it, do an engine swap, or use a power adder...

Later motors - the 2.4, 2.7, and 3.4 are substantially better than both...
Old 06-14-2007, 06:44 PM

I have to agree. Get a 22RE! It wont win races and it won't smoke the hides off, but it is very reliable if propery maintained. I have had mine for over a year with 240 Km on it and it still doesn't smoke. To me the little bit of extra power you get with a 3.slow doesn't seem worth it with the drawbacks of bad gas milage and unreliablity. Just my worthless opnion!

Goodluck with what ever you choose
Old 06-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

3.0 isn't unreliable... you almost said so yourself! ...the hides off, but it is very reliable if properly maintained... many people have the 3.0 that does just fine. the fuel economy isn't good, you are right. but, the point is this: take care of it and it will take care of you. actually, of all my toyota owning buddies, most that have the 22re have already done rebuilds, but none of the V6 owners have. just watch the head gaskets and the timing belt. also, make sure what ever it is, that it is a manual, as toyota didn't make a mean automatic back in the day.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay351
body *rot*
Frame *rot*
yeah, i couldnt decide which spelling was the correct one for this case. thanks for the correction.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:13 PM

I love my 22re. Overall, other than minor repairs, she's never let me down. Ran it with a leak in the timing cover where I had to add a quart every day for about 6 months till it started leaking 6 quarts of oil every 20minutes, not a problem. Submerged the whole truck, started right back up after cleanin it out. Ran it w/o coolant, didn't get above 3/4 up the thermostat. Ran it with no o2 sensor for 2+ years, still tickin. Ran it with holes in my intake tube for 6+ months, it kinda liked the extra air. Slow leak in the hydralic system? Screw it, who needs brakes and a clutch, we got ebrakes and can float gears. Ask anyone, I abuse the hell outta it, but it just won't die.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:14 PM

i've owned both engines and i prefer the 3.0. many will disagree, but that's my opinion.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:18 PM

Don't even get me started on the rest of the truck either. Drivin it 60+ miles from downtown to my shop with blown bearings in the front, and no brakes. Blown inner and outta rear diff seals, and run it dry, but still no r&p failure. Runnin over deer, tree's, and not being kind to tail-gaters. Blown shifter seat and shifter socket, just jam er in gear. My poor Swampthing MUST be a masochist, puttin up with all the grief I put it through, and refusin to die...
Old 06-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
yeah, i couldnt decide which spelling was the correct one for this case. thanks for the correction.
No problemo

Quick Reply: Looking for pickup need advice on motor