Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Looking for 22re info for a build.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for 22re info for a build.

I know someone is going to say if im looking for power out of a 22re swap in a v8 blah blah blah already did one, love it but i want to see how far i can go with a 22re. I already have one .010 over, with a few odds and ends here and there with a turbo and really liked the power. So now i want to see how far i can go with a 22re for a reliable DD street mud truck.

So long story short whats the biggest bore you can do for good street use and anything else anyone may know to make power with a 22re. Im not looking for massive 1000hp numbers but just good numbers over stock. Hope to hear some good feed back. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Some do the 20R head mod. It gives more compression and with proper tuning can be made to give you a bit more pop.

I personally accepted it's not the racehorse, but wanted a lil more pop on the hills, top speed, etc.

I did;

Header, 261 CAM, New Valves(lil bit of porting of head and intake as well), Cold Air intake, MILDLY opened up exhaust, Gears, Locker in rear, .......and from just the first few I went from 45 in 3rd gear, max, on the Cahon Pass, CA, .... to 70 from 4th to 5th back and forth at spots up the same hill, no problem. Sometimes even with the air on.

Gears helped a LOT, but doing the others DID help me to get to 60-65 up the same hill in 4th, before I did the gears.

If you want DD longevity, ..... I wouldn't go over .50 over(20 over in Metric). I could be very wrong on that, but I also don't think increasing the bore will do much of anything to add 'literal power' as the compression you make through the type of HEAD you use means more in the picture.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM

Thanks for your input. Was hoping for a lil more input, but like i said i aint looking to make massive power just a lil bit more power and keep it in the DD longevity area.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There's not much more you can do with these engines like chef has said. I think he gave you a very solid foundation to begin with.

There is always a balance between power and reliabilty. Real powerful will usually not be very dependable. Very dependable usually goes hand in had with not much power. These engines were made bullet proof. You say you want a DD, so I think you may have to come to terms with...you will always get from point A to B, it just might take you a little longer.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm no Guru, but I have learned a lot since coming here a couple years ago, Never. It's a VERY COMMON question that gets asked on here.... and more than likely, those that are equally as knowledgeable with this as myself(at LEAST 'most', LOL) and some that are FAR MORE knowledgeable(PLENTY in that realm as well! haha).... well, they might read what I posted and say, "That sums it up, pretty much.... Unless you wanna go with a Supra AFM, Big Bore Throttle Body, Ported Polished intake, Stage 2 Build and 271 or up cam, specific pistons, Hypo Injectors, possibly even a supercharger.....and in doing so, spend around 2500-3000$ just on add on's, not including labor.... well then that pretty much sums it up".... And keep in mind, when you start heading down the Stage 3/Stroker motors path, ....you will have a HELL of a time passing smog, etc. You will also MOST DEFINITELY be rebuilding MUCH sooner. Stock, these have been known to go 300K+ Miles before even being rebuilt AT ALL! Never heard of a single one that's pushing 200-250HP lasting more than,....Well, Let's just say, ...don't hear about "I got 160K on my Stroker 22r Now, STOKED how it runs".... but I could be wrong, eh?? lol. I mean, they're not really build to 'LAST', they're built, like with any hypo engine, "TO RACE!" lol Ask any guy with a 600HP EVO Honda, ..."How long will that motor last you?", lol.

I know, you're looking for something 'IN-BETWEEN' with this...... I think a good example of that would be "22reperformance.com" or "lcengineering.com" and look into their Higher end motors....Not the racing ones,.... the Stage 2 I believe. They boast QUITE the increase in power, .... and "You will pass smog, no problem".... but it'll cost ya, which I'm sure might be fine... so you might wanna look into those for ideas, ya know? Far as the REALLY higher end motors/Stage 3(?).... Look at the disclaimers, even on engnbldr.com site, regarding his "271-284 CAM"(? Not sure on the numbers, but they're AGRRRRRESSIVE! LOL)... It says on his site, and he'll tell you on the phone, "You will most likely NOT pass smog with this CAM".

By the way, Bore, I'm pretty sure, with these is not going to give you as much as going with a set up for a longer stroke.

YOU said, "DD/Street/mud truck"... That leaves a LOT of variables out there. Please share with us what you decide to do, the progress, etc., k? Best wishes on the rig!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-18-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:59 PM

PS> It sounds like you've done plenty of wrenchin.... just looking into the 22reeek a lil more, lol. I don't mean to come off condescending, ...not my style, at all. Just trying to help, s'all.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:03 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
^^Chef you are not coming off as condescending at all. It is an extremely common question. There is a ton of informatiOn here to find with a little effort.

Spend on some on LC engineerings website.

And like he said, gears help a lot.

Last edited by dropzone; 07-19-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Anything over a cam and headers to gain anything is serious $$$.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-19-2011, 05:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the lcengineering web pages provide dyno readouts for their performance engines. if you want to see what you can get from a 22RE, check them out.

they list the torque and HP, and describe the performance parts required to get there.

you'll see that even LCE can only get so much HP out of it, but the powerband can be shifted around depending on how you plan to run it.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 AM

Sounds like a pretty good challenge but im up for it. I have built a few good high hp DD driven and beat on just as much motors. But this would be my first real build up of a 22re. Have done alot of work on these motors but mainly just repairs. But like i said not looking for massive power just maybe above average what everyone else gets. I have had this truck for a while and just wanna see what i can do. Just another project.

Im not worried about smog where im at. I dont know what cam i want to use, have looked at the 527 outlaw cam but just a thought. Am looking to do the 2.6 stroker with a turbo or maybe if i want to fork out the cash for a supercharger. But thats the most i got in mind right now, been too busy to think anymore through.

What all is involved in the 20r head swap? Is there a link for that swap i can see?

And what gears do most like to use? I prob will atleast have 33's. Was thinking about 4.88's.

I will when i figure out a plan and run with it, ill post the info and build.