Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Locking Hubs...manual or auto??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Locking Hubs...manual or auto??????

i wanna hear from people who have run each one of these. i want to know the advanctage and disadvantage to both. whats the benefit of going from auto to manual? why stick with auto? why got manual? and where can i get blue aisin manual locking hubs?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wab fab sells them, and id go manual...i love mine, saves the axles big time better mpg i think too
Old 11-02-2007, 09:40 AM

The advantage of manual hubs is that when locked, they stay locked. The disadvantage is that one needs to get out of the vehicle in order to lock/unlock them.

The advantage of auto hubs is that they engage automatically...no need to leave the vehicle. The disadvantage is that they momentarily unlock during times when one either backs up or goes forward.

IMHO, if the auto hubs work, there is little reason to switch to manual hubs.

Last edited by JackKnife; 11-02-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Covered many times but here are some high points.

Auto
The suck
Unlock in reverse
Costly to repair if you can find some that arent junk already

Manual
The bomb
Unlock manually when you want
Cheaper than repairing auto
Easy to convert from auto

We have Aisins and parts on the website.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Albert.G
wab fab sells them, and id go manual...i love mine, saves the axles big time better mpg i think too
There is no difference in MPG between auto and manual hubs. The axles do not move in 2WD with either hub option. You are confused with ADD.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 AM

One more thing to add Belize...If you are talking about your 91 Surf, then you shouldn't have auto hubs. You probably have ADD instead.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
wether or not he has auto or ADD I think we can all agree, manual hubs (aisins preferably) are the best option
Old 11-02-2007, 01:39 PM

auto hubs are a joke. Get stuck and need to back up on something slick like mud, snow or ice and you have a one wheen drive truck.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Manual hubs are very easy to take apart and repair, you know, when they need to be regreased every 10 years or so
Old 11-02-2007, 02:07 PM

http://4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

ADD is like having manual hubs always locked, hence your CV's will always be turning even if you are not in 4wd. Manual hubs just give you the option of unlocking them so your CV's don't spin under normal driving conditions. If you want blue ones, either paint them yourself or buy them from someone that has painted them already. Stock Aisins for Toyota IFS only come with a red dial.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo4Runner
auto hubs are a joke. Get stuck and need to back up on something slick like mud, snow or ice and you have a one wheen drive truck.
So, because the auto hub will unlock for maybe 1/4 turn of the axle when one backs up it is bad? I think not. If one in on a slick surface, the tires will probably slip more than that!!
Old 11-02-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't forget that with manual locking hubs, you can run in 2WD Low, if you want.

Not sure why you would, but you could...
Old 11-02-2007, 06:20 PM

BTW....I have a set of AISIN manual locking hubs for sale...JUST rebuilt. PM me for details ;-)
Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by JackKnife
So, because the auto hub will unlock for maybe 1/4 turn of the axle when one backs up it is bad? I think not. If one in on a slick surface, the tires will probably slip more than that!!
who said it will only unlock for 1/4 turn of the axle in reverse?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by typical8o8
x2, I'm not sure what he means be 1/4 turn,

I am fairly certain that they are "unlocked" all the time when you are backing up [ like when you disengage them, it's the moving foreward part with 4wd off that actually "disengages" them, because they are no longer receiving and foreward spin from the driveline, so they spin freely ]

I could be totally wrong, as I am not and expert by any means

He might have auto hubs? the previous owner could have installed a set? (god knows why) does anybody know for certain that toyota didn't import trucks/4runners to Belieze with auto hubs? not that I care it they did or didn't, but who knows?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by typical8o8
I said that. Auto hubs work in both forwards and reverse.

When the front axle rotates either forwards or backwards, the hub will lock. When the direction of travel is changed, the hub will momentarily unlock. If the transfercase is in 4WD, the axle will continue to rotate and cause the hub to re-engage in approximately a 1/4 turn. If the transfercase is in 2WD, the axle will stop rotating when the hub disengages and the hub will remain unlocked. This is how auto hubs work. If you don't believe me, find a truck with auto hubs and rotate the axle by hand.

So, to sum it up...if one is in 4WD and moves forwards then one needs to reverse in 2WD in order to disengage the hubs. If one is in 4WD in reverse, then one needs to move forwards in 2WD to disengage the hubs.

Last edited by JackKnife; 11-03-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:08 AM

i had auto hubs and changed to Aisin. even if they do re-engage in reverse, they are very unreliable. that's a given. if you could count on them re-engaging in a quarter turn in reverse, that's one thing. even if i could find a truck with auto hubs, chances are that they don't work. with manual hubs and ADD, you know that they are locked so there's no question if the wheels are turning with your front axles.

Last edited by typical8o8; 11-03-2007 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:03 AM

Typical8o8, I disagree with you on auto hubs being unreliable. My auto hubs have seen many miles and plenty of use. With proper maintenance, they should last a very long time. I also disagree with your opinion that ADD is reliable. The ADD system has quite a few items that can fail and have been known to. I do, however, agree with you that manual hubs are the most reliable. And if someone wants or needs the peace of mind of having this reliability, I won't begrudge anyone of this.

I keep seeing people claiming that auto hubs don't work in reverse. And, I have more or less made it one of my missions to dispel this myth.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
I keep seeing people claiming that auto hubs don't work in reverse. And, I have more or less made it one of my missions to dispel this myth.
They work fine in reverse unless you're rocking the truck back and forth trying to unstick yourself. I'd probably still be driving my auto's on my '86 if the drivers hub hadn't disengaged while removing myself from an obstical.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:39 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Typical8o8, I disagree with you on auto hubs being unreliable. My auto hubs have seen many miles and plenty of use. With proper maintenance, they should last a very long time. I also disagree with your opinion that ADD is reliable. The ADD system has quite a few items that can fail and have been known to. I do, however, agree with you that manual hubs are the most reliable. And if someone wants or needs the peace of mind of having this reliability, I won't begrudge anyone of this.

While I can respect your opinion and experience, I do believe your experience with auto hubs is an exception and not the rule. I have yet to have a pair of auto hubs that worked period.

If you are going to wheel (rock crawl) or drive anywhere with the possibility to get stuck and need to shift back and forth from forward to reverse in a short space (dont this tons of times), auto hubs are useless.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

"Toyota has always used Aisin manual hubs. They are the best available hub on the market for your Toyota. Their quality and strength surpasses all aftermarket hubs. Unfortunately, their price also surpasses all aftermarket brands. Buying a 'new' pair of Aisin is out of the question. If you need to replace a hub visit a wreck yard and buy a used Aisin, or get a pair of new aftermarket hubs with a lifetime warranty.

With manual hubs, IF you have both hubs LOCKED, you will be able to shift into 4WD at any safe speed.

ADD (automatic differential disconnect) equipped trucks have no locking hubs. Instead they have a plate bolted in place, locking the axle to the wheel. This has the same effect as having your hubs locked ALL the time. ADD was used in both trucks (1989-current) and 4Runners (1990-current). The ADD system is its stock form is capable of shift-on-the-fly.

Toyota AUTO Hub
Here is the AUTO hub. It can be found on trucks from 1984-1988, and on 4Runners from 1984-1989. Do not confuse this with ADD. AUTO hubs are NOT similar to ADD. The AUTO hub has a clutch inside that will lock the hub when it receives forward movement of the axle. Since the axles are not always spinning with this design, you must come to a COMPLETE stop before shifting into 4WD. Under no circumstances can you shift into 4WD while in motion with the AUTO hubs.

The AUTO hub will unlock after 1/4 turn of the axle in reverse. This is the major flaw to the design. Often on the trail we need to back up in 4WD. Especially if the vehicle is stuck, and we're trying to free it by backing out of the hole it is in. With the AUTO hubs, once you shift into reverse and begin to turn the driveline the hubs will unlock, and you'll be left with only 2WD in reverse. The will eventually lock into 4WD again, but having them unlock on you at all is very troublesome.

AUTO hubs are notoriously unreliable. The springs inside the hub often break, and the hub will no longer engage. Repairing these hubs is VERY expensive, and replacing them with new AUTO hubs is out of the question. New AUTO hubs are priced in the hundreds of dollars.

The best thing you can do is to replace your AUTO hubs with manual locking hubs. You will increase the reliability of your 4WD system many times over by getting rid of the AUTO hubs, and you will gain the ability to shift-on-the-fly, assuming you're driving with the manual hubs LOCKED."

Quick Reply: Locking Hubs...manual or auto??????