Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

locker question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
locker question

hey there i was wondering what rear auto locker u guys would recommend for my truck. i was thinking a detriot but my dad used to have one in his yota that he sold and it started to clunk and shake the whole truck like something broke after a year of use. u guys think that was a defect?

Last edited by gary96360; 02-18-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:58 PM

Detroit lockers are well made and I know many people that have been beating on them for years but sometimes there are lemons. Personally I run an aussie locker. I havn't been easy on it by any means. What kind of trails do you plan on running?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:05 PM

It must have been a defect.

I am running a lockright auto locker and like it.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 PM

yeah the locker was taken out and was kept in a box for a couple of years. i sold it for 450 2 weeks before i bought this yota. lockright look pretty cheap 250 on ebay but the bad news is that im in canada so its 80 bucks more. i just run on logging roads, and in some mud. i dont get stuck because i try to drive on trails that isnt hard to drive on. i want to start driving on more challenging trails.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 PM

Sounds like you arent going to be too rough on it yet. As I said before Detroits are well made but definitaly one of the more expensive options. I dont know what your budget is but remember to factor in the cost of setup. Improper setup can lead to isues like the one your father had so find someone that knows what they. (Not implying your father doesnt). Toyotas do very well on the trail with just a locked rear. good luck
Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a Aussie Locker review. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105...review-143163/

BUT, you're limited to a LR if you want to stay around $300, for the Aussie, you'd have to switch to a 4 cyl diff (add $200 - the amount you sell you V6 4.56 diff for).
Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 PM

lol but the installation on a v6 is so easy compared to the 4cyl
Old 02-19-2009, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by gary96360
lol but the installation on a v6 is so easy compared to the 4cyl
The 4 cyl isn't more difficult, it takes an extra 2 min because you have to take off the ring gear.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's no reason a Lockright wouldn't be perfectly fine. I have one and it works great.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:27 AM

Detroit lockers are tourque activited, basically its applyed tourque that engages them. I believe its the same basic idea for the poprights and aussies. On a rear wheel drive rig you have 100% of the vehicals tourque being applyed to the locker while you are on the road, it gets better offroad in 4wheel drive and you dont feel those same negative effects. The reason that this makes detroits a pita and sometimes dangerous on the free way is cause they love to pop and push you around often into the next lane. However on an allwheel drive truck like a land rover or an 80 series only 30% of the trucks tourque is applyed to the rear while in all wheel drive so the locker is never engaged. Of course when you lock the center diff that changes but like i said before you dont feel those negative effects offroad (unless its a broken popright, in that case it will pop and rachet like crazy throwing you and your samurai sideways in the middle of the launch pad). In an all wheel drive setup up, IF YOU PUT IT IN THE REAR, you barley feel it at all, cause its not activiated or locked, the most you might notice is a racheting sound when you are reversing with the wheels turned. I really dont like a detroit or popright or aussie in the rear. In the front would work better but not in the rear. I would much rather have a spool or an e-locker.
just my two cents

Last edited by son_of_a_lc; 02-19-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM

My Aussie has never caused me an unexpected lane change. I've found it to be quite civilized on the 4Runner and i'd let my 19yo younger brother drive the truck in the rain any day. Maybe Aussies are more civilized, or maybe the truck is just well suited to a locker.

Read my review as posted, it will give you an idea of what living with a locker is like.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My detroit nudges the steering a bit with sudden throttle changes (feels like getting hit with a gust of wind from the side). My biggest complaint is that it's noisy when coasting.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've also had my Lockright installed for 2 years now and not once have I had it cause me to swerve into the next lane. What a bunch of popycock...
Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM

not to jack the thread but what exactly makes a locker not lock the 2 rear wheels when turning and does it still lock on ice and snow? thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 01:50 PM

The locker allows a wheel to turn faster than the ring gear, but not slower. In a sense, the locker is engaged in a straight line, but when you turn, one wheel is allowed to go faster than the ring gear so that the tires are turning at different speeds.

The harder you are on the throttle, the more the locker wants to lock up.

On ice (depending on the amount of throttle you give it) it may not want to unlock. I seldom notice when it doesn't unlock. Yes it works in ice and snow, but some people complain about locked vehicles being difficult to drive under these conditions because if you do press the gas too hard, both back tires spin and you loose a lot of your lateral traction. This can cause the back end to come around on you. Sounds more dangerous than it is as long as you don't like a teenager on the way to prom, it isn't the least bit dangerous if that's what you were asking.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 PM

ya i no what it is like to drive a locked rear end on ice FUN! haha. but that answers my question anyway. Also, my truck now it hooks posi off an idle or near it anyways in any gear and seems to always on pavement, concrete, ect... I don't know if this is just a coincidence that both tires are getting equal traction or if it is a limited slip.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:50 PM

i stopped driving like a jackass when i got this yota. on other vehicles with more power i used to do burnouts, do drifting in a full size lol. but im usually careful in the snow but i have to be because it slides more easily than a full size.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:53 PM

locker

If this is your dd stay away from the detroit it will eat tires and cause odd driveing issues not to mention it sucks on ice. Haveing said that I run them f/r on mine but it doesnt see much pavment. It will be worth your money to get any one of the selectable lockers. ARB,OX,or electronic theres a reason rubicons come with selectable lockers and not fulltime lockers
Old 02-19-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run a welded rear and a lockright front I like the 100% lock up in my rear, yes it is a bit uncomfortable when in a parking lot, but on the the trail I can count on it and I am unstoppable in two wheel drive.
My lockright front holds up good even though its in a abusive relationship.
I DD my trail rig and I have had little problems driving in the ice and snow with a welded rear I never even had to lock it into 4 wheel drive, takes a bit getting used to, it did want to wander and spin out, but nothing a little steering corrections cant handle.
Dont like the idea of a locker turning on or off when I am on the highway.

I'd Weld it, spool it, e-lock it, or air lock the rear.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:55 PM

will v6 3rd members fit on a 4cyl?

Quick Reply: locker question