Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

the little yota that could...my new 92 2wd pickup

Old 06-15-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the little yota that could...my new 92 2wd pickup

hi, excited to find this forums and share a pic of my new little yota.

had it for a few weeks, filling the role i needed to quite well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

there are just a couple things i'd like to know more info about.

1) the previous owner but "ebay" headlights in it....they are the ones that are blue colored when looking straight on at the bulbs. they aren't very bright. i'm wondering if the stock lights would be better?

2) cold starts are tough sometimes. it's strange but I swear sometimes it won't start up unless I let the truck roll back a few feet. any clue what that means?

3) i'd like to know more about sound deadening/reduction that people have done. It's not a super loud vehicle but it seems like it is can like in that it traps sounds in the cab. anyone have success dampening sounds coming into cab?

thanks! i've spent a fair amount of time reading this forum before i joined and will continue searching on these topics....anyone's advice or knowledge is great appreciated.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:18 PM

A good sound deadening that a lot of people use (including me) is stuff called peel and seal. You can buy it at home depot or lowes. Also using bed liner helps a little not a lot (caned paint and roll on) Looks like a nice little truck you have there, I like it! And welcome to YT!
Old 06-16-2012, 04:43 PM

thanks for the nice welcome.

i like it alot, it's in good shape for the salty northern climate i'm in.

i'll do some more research on that product thanks.

i know it's hard to qualify something like how successful the stuff was for you but were you happy with the results? have any leaks from the product?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just sold my 2wd and miss it already. On my 88 build on the first page a have it listed to where to find the Peel and Seal. Like it alot. Quite a few things cross over from a 4 wheel to a 2 wheel. That generation of truck is a great little truck. You will like it the more yu drive it and get it up to par. Welcome to YT.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by little2wdYota
1) the previous owner but "ebay" headlights in it....they are the ones that are blue colored when looking straight on at the bulbs. they aren't very bright. i'm wondering if the stock lights would be better?

2) cold starts are tough sometimes. it's strange but I swear sometimes it won't start up unless I let the truck roll back a few feet. any clue what that means?

3) i'd like to know more about sound deadening/reduction that people have done. It's not a super loud vehicle but it seems like it is can like in that it traps sounds in the cab. anyone have success dampening sounds coming into cab?
1.) I don't think stock lights are particularly bright, but they're not bad. At least they would be DOT-approved unlike most crummy eBay parts.

2.) See if there are any trouble codes. It could be something related to the cold start injector circuit or idle valve.

3.) I haven't tried insulating anything. Behind the seat is the first place to come to mind. I find that my (carpet-lined) shell cuts wind noise around the cab.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can find rolls of butyl rubber, you can put that anywhere you have a flat surface; lay some of that down, then some aluminum foil on top will deaden a lot of noise- places sell that under the brand name "dynamat". I've got probably a full square yard or so of butyl rubber roll in my truck now so if you're around Salem / Eugene Oregon I'll give it to you.

As for the headlights, since the PO put aftermarket lights in, the lenses should be replaceable bulbs. So replace the bulbs with ones with a color temp you prefer, and make sure the lights get power through a relay instead of the stock light switches.

And the cold start issues... there are a fair number of discussions here on YT about that.
Issues can range from bad grounds to bad sensors to vacuum leaks, and it seams each vehcile is unique.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:13 AM

thank you everyone for the posts and the advice.

i'm going to do some searching on the things people suggested and will post back when i have more specifics

i did some more research on peal and seal and using a dampener vs using sound insulation. i know enough to know i don't know enough, yet. but it's fun learning about.

the butyl rubber is what i have seen people recommend over an asphalt based product.

thank you abecedarian for the offer, alias I am in Wisconsin.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:31 PM

ouch bad bad day. pretty sure I threw a rod today and now i have some extra holes in the engine block.

so bummed out.....
Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouch bad bad day. pretty sure I threw a rod today and now i have some extra holes in the engine block.

so bummed out.....
how..was it knocking before? Sorry to hear that.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:34 AM

thanks for the support. there was a knock that had started on the way to work. I checked oil and it was fine and on the way home there was a loss of power and a huge cloud of smoke and those new holes in the engine.

I was going to take it to the guy who works on it today but i'll prob call him and let him know what happened.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:45 PM

so if i threw a rod (causing two holes in engine block and other unseen damage)

can someone spell out my options?

there is a 22re out of a 1990 pickup on cl for $500.

there is a 22r out of an 88 pickup on cl for $250, with this person also having some 22r blocks.

so i could put the 22re right in there...

or I could take the 22r and use the lower end with the RE head intake EFI etc right?

----

also the engine was rebuilt by a person in town here before i bought it. is there an explanation for it throwing the rod based on some type of rebuild error?

should i be trying to go down that path?

sorry for all the questions, pretty confused on what to do.

one more question, if i decide it's not worth a new engine anyone can to field a guess how much she is worth with bad engine?

thank you
Old 06-23-2012, 02:33 PM

The 1990 longblock is a drop-in AFAIK. I want to say that the 1988 might be also, but I'm not 100% sure. There are a lot of engine transplant threads covering that kind of swap. The '88 is probably worth $250 as a core alone.

I would expect the engine rebuilder to deny liability for what happened. any warranty probably wasn't transferable. Why the rod failed depends on how it failed.

You truck is probably worth at least $1000 with the bum engine. It's very location-dependent, however, and I'm a long way from WI.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt Driver
The 1990 longblock is a drop-in AFAIK. I want to say that the 1988 might be also, but I'm not 100% sure. There are a lot of engine transplant threads covering that kind of swap. The '88 is probably worth $250 as a core alone.

I would expect the engine rebuilder to deny liability for what happened. any warranty probably wasn't transferable. Why the rod failed depends on how it failed.

You truck is probably worth at least $1000 with the bum engine. It's very location-dependent, however, and I'm a long way from WI.
hi a sincere thank you for your post and information. it provided me with a few rays of hope that i won't let this set back get the best of me. i was down in the mouth, I love that little yota.

i would also expect the rebuilder to deny liability, esp if i come at him with the attitude that he owes me something....that said, i spoke with him yesterday before this happened about looking at the knock and he was friendly and willing to look at it for free, so i think if i came with honey and asked him to help with the engine work he might feel bad for me and help with it.

thank you for offering your opinion on worth with bum engine. yeah it's pretty rust free and in good shape for it's year and has alot of new parts like radiator, exhaust, tires etc. and i just got a topper on it.

i'd hate to have the yota fade away to oblivion
Old 06-23-2012, 04:13 PM

engine would have to be torn down to find out what happened and why.
unless you buy/ piece together an engine cheap, you could find one from a salvage yard with known mileage and a warranty. or,
you could buy a rebuilt engine with warranty, most expensive...davez offroad.
i found a 3.4 from a salvage yard w 84k mi wth 6k mi warranty, expensive yes but low mi engine with warranty and i did the maintenance,timing belt etc, should last.
good luck hope things work out for you.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:30 PM

It might not be necessary to dismantle the blowup if you can see/reach inside through the holes...
Old 06-23-2012, 06:05 PM

sorry to hear about the blown engine but im heavy into car audio and second skin audio is a amazing product hands down i never used peel and seal from lowes/hardware stores but second skin audio is the leading competitor in the car audio world for sound deadner

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

i have a 91 yota 2wd 22re and i love it to death good luck man and welcome to YT (:
Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM

thanks for the support and kind words everyone.

i'm finding more info on the 22re on craigslist and will post when i get it.

my buddy thinks we should try to put it in ourselves.

how tough is it?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:54 PM

my buddy thinks we should try to put it in ourselves.

how tough is it?
"Tough" is relative to the time, tools, parts, space, experience, and help you have available. I don't think it's tough per se, but I've done several EFI/RWD engine/trans swaps like this by myself before.