Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a little advice

A piece of advice to everyone responding im not trying to be mean but stop giving unrequested "lessons" to people who ask what is this and how can i fix it. you dont even answer the question you are wasting your time and theirs most people just want to know how to fix the problem easily and quickly and dont need or want to know the ins and outs of all the plumbing and how it is routed through the whole vehicle. we appreciate the knowledge you posses but dont bellitle us by giving too much info and not even addressing the actual question. for example i have asked on here multiple times what kind of tool I need and which direction I turn to crank the torsion bars. I have started three threads and never got an actual answer all I get is theory on how the torsion bar acts as a type of shock absorber and blah blah blah. I dont care I want to crank them to lift the front end cause my wheels rub at full turn. I probably read the same book as you did to learn the theory I want practical advice I can use that is why i started coming here in the first place. It seems impossible to get a straight answer sometimes. I love this site but sometimes it seems people are not paying attention to what they are posting. sorry if i seem mad I am not it is just frustrating to have to sift through all the bull to get a good answer. I do enough of that at my day job and im sure you do too. sorry for the rant but I had to get that out.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so have you ever got the answer you need?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by js9924
A piece of advice to everyone responding im not trying to be mean but stop giving unrequested "lessons" to people who ask what is this and how can i fix it. you dont even answer the question you are wasting your time and theirs most people just want to know how to fix the problem easily and quickly and dont need or want to know the ins and outs of all the plumbing and how it is routed through the whole vehicle. we appreciate the knowledge you posses but dont bellitle us by giving too much info and not even addressing the actual question. for example i have asked on here multiple times what kind of tool I need and which direction I turn to crank the torsion bars. I have started three threads and never got an actual answer all I get is theory on how the torsion bar acts as a type of shock absorber and blah blah blah. I dont care I want to crank them to lift the front end cause my wheels rub at full turn. I probably read the same book as you did to learn the theory I want practical advice I can use that is why i started coming here in the first place. It seems impossible to get a straight answer sometimes. I love this site but sometimes it seems people are not paying attention to what they are posting. sorry if i seem mad I am not it is just frustrating to have to sift through all the bull to get a good answer. I do enough of that at my day job and im sure you do too. sorry for the rant but I had to get that out.
That's funny, i came to yotatech because i love that people know the theory behind what they do.

Before yotatech on all the other forums people would just say, "turn that screw and it will work"

I wanted to know how and why it would work,
what is that screw called?
what does it do?
How big is it?
where could i get a replacement?
What caused it to work?
what are the physics behind that?

Also i wanted to know what size tire i could fit with no lift

Last edited by linuxrunner; 02-07-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

partner, not to hurt your feelings, but i just did a search "torsion bar adjustment' and there was plenty of articles explaining the concept of how they work and how to adjust them.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ever try doing a search? there are a ton of threads on how to do it. Also its the same as pretty much every other vehicle that has torsion bars (tighter adjuster nut = more spring tension = higher ride)

If you dont like the forum go find another one. Or better yet go post a question about how to crank the t-bars over on pirate...
Old 02-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
Ever try doing a search? there are a ton of threads on how to do it. Also its the same as pretty much every other vehicle that has torsion bars (tighter adjuster nut = more spring tension = higher ride)

If you dont like the forum go find another one. Or better yet go post a question about how to crank the t-bars over on pirate...
there you go, throwing the "P" word out there...
Old 02-07-2008, 04:34 PM

thats kind of my point to quote you there are "tons of threads" and the search features methods evade me apparently because I type torsion bar adjustment and i have to search forever through lots of garbage to find what I need. Please dont think I dont like the forum and dont misunderstand. What I am saying is I understand the theory already I dont need someone to repeat to me what I already know theory is easy thats why people can be aces in college and get in the real world and end up flipping burgers its being able to apply that knowlege in a practical real way that matters. For example I am an electrical engineering student I know plenty of people in the program who couldnt crank a bolt or solder a new resistor in if their life depended on it. this is the kind of thing im talking about. most of the time some one spends all this time typing out whatever and they dont ever actually answer the original question, like with my torsion bar question. My haynes manual says basically nothing about them. I understand the theory so I figure ask the experts an easy question and itll be done but instead of a simple answer like its a 15mm and turn clockwise to tighten I get a lesson in mechanical forces and geometry. I am just trying to be careful because I bought a used truck and want to keep from breaking something. Linuxrunner you said you like to hear the theory and thats why you came here and thats fine I agree even. You are not getting what im trying to say, which is if I ask "how do I...?" tell me how if you want theory generally a person would say "How does this work?" or "what is the principle behind...?". Again I appreciate tremendously all the advice and help I have received from this site all im askng is for people to just answer the question. I cant tell you how many times a day I see replys to posts where the person clearly didnt even take the time to read the whole post before they reply. If you want to teach a class go to your local tech school or something. I just knew this would get twisted its like im talking to my girlfriend, she only hears what she wants.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

that is it, you gotta go. nobody compares me to their girlfriend. that is like calling me a girl, and trust me i haven't worn a dress in sometime, and that silky underwear fetish, well suffice it to say, i prefer cotton.

Last edited by TORTIS; 02-07-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by tortis
that is it, you gotta go. nobody compares me to their girlfriend. that is like calling me a girl, and trust me i haven't worn a dress in sometime, and that silky underwear fetish, well suffice it to say, i prefer cotton.
Im assuming you are joking because that was not directed at you and it was meant to be a joke(the girlfriend comment not the rest). Everyone is taking this so seriously all im saying is read and answer accordingly. Also I ve been searching for about 40 minutes now on "torsion bar adjustment" and havent seen one post where someone says tighten = stiffer or something to that effect its all "you should do BJ spacers and make sure you get it re-aligned" and other such bull. all of which just backs up my argument but again its just an observation.

Last edited by js9924; 02-07-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Im assuming you are joking because that was not directed at you and it was meant to be a joke(the girlfriend comment not the rest). Everyone is taking this so seriously all im saying is read and answer accordingly.
that is all i do is joke around. no offense taken..
Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

ok, i think this should tell you how to adjust your torsion bars.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/torsion/
Old 02-07-2008, 05:06 PM

Well personally I think you should pay a little more attention. If you'd listen to the theory about how the torsion bars work you could lay under your truck and say "hmm I should tighten the bars to get more height". I think that’s the real problem with a lot of techs these days and even the everyday consumer that wants to wrench on their own ride. People just want someone to tell them how to fix it. Like I said, if you take a little more time and understand the theory/system you can fix just about any problem you may encounter. In my opinion if you don't know how it works then you don't need to be working on it. I mean how do you even know you fixed the problem or even reassembled what ever you took apart correctly.
Just my 2 cents but I think everyone should spend more time listening and less time flappin their gums. There's a lot of valuable info on this site and people should take more advantage.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 PM

there is a bolt under your frame or on the inside of the frame that adjusts your torsion tension. The blot is located behind the rear mount of the torsion bar under the door. one way makes it tighter and the other loosens it.
just spin it with an impact and you can literally watch your front end go up and down!!!!!!!!

simple as that
Old 02-07-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
alright look its real simple:

Get under your truck, just behind the wheels. you'll see where the torsion bar comes back out of the upper control arm. Ther'll be a bolt into a spot just inside the frame (flush with the bottom of the frame)

With the truck jacked up you crank that bolt, on each side. Tighten it, and it'll ride stiffer & higher, loosen does the opposite

oh, and 2 minutes of searching netted a couple threads with the same link tortis posted above. pictures and everything!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:15 PM

is it the same on a 2x4?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 PM

what a joke why even help someone if there going to wine about it.if u dont like what u read go to a shop and pay them to do it.everyone is just trying to help.its better to have to much knowledge then not enough.this will make it nice and easy for u.theres a big bar under ur truck with a bolt in it tighten it and ur truck will rise.there u go....
Old 02-07-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What three threads did you start? Were they on the other sections of this forum? I searched on your screen name and only found two threads, this one and another to which you responded.

Anyway, bear in mind if you don't want to know how things work you are likely in the minority. These responses are not just for your benefit but for the rest of us who often want to understand and even find it insulting to simply be told what to do and not why.

My advice to you is to try to understand the theory. I cannot hurt, only help. Be thankful there are others who give a crap enough to even take the time to explain the underlying causes, etc... of issues.

Frank
Old 02-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay.

No theory

Remove weight from the front of the vehicle with a jack.

You asked about a tool. Its called a wrench. You put it on the bolt. You put another wrench on the nut. You turn the bolt clockwise to raise the truck, or "crank" the tbar, counter clockwise to lower the truck or "uncrank" the tbar.

Since you are so bothered by the advice on this site, I would advise you that your questions could have been very simply answered by crawling under your truck, and looking at it.

Now, if you'd payed attention to the theory, you'd know that adjusting your torsion bars will ONLY correct the rubbing at ride height. As soon as you flex the suspension, you will rub again.

If you wish to get rid of rubbing for good, you can increase your lower bumpstops with washers to prevent the tire from traveling up as far, or you can clearance your fender. In all likelyhood, you can fix your problems by simply pounding the pinchweld flat. It takes all of 5 minutes, and is completely hidden by the plastic inner fender insert.

For your future posts, you might try a little more punctuation.

Last edited by AxleIke; 02-07-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I completely understand what you are saying because I've been there myself. But, maybe you are also taking things a bit too seriously and should kindly accept that's just the way people can be. Probably you, too. Maybe?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry you feel this way. But if it makes you feel better, based on the way these types of threads seem to have gone in the past, the worst is yet to come. There will likely be people banned because of this thread.

Quick Reply: a little advice