Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Liscense plate relocation for MC bumper

Old 08-27-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liscense plate relocation for MC bumper

Searched, didn't find anything. I wanted to see what people were doing with their liscense plate once they put on a marlin crawler rear bumper. I put one on my 89' pickup and have just been driving around, tempting fate. I know what I would like to do, but it would involve a welder, grinder, bondo, filler plates and a liscense plate box, ie a lot of work! Lets see what ya got!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I just moved mine over, put in two threaded inserts to hold a lighted frame:
-
Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 PM

A friend of mine put an MC rear bumper on his 95 tacoma and ran into the same issue. His remedy was two small hinges he put on just to the side of the receiver. Drilled and tapped some small holes and put bolts into it. That way if he was on the trail and hit something with the plate, it would just swing back and forth to avoid major damage.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The issue with the MC bumper on the trucks is that it blocks the license plate from being viewed without obstruction. This makes it illegal in many states to install the bumper on any vehicle operated on-road. Even the stock bumper is illegal if a hitch / ball is installed on it according to the laws of many states (California included).

There are two, maybe three options (if your state allows it) to solve the problem.
Obviously, the first is to not use the MC bumper.
The second is to relocate the license plate elsewhere and provide adaquate illumination per local and D.O.T. requirements.
The third is to move the plate with stickers to the front bumper. However this may not be an option due to local regulations, but should be acceptable if the vehicle is registered as a commercial vehicle, though a little intelligent and respectful discussion with the authorities describing the situation and your remedy may get you a bye should it be an issue. After all, you would be clearly displaying your license plate and stickers, and it is acceptable for over-the-road semi-tractor and related vehicles to do so. I'd recommend contacting your local motor vehicle department or Bureau of Interstate Transportation inspectors before trying this though.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-27-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I drilled two holes farther up and ran it.

86 pickup

It's still covered a little but I never had any issues...... hope that helps a little.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Zip ties? they keep my front on. Will be holding on my rear to when the one plastic screw breaks.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:12 PM

@Junkers88:
Most cops would probably let that go but if the cop has a 'tude or is otherwise out to get someone, that is illegal.
Sin91 has been pulled over twice because the 2" ball on her factory Toyota bumper blocks the center of the plate. Both times she's been let go with a warning though. We even had a conversation with an officer in a parking lot about it and his words were basically that although he wouldn't choose that as a reason to pull a vehicle over, it is illegal (in California and most everywhere) since the plate is obstructed from clear view and we would be at the whim of the officer should we be pulled over for any reason and would have no grounds to fight that on a ticket because the laws are clear about obstructing the plate. He was also the one that suggested looking in to moving the plate to the front of the vehicle if it's registered as commercial.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:21 PM

to my knowledge the LP needs to be illuminated at night. this wasn't realy touched. cheap route they sell a simple little light at schucks/napa/the zone that will do the trick. just toss a hot wire up from the running lights in the rear cluster.

4runner rear tail gate mod?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by JeEVeS
to my knowledge the LP needs to be illuminated at night. this wasn't realy touched. cheap route they sell a simple little light at schucks/napa/the zone that will do the trick. just toss a hot wire up from the running lights in the rear cluster.

4runner rear tail gate mod?
Actually, I did 'touch' on it (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51215367):
The second is to relocate the license plate elsewhere and provide adaquate illumination per local and D.O.T. requirements.
And we are talking about a truck, not a 4Runner.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
did you really just link to a post that's just a middle-mouse-wheel-spin away?

lol
Old 08-27-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
did you really just link to a post that's just a middle-mouse-wheel-spin away?

lol
yup.
Considering a lot of people just read the OP and skim over the middle replies, I though it would be prudent.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
@Junkers88:
Most cops would probably let that go but if the cop has a 'tude or is otherwise out to get someone, that is illegal.

Oh I know it but that was the best option I had at the time.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I simply drilled new holes in my licence plate and moved it up about 2". The numbers are clearly visable.

Been pulled over a few times and they didn't hassle me. I hated the idea of putting it on my tailgate...
Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 PM

haha Jay thats what i was thinking about doing. remove the letters and bolt it to the tailgate. i dont think it would look bad at all, it would like more like a 4runner. however, it might look stupid if i actually do it lol
heres a pic i edited, what do you all think??
Old 10-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

I was surprised to find the bumper interfered with the plate. I moved it up as far as it would go. It is mostly in view with little obstruction. The MC bumper has somewhat to be desired, it is not built as ruggedly as I would have liked. I jacked the back of the truck up with the receiver hitch thing and it bent my bumper. Doesn't give me the best feeling for towing anything heavy.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!?!?!?!?!?!??...

if your being serious..you might have just talked me out of the MC bumper..even though i have ALWAYS heard NOTHING but good things from everybody
Old 10-13-2009, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MC bumper looks ridiculous anyway,but thats just my opinion.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All of my friends have relocated their plates to the tailgate. IMO it looks fine.

heres mine,

I am going to order LED bolt lights here soon for it.

and the MC bumper definetly isn't my thang. =)

Last edited by drew303; 10-13-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by khoopes
I was surprised to find the bumper interfered with the plate. I moved it up as far as it would go. It is mostly in view with little obstruction. The MC bumper has somewhat to be desired, it is not built as ruggedly as I would have liked. I jacked the back of the truck up with the receiver hitch thing and it bent my bumper. Doesn't give me the best feeling for towing anything heavy.
Yup. I bent the crap out of mine the same way and wouldn't dare tow anything with it. I'll be cutting that POS of as soon as I can afford a bumper from AOR.

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!?!?!?!?!?!??...

if your being serious..you might have just talked me out of the MC bumper..even though i have ALWAYS heard NOTHING but good things from everybody
If you plan on mall wheeling then that bumper is fine. If you plan to tow or beat the crap out of it then get one from Addicted Off Road. I know some folks swear by MC but they are a pain to mount and are not as durable as I thought they'd be.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow..i always heard the MC bumpers were pretty tough...dang it that sucks..lol..

i know Scotty's bumpers are strong so looks like i'll be goin to him lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Liscense plate relocation for MC bumper