Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

light bulbs/ LEDs

Old 08-08-2013, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
light bulbs/ LEDs

What are you guys using to light up your license plates? I need to replace my bulbs, and would like to upgrade to a bright LED. Any recommendations?

Maybe we could start a bulb/LED thread to list what everybody is using to light up various parts of their rigs.

I'm using Sylvania SilverStars for my headlights (a big improvement over regular yellow halogens).

My interior dash, glove box and shifter have single-bulb blue LEDS from superbrightleds.com, with the wide angle light dispersion in 2 different sizes. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51046594 I'd recommend the multibulbs LEDs instead, to offer uniform light coverage.

I DO NOT recommend changing your turn signals to LED (mine only work sometimes) or your cruise light to a blue LED (the cruise panel is blue, which blinds me at night with blue on blue coming through too brightly).

My overhead light in the cab is a really bright 25 LED light (cool white, superflux variety) from oznium.com
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f5/w...l#post51974704

Last edited by wiseguymmiv; 08-08-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got a pair from ijdmtoy.com i forgot what kind they are but they are the most powerful replacement lic plate led bulb they make for my 1st gen 89 runner , and its super clear and bright now!
Attached Thumbnails light bulbs/ LEDs-led-lic-plate.jpg  
Old 08-08-2013, 04:43 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
If your turn signals work only sometimes then something is wrong, as far as your license lights any good 194 will work as long as its not too long for the housing. I have a set from superbright that are really bright I will post up the part when I get home.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 AM

Clok, wow, that is bright!

Disco, to clarify, my turn signals work (other drivers can see them) but the dash turn indicators only work 20% of the time. I don't know if its an impedance issue or what, as the LED bulbs I installed in the dash are good. I'll be interested in the part number for your license plate lights. Do you have a pic of them showing their brightness?

Thanks,

Wiseguy
Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 AM

Yea, I will take some pics later tonight and post them up so you can see them in the dark, they are pretty intense, not sure on your signals though, I have had my instrument panel done for a while and never had issues and just did a full running, brake, signal conversion with a new european flasher and still no issues?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:06 PM

Here is a link to the bulbs I currently have,

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/199/

Here is a couple pics, hard to really tell from a pic but they are overly bright compared to stock in person

And a pic of the light and my housing which not sure how different they are from a runner, this is on my 91 PU. I tried the taller lights that I ended up putting in the front for the running lights and they were way to big so make sure you measure your housings for depth and all the dimensions are on superbrights website

They are plenty bright for any license plate application I wanted to do these,

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/206/

But they only offered them in the cool white which is almost a hint of blue, the ones pictured above had cool white natural white and warm white, I went with the natural white

Anyway there ya go, hope that helps
Old 08-14-2013, 12:07 AM

Thanks, Disco!

I'll be sure measure my housing before ordering replacements.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:45 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Check the bulb holders for your dash t/s lights. I have converted everything on my truck to LED's.(including headlights) Any problems I had were related to poor/loose connections.

Believe it or not a pencil eraser works pretty good for cleaning old connections or a very fine Emory board (nail file)
Old 08-15-2013, 12:08 AM

i tried pulse leds from carid.com... i must say the reverse pulse led the brightest one they have i put in my reverse bracket and omg such a better improvement over past led bulbs i had... it projected out even.. i would put pulse led bulbs in anything I have and I did and must say better then any led bulb ive seen
Old 09-07-2013, 08:09 PM

Scrussanation, which model of bulbs did you buy from carid.com? This 400 lumen 27 LED model for $21.95 each?

http://www.carid.com/1995-toyota-4ru...-10266828.html

Dropzone, I'll tinker with it a bit more. I put in some traditional bulbs (with a blue glass tint) into my dash cluster turn indicators tonight, and they light up fine with the hazards. I must have messed something up when reassembling the dash, however, as now my turn signals do not work at all, inside or out. The hazard button does still activate the turn signals, inside and out...weird. Solve one problem, create another, more serious problem...

On the plus side, I managed to replace my missing translucent plastic turn signal cluster covers (normally green) with translucent white parchment paper (for baking) and a bit of stick glue. Once everything is reassembled, you can't tell what I used. And, the white covers help the blue tint of the bulbs show up better than then the OEM green covers. I haven't had any covers over the blue LEDs in the dash turn signals for a while, so when they did infrequently work, I got an eye-full of light.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by wiseguymmiv
Scrussanation, which model of bulbs did you buy from carid.com? This 400 lumen 27 LED model for $21.95 each?

http://www.carid.com/1995-toyota-4ru...-10266828.html

Dropzone, I'll tinker with it a bit more. I put in some traditional bulbs (with a blue glass tint) into my dash cluster turn indicators tonight, and they light up fine with the hazards. I must have messed something up when reassembling the dash, however, as now my turn signals do not work at all, inside or out. The hazard button does still activate the turn signals, inside and out...weird. Solve one problem, create another, more serious problem...

On the plus side, I managed to replace my missing translucent plastic turn signal cluster covers (normally green) with translucent white parchment paper (for baking) and a bit of stick glue. Once everything is reassembled, you can't tell what I used. And, the white covers help the blue tint of the bulbs show up better than then the OEM green covers. I haven't had any covers over the blue LEDs in the dash turn signals for a while, so when they did infrequently work, I got an eye-full of light.
Yea I got the big ones. The pulse led brightest lumen. Remember they won't fit on cluster for sr5 if you swapped from pain Jane cluster over to sr5. They are a wee bit too long. I have some 906 ones and some other ones that are bigger like 1076 our 1156 inner of the two. Selling fort half price cuz I ordered like 8 too many