Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lets see your 1st gen 4runner Cargo Storage/Sleeping builds..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets see your 1st gen 4runner Cargo Storage/Sleeping builds..

After poking around in the camping section and seeing some of the really nice cargo storage/sleeping platforms people have built, I have started thinking about building one for my for 4 Runner as I love to go camping and would rather use the tent to throw gear in instead of sleeping in it.

I believe all the setups I saw were all newer 4 Runners/Trucks.

Obviously in theory, this is a pretty simple build, but I'd like to see if anyone has done anything similar and what kind of ideas you guys came up with.

The 1st gens are also a little bit different due to having the roll bar in the back, I would like to leave it in if possible, but might take it out if nessecary because I would like there to be ample room for both my gf and I to sleep in the back.

Just for reference in case you're not sure what I'm talking about, here's a picture I "Borrowed" for example.

Last edited by chrisbnaz; 10-22-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Ah, if i had a runner i would do this, thus being why i am looking for a camper shell.

hmm, anyway, just my observation.
It looks to me like that person made the forward most part of the "shelf" able to fold back so they can still use the back seats.
Good design plan IMO
Old 10-22-2008, 11:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can do 2nd gen:
P5050039-1.jpg?t=1224745469

P5050040.jpg?t=1224745506

Here's a good thread on Camping mods

Old 10-22-2008, 11:19 PM

I planned on making one, but over time decided against it.

Pros
-more cargo space

Cons
-weight
-awkward to work around the 1rst gen rollbar
-really cuts down your headroom

I just bought a roof rack and use that to hold all my gear.

I'm 6'2" so if I'm sleeping alone I just lay diagonally and it's not a problem. My girlfriend, her golden retriever and I have all slept in my back of my 4runner before. A little cramped, and I couldn't straighten my legs out, but not horrible.

But I'd be interested to see if anyone with a 1st gen 4runner was able to get one to fit with the roll bar.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the big deal with just putting your sleeping pad on the floor? What do you need the platform and long drawers for? (Unless you're an undertaker...)

imho, the major shortcoming re. car camping in a Gen 1/2 4Rnr is lay down length! By removing the cushions from the driverside rear seat you can gain about 6" in length in which to lay down (just enough!), and, you gain additional storage. (Just devise a support for the platform.)
Old 10-24-2008, 01:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by anotherjeff
What's the big deal with just putting your sleeping pad on the floor? What do you need the platform and long drawers for? (Unless you're an undertaker...)

imho, the major shortcoming re. car camping in a Gen 1/2 4Rnr is lay down length! By removing the cushions from the driverside rear seat you can gain about 6" in length in which to lay down (just enough!), and, you gain additional storage. (Just devise a support for the platform.)
Pros of a box to sleep on:
  • you don't have to sleep about a 1/4" away from cold air under the truck. I often camp in below freezing temperatures, this matters. The box makes a big difference.
  • When you're driving down a backroad, your camping stuff isn't doing its best to join you in the drivers seat if you stop quickly
  • its quieter and more contained while driver
  • more organized.

Cons:
  • extra weight
  • limited head room
  • a little cramped for some activities
Old 07-08-2009, 07:29 PM

I am going to bulid one with the roll bar and i will post pics as soon as its done.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:47 PM

Couldnt you just remove the rollbar? for when the box is in.. then if you really want it in there install it again when the box is out?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by StangBanger
Couldnt you just remove the rollbar? for when the box is in.. then if you really want it in there install it again when the box is out?
Originally Posted by Dave the welder
I am going to bulid one with the roll bar and i will post pics as soon as its done.
If ya'll will look at the Camping Mods link that Matt16 posted below and look on one of the later pages you'll see where I posted up about a camping box that I built for my pickup. That same camping box fits in my 1st gen runner like a glove. Also of note is that the sleeping pad that was made for the truck fits the 4runner exactly all I had to do was spin it around.

Originally Posted by Matt16

Here's a good thread on Camping mods

Old 07-09-2009, 06:02 AM

I started mine a while ago, but got more into building my other truck and put the project on hold. Here's the start...

Insulated the entire rear cargo area with this aluminum bubble wrap. Nice stuff, and cheap, like $25 to do the entire cargo area. I form fit it, and then glued it with spray adhesive.

Name:  DSC00971.jpg
Views: 4651
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  DSC00973.jpg
Views: 4197
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  DSC00975.jpg
Views: 3987
Size:  57.7 KB

Then I build my side walls. I will be able to screw right into these, so my mounting points are almost endless.

Name:  DSC00976.jpg
Views: 3913
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  DSC00977.jpg
Views: 4014
Size:  49.1 KB

I suddenly want to finish this project.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:05 AM

Me too. I want to see the finished product.
I never finished mine either.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by desertcamper67
Me too. I want to see the finished product.
Me too!

Here is mine.

Box opened up to show the goodies. (I don't own that truck anymore but that's what the box was built for)
Name:  truckmods008.jpg
Views: 4383
Size:  154.3 KB

Box inside the 1st gen runner.
Name:  truckmods080.jpg
Views: 11306
Size:  135.8 KB

Sleeping pad after the box is pulled out and set aside. No that isn't my kid.
Name:  truckmods079.jpg
Views: 21396
Size:  129.1 KB

I can put the camping box in there in about 2 minutes and have it tied down. It works great for a last minute camping decision.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Hey Ricky, any issues with laying on the rear seats? As I was thinking about the whole build a platform thing, the problem I kept thinking about was building it so the front supports could go between the front and rear seats.

Now that I think about it, the truck bedz mattress with no platform might elevate your head nicely in a sort of old fogey craftmatic bed style!

I saw someone that built their platform so their surfboards could fit underneath. Yours is a good solution, but I would have to go pick up a Yakima/Thule rack to hold my board. I could pick up a set of headers for the price of one of those racks!!
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Me too!

Here is mine.

Sleeping pad after the box is pulled out and set aside. No that isn't my kid.

I can put the camping box in there in about 2 minutes and have it tied down. It works great for a last minute camping decision.

Where did you find those sweet air mattresses? The 2 pictured look different. Do they sell different ones for different length beds? I've never seen any that fit so perfectly.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:45 PM

Its the same mattress just flipped around to fit the wheel wells of either truck. Its made by Truck-Bedz.
http://www.truck-bedz.com/default.tp...ECTIONSword=ww
Old 07-12-2009, 05:48 PM

Where did you find those sweet air mattresses? The 2 pictured look different. Do they sell different ones for different length beds? I've never seen any that fit so perfectly.
Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
Its the same mattress just flipped around to fit the wheel wells of either truck. Its made by Truck-Bedz.
http://www.truck-bedz.com/default.tp...ECTIONSword=ww
That's it! I actualy used that one this weekend for a camping trip to the Jemez for two days of trout fishing. I slept myself, my wife and a 90 pound puppy in there for both nights, very nice.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:27 PM

That seems great until it goes flat..gotta check the site for a price..nice find either way...
Old 07-13-2009, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the info. Would you say that the quality is the same of better than the coleman regular air mattresses? I have about 4 slow leaking air mattresses. I keep a cordless air pump in my tent in case a midnight refill is needed.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:51 AM

dam i never knew they made beds specific to truck beds
Old 04-01-2011, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the info. Would you say that the quality is the same of better than the coleman regular air mattresses? I have about 4 slow leaking air mattresses. I keep a cordless air pump in my tent in case a midnight refill is needed.
Originally Posted by bm87runner
dam i never knew they made beds specific to truck beds
Old thread, sorry for the late responses.

desertcamper~ The quality is better than the Coleman mattresses. I still have it and it has never leaked. Even comes with a half dozen patches just in case. I also like to put a blanket down underneath it so that it doesn't rest directly on the metal of the cargo area.

bm87~ They make them for just about every popular rig out there, even full sizes.

Quick Reply: Lets see your 1st gen 4runner Cargo Storage/Sleeping builds..