Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Let me see your black paint job.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me see your black paint job.

Hey folks, I just bought a used 1994 Toyota 4X4 Pickup and it is in bad need of a paint job. The truck is currently painted black and the clear coat is peeling. I'm wanting to repaint the truck black, but I also want to add a little something to it to make the black paint snap (stripes, graphics, etc.). I would appreciate it very much if some of you guys/gals could post up some photos of your black trucks. I need some ideas bad.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to yota tech...

There are multiple threads and ideas on how to paint a truck...It all depends on what your looking for quality/looks wise. Do a little searching and look through the "Post your Pics" at the top of the thread page.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Factory SR5 stripes, mostly original paint (no clear coat on factory black)

Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Knock the clear off it and put a black base on it then add some BRANDYWINE CANDY(House Of Kolors) to the next coat then clear it with a few coats and you will have a very nice original BLACK CHERRY paint and be different then everybody else and in the sun it will really POP and stand out.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 AM

I was just talking to my neighbor who does insurance adjusting, etc, and he used to own an auto body shop. He said for the cheapest way to paint a truck (I desperately need a paint job also,) buy a gallon of black rustoleum, and some kerosene. Yes, kerosene. Cut the paint like a 10 to 1 mixture, and it will dry hard, with a pretty decent shine. He said he painted trucks for the Army years ago, and thats how they would do theirs. So with a gloss black rustoleum, and some kerosene, I think it would look pretty good!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM

I sprayed mine 2 years ago with some left over dupont bc/cc and a HVLP gun. Then about a week later i decided to add a stripe, i hadn't layed out a stripe before so this was a learning experience for me. All in all i had around 60-75$ in the clearcoat and materials.

Last edited by highway; 04-02-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 AM

^^ Nice job highway!! ^^
Old 04-02-2009, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did check out the picture section, but there was nothing there that interested me. I'm not planning on doing this myself. I'll be taking it to a body shop. I wish I had the talent (and a place) to paint one. I like olharleyman's suggestion with the brandywine, wish I could find one to look at. Highway that looks really good. Want to come south for a "working" vacation? Anyway, thanks for your comments and suggestions fellas. Any other ideas are welcomed and appreciated.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok..im also wanting to paint my truck black...or like a dark mineral gray or something.

im wondering...would paint like Duple-Color's Paint Shop be ok???
supposedly you just dump it in your gun and go at it...which would be GREAT

if so..would i be able to get away with painting it outside???..like...just in the weather??..as long as its within temp/humidity specs for the paint...and there isn't much wind..i think i would be ok..

i have a gun..it used to be used to paint fishing lures for a BIG business we used to be in..and its not my first time painting..and i know how to actually paint..lol

the gun i have is the same gun we use at my school in the woodshop to put high solids gloss laquer on the wood to give it the brilliant shine..would it be ok to use to paint my '86??

thanks guys!..and sorry for the thread jack Doodlebug
Old 04-02-2009, 05:21 PM

Tremclad Flat Black (1 gal 35 bucks CAN). Thinned with mineral spirits and voila!

Last edited by Flash319; 04-02-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 PM

I have sprayed a couple outdoors.... expect to have problems with dust, bugs and anything that flies around in the air, you could throw up a makeshift spray booth with a few 2x4's and plastic/tarps.

Its alot easier to use a basecoat-clearcoat paint, that way you can take a tack rag and wife off the basecoat before clearing to remove dust etc... also if ya jerk a run you can sand it out and touch up before clearing.

I have never used Duple-Color's Paint Shop but if it is premixed i would say it has alot more thinner than paint. aslo make sure your compressor is big enough to keep up with the paint gun.

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
ok..im also wanting to paint my truck black...or like a dark mineral gray or something.

im wondering...would paint like Duple-Color's Paint Shop be ok???
supposedly you just dump it in your gun and go at it...which would be GREAT

if so..would i be able to get away with painting it outside???..like...just in the weather??..as long as its within temp/humidity specs for the paint...and there isn't much wind..i think i would be ok..

i have a gun..it used to be used to paint fishing lures for a BIG business we used to be in..and its not my first time painting..and i know how to actually paint..lol

the gun i have is the same gun we use at my school in the woodshop to put high solids gloss laquer on the wood to give it the brilliant shine..would it be ok to use to paint my '86??

thanks guys!..and sorry for the thread jack Doodlebug
Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 PM

im in the process of painting mine black im going with the 50 dollar paint job and am on my third coat its a great way to save money and from the looks worth every penny i will post pictures when i get home from college this weekend
Old 04-02-2009, 06:26 PM

I'm planning on doing mine this summer. It's black and I'm painting it black. What i want to do is in a different shade of black put the toyota symbol off the side of the hood and front fender.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

Ten Cans of Krylon Ultra Flat Black (Camo Series), a couple of hours, two buddies, and a bottle of whiskey gets you this.. Its a little dirty right now though..

Good enough for me..
Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

guys, all paint store sell a cheaper version of single stage, down here you can get a kit with all the fixins for about 150-175. I would stick with solid colors to avoid tiger striping your metalics. use a faster reducer to get it to tack (dry) up quick and maybe not run. You may could slow it down on the last coat to get that good shine, its easier to run the slower it is, speed takes away from the gloss a little.

I could go on and on.....use a couple of red scoth brite pads, make sure EVERY spot is scuffed. Remember if its not scuffed it will not stick. Take your time taping so you don't have to clean overspray off the rubbers and such.

Painting out side is not impossibe, you will have more trash and bugs, pick a calm day. Black would be Crazy out side. The lighter the color the more you can hide.....

Any questions just PM me

Last edited by Shawn6string; 04-02-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea..i got to thinkin about it..my grandparents have an open carport thing..i could tarp that sucker off and do it in there...and now that i think about it...it would be better to do a basecoat then clearcoat..that way i can take care or slight runs if they happen..or lil misshaps

i'd still love to go with the DEEPEST DARKEST JET BLACK possible..but...i know the truck will be taken off road..haha..and with my tires...it will get some HUGE paint chips haha...which means it needs to be a TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH paint..

my swampers can throw some pretty good sized 3"-7" rocks...(yes..it will throw some fricken boulders..haha)..and i dont like running mudflaps..because they look ghey..haha..maybe some quick disconnect flaps
Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doodlebug
Thanks for the suggestions. I did check out the picture section, but there was nothing there that interested me. I'm not planning on doing this myself. I'll be taking it to a body shop. I wish I had the talent (and a place) to paint one. I like olharleyman's suggestion with the brandywine, wish I could find one to look at. Highway that looks really good. Want to come south for a "working" vacation? Anyway, thanks for your comments and suggestions fellas. Any other ideas are welcomed and appreciated.
Go to any paint supply store and ask them to see a paint chip of the HOK Brandywine and take it outside in the sun very very nice color.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
yea..i got to thinkin about it..my grandparents have an open carport thing..i could tarp that sucker off and do it in there...and now that i think about it...it would be better to do a basecoat then clearcoat..that way i can take care or slight runs if they happen..or lil misshaps

i'd still love to go with the DEEPEST DARKEST JET BLACK possible..but...i know the truck will be taken off road..haha..and with my tires...it will get some HUGE paint chips haha...which means it needs to be a TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH paint..

my swampers can throw some pretty good sized 3"-7" rocks...(yes..it will throw some fricken boulders..haha)..and i dont like running mudflaps..because they look ghey..haha..maybe some quick disconnect flaps
Actually I painted my black truck under the carport tarped off...... just take a water hose and wet the floor, driveway to help keep dust down.

This is a tacoma i did a year ago in the garage . This was some expensive paint as reds and blues are, black and whites are the cheaper ones.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 AM

[QUOTE=camo31"10.50";51106787]

QUOTE]

BMW Jet black is a very dark black, looks awsome.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Flash319
Tremclad Flat Black (1 gal 35 bucks CAN). Thinned with mineral spirits and voila!

That looks soooo awesome...What exactly is the deal with not being able to buy tremclad here in the U.S.???

Last edited by 894x4pickup; 04-03-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Let me see your black paint job.