Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

legal odometer ajustment to new cluster

Old 09-09-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
legal odometer ajustment to new cluster

ok installing clusters from other trucks is easy, yes. however, how do you change the odometer on the new cluster to the mileage on the old one, legally? i know how to do it myself, but i want to have it documented. (my friends dad was in the used car business and used to reset odometers all the time). anyone got any ideas?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Hawaii if the truck is more than a certain amount of years old ie; 10 years, than it won't matter. A carfax or something may show that the odometer doesn't match your registration though.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:21 AM

heh, not in nevada. you can adjust it yourself and just put on the title 'odometer readings are not accurate' or however its posted, but id like to keep it documented, you know?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may be the only person in the world who wants to make their odometer have MORE miles on it. I'd say don't worry about it, as long as it's within a few 10,000's of original, just think of it as free miles.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:09 PM

I understand why you want to do it. My Nissan was off by 31,000 miles it drove me nuts.

Check with your Dept./Bureau of Motor Vehicles. They answer those questions all the time and can tell what is the legal way to do it.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:40 PM

normally i wouldnt worry about it.. but my next door neighbor is a cop.. so if he sees me with a drill and the speedo or the speedo out of the dash hes gonna think somethins up.. you know? haha, things r very limited when your next door neighbor is a cop
Old 09-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
normally i wouldnt worry about it.. but my next door neighbor is a cop.. so if he sees me with a drill and the speedo or the speedo out of the dash hes gonna think somethins up.. you know? haha, things r very limited when your next door neighbor is a cop
Awww, No Meth Lab= NO Fun.....JK..... Ask you neighbor about it.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:31 PM

heh i plan to. and, minus the meth lab. strongest ill go is some green, and only that once in a great while. (like, once or twice a YEAR). ill stick with my corona w/ lime.. speaking of which, need to grab one... and a smoke too... oh yeah, not sure yotas like cigarette smoke either.... haha
Old 09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
heh i plan to. and, minus the meth lab. strongest ill go is some green, and only that once in a great while. (like, once or twice a YEAR). ill stick with my corona w/ lime.. speaking of which, need to grab one... and a smoke too... oh yeah, not sure yotas like cigarette smoke either.... haha
I was joking about the meth lab, since your neighbor is a cop. . Around my neck of the woods(Mendocino, Lake, and Humboldt county), Yota's seem to LOVE green.....at least their owners love it. . I saw a post on here of best of Craigslist, and a guy in Humboldt county wanted to sell his Yota for $1800, and a pound of green. Only in California Well, Northern California, anyway!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

i live in humboldt and yeah, people love the green. i saw a local craigslist ad for a guy just moved here from vermont or something. wanted to trade his yota for a pound and a half. it was hilarious, but didn't seem too strange. when you've lived in humboldt your whole life you get used to all kinda strange things. i nominated that craigslist ad for a best of or whatever, i wonder if it was the same one....

</thread hijack>
Old 09-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pennywize
i live in humboldt and yeah, people love the green. i saw a local craigslist ad for a guy just moved here from vermont or something. wanted to trade his yota for a pound and a half. it was hilarious, but didn't seem too strange. when you've lived in humboldt your whole life you get used to all kinda strange things. i nominated that craigslist ad for a best of or whatever, i wonder if it was the same one....

</thread hijack>
I think so. That was one of the funnyest things I've ever seen on Craigslist.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 AM

haha ya i saw ads like that in san diego too.. mostly east county/beach areas
Old 09-10-2007, 08:54 AM

Check your local laws to be sure, but in Colorado you can take the two clusters to the stealership (you might have to either leave the original one in and let them pull it and bring proof of VIN like an insurance card or your CURRENT registration) and they can reset it and give you paperwork.

I'm pretty sure the change MUST be done by the stealership though.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say you swap, adjust the mileage and be good. The cop nextdoor unless a jerk wont bother you and so long as the mileage is close to or exact its all good. Or you can apply for exemption from true mileage and then make up a paper with the original mileage, and the new cluster mileage and have it notarized just incase you ever sell and the buyer needs proof.