YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Left the emergency brake on while driving, what did we break?

Last night my son (who just learned to drive) wanted some practice driving in bad conditions (below 0F, 30-50mph winds, snow), so I pulled over and let him take over the 87 4runner. We did not notice until 10 miles or so later that the ebrake was still on part way while he was driving; guess we were trying too hard to find the road. Anyhow, the long and short of it is that we drove maybe 10-12 miles with the ebrake maybe half on. When I got out to check the rear hubs were hot; too hot to leave a finder on for more than a second, but not smoking. The wind and temps probably helped there. Later today I did a quick check in the inspection ports and plenty of front shoe lining left. Ebrake handle travel was 8" or so more than before at first, but a couple of dozen pulls on it and it adjusted itself so that it is back to specs on the travel and number of clicks. When it's warmer weather, I'll pull the drums and look inside, but for now I am just wondering what else might have gotten damaged by this mishap? I'm thinking maybe the rear axle seals and bearings. Any easy way to check those, or symptoms to watchout for? Anything else?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

You didn`t hurt anything with the ebrake being half way on, it just caused some brake drag that made the drums heat up a little more than normal, nothing to worry about.

Solid Axle Swap, 5'' lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR`s, Trail Gear High Steer, 5 speed manual swap, InchWorm Duel Cases, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5'' Trail Gear Springs In Front, 27 Spline Chromoly Axles In Front, 4.88 Gears, Detroit Locker In The Rear, High Pinion Front With An ARB, Downey Header, AFM Upgrade, 95 Amp Alternator, Trail Gear Sliders, Addicted Offroad Front Bumper.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to eighty5yota
how many clicks is it supposed to make? i thought it was all preference
85 single cab longBOB 18'' gone, 4 inch peice-o-crap rancho lift, roger brown 3 inch body lift, 33x12.5x15 MT/R, flat black (apparently non responsive to radar guns =] ) 16 speaker sound system with 10 boston 6x9's, 2 phoenix gold tweeters,2 4x6 infinity's and 2 kicker 12's
2400w.
PERFORMANCE MODS:
heavy right foot, quick left foot
Old 12-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think it would do anything really,We drove 30 miles in a huge lifted ford with 37's with the E-brake on,got out smelt like burn.so we let it sit for about 5 mins and were on our way with no problems at all.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

i have driven with my parking brake on plenty with my dodge and sometimes with my yota when i drive through ice puddles and wont release and nothing bad happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak View Post
In 5 days, God created the heavens and the earth. On the 6th day, God created the Toyota 4x4. On the 7th day, God rested.

1993 yota pickup. 3 slow, 4.56 gears 5 speed. plumbing isr. autopal h4 conversion, ebay hid's, 12 inch infinity sub. 3 inch body lift with 33" a/t with 15x10 eagle alloys
Old 12-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think with the rest of the dudes, no harm no foul. Also, just pulling it several times, just reset it to its' new correct distance. So don't worry if your click amounts have now changed a bit.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

depends. if you think you may have overheated some stuff. get the rear in the air pull the drums have a look on the inside of the drums for hard spots and crystallization or gouges anything else funny also to check the pads could have overheated they can glaze up and crack.

or just drive it like you stole it. unless you think you put ALLOT of heat into the rear brakes i wouldn't be to worried remember brakes get pretty freaking hot on there own under normal use. and keep a keen ear for any vibrations or funny noises from the rear end.

and make sure your parking brake warning light works
Old 12-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Contributing Member

How was it applied part way .

If you put it on so the vehicle won`t move you don`t do these things all that often
Old 12-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Contributing Member

I seriously doubt you did any permanent damage. If the brake was only applied slightly(IE to the point where you could drive the car without noticing it immediately), it probably did got hot, but likely not any worse than driving down a long grade, or something.
10/15 MPG city/hwy(with 33's)
Current Mods
Headers, 2.5" Flowmaster custom exhaust, K&N FIPK
KC Daylighters, electric fan
Ranchos x4, 2" Lift Downey coils
33-12.50 M/T's, 1" t-bar lift, 1" body lift
Tow pkg w/ lighthookups
Silverstar Headlights, Pioneer Deck w/XM
Brushguard
250Watt JLAudio 8" W3 Sub

Future Mods
12V Aux outlet-400/800peak inverter
roof basket/lights
Air locker
4.88 gears
H.O. Alternator
Old 12-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

JZA80-GTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty5yota View Post
how many clicks is it supposed to make? i thought it was all preference
9-17 clicks according to fsm
1987 4WD Pickup|Xtra-Cab|1.5" BL|Rebuilt 22r|W56B|V6 4:88s|307,xxx miles|LCE carb adapter|Edelbrock stainless air cleaner assembly|K&N 15" air filter|Sunpro 88mm supertach II|Hella 500|SR5 Bucket Seats|MC shifter seats & socket|Stull Grill|LCE Street Header|Magnaflow Cat|2.25" Exhaust|33x12.5 KM2s|15x8 Eagles
Build Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiroshu View Post
OK is the sound like this: "Tap tap tap" "Tick tick tick" "clack clack clack" "knock knock knock" "Ba ba ba ba" "Screech ta ta tap screech ta ta tap"........... Got oil?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
87, bad, brake, distant, drag, drive, driving, emergency, harm, left, low, on, parking, pu, pulling, short, speed, toyota