Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Leaking Antifreeze, Blowing White Smoke, can't find leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking Antifreeze, Blowing White Smoke, can't find leak

Just bought a 1995 4Runner V6 a few weeks ago. 167k. It was repossessed in May 2009 and has basically been sitting since then, so it needs lots of work!

Just did the timing belt, accessory belts, water pump, thermostat, radiator flush, front brakes, a few weeks ago. Also installed a new idler arm. Getting ready to do radiator hoses and new tires.

I started the truck up Friday morning, turned on the floor heater and front defrost as well as the rear defrost. Came back a few minutes later to drive to work, and noticed a puddle of antifreeze below the passenger's side seat, and a steady drip coming from the back of the engine. It definitely seems to be coming from the back, not actually dripping down and running along the skid plate then down.

Checked the coolant level on Sunday, seemed to be fine. Drove it up to the local ski hill, but kept the heater off. No overheating or dripping coolant. It does seem to be blowing white smoke, but not a huge cloud.

After some serious investigation, I still can't pinpoint where the leak is coming from. When pointing a flashlight straight towards the passenger seat when looking through the passenger's side front wheel well, I can see coolant dripping, but still can't see exactly where it's coming from.

Suggestions on where to look or what this might be? It doesn't seem like it's a head gasket thing, but who knows.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
If it's leaking in the vehicle then it could be the heater core. If it's on the outside it could be the HG, especially if you are burning it. Some of the white could be condensation, does it smell sweet???
Old 02-16-2010, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Definitely nothing leaking in the vehicle, only outside. I haven't noticed a sweet smell to the smoke coming from the exhaust. I'm planning on starting to replace some of the radiator hoses this weekend, so I can start it up after I do that and check for a sweet smell.

When we first tried diagnosing the leak, we turned the Runner on and let the engine warm up completely, no leaking. Turned the heat on, no leaking. Turned the rear defrost on, started leaking, but didn't stop once the defrost was turned off. Might just be coincidental, but that's what led to the heating coil assumption.

I know these trucks are notorious for head gasket issues, and we were planning on replacing the head gaskets at some point, but would like to get new tires for it first, and we don't have a garage to work in, just the street, so we'd like to wait til warmer weather to start tearing stuff up.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 AM

The rear defrost??? Do you mean the rear heat? Yes it can and will leak there as well. Start tracing all the lines when you are able. If it's a hose it will be easy to find. Mine leaks a little below the rear heater, the hard lines need to be cut out and replaced.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 AM

I think it was the rear defrost, unless I'm completely mistaken! The button immediately to the right of the steering wheel, next to the heating vents in the front.

I'm hoping it's just a hose, especially with the coolant flush maybe adding extra pressure to the system? But the white smoke still has me concerned.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Ok, I was asking because the rear defrost has nothing to do with the coolant.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 AM

Good to know. When I learned how much was wrong with this truck I decided to finally start learning how to do all my own mechanical work, otherwise it's way too freakin' expensive. So I wasn't sure if the coolant leak could be related to the rear defrost or not.

I guess I'll start tracing hoses first, and see if that fixes the problem. I was thinking about trying to do a compression test to double check head gasket issues? Unfortunately this truck only qualified for the steering linkage recall, not the head gasket recall.