86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LCE header problem..HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCE header problem..HELP!!

Just put a $400 header kit on my 94 x-cab and it doesnt fit..

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...artRevisionID=

Header fits fine, connector (1041015) has a weird bend toward the frame that causes contact with the torsion bar mount. LCE says its Toyotas fault. "Toyota did some weird things", they say. I say they welded the flange on at the wrong angle or something. They want to send me the connector for the 4 runner which is a slip and clamp deal (1041012). I dont like the idea of spending 4 hundy just to end up rigging it in the end.

Look at the pics and tell me what you think.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shawndet...60762401014712

What would you do?

any advice is apprieciated.

Last edited by luxdlx; 05-10-2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: make links work
Old 05-10-2007, 12:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
None of your links work because you hit "copy" instead of "copy shortcut".

From the way it sounds you need to send the header back.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:55 AM

I had the same issue.

I did 2 things.

One.. was go to a muffler shop and have them make a hanger that pulls the pipe away from the torsion bar mount.

two.. I ground a little of the mount away. Not enough to hurt anything just to keep it from hitting.

Thant fixed it for me.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LCE got a problem....

LCE's bull-headed arrogance is why I do not conduct business with them. As an engineer, I am not overly impressed with their offerings. The header problem you are having should have been handled in a mature manner by their customer no service department. Furthermore, unless they adpopt a business model that the customer is always right, they will stay on that slipery slope towards less and less business. I would call back and demand a refund and get a Doug Thorley or some other brand that others have been pleased with in the past. The stupid argument that "Toyota did something" is crap. High volume production doesn't allow one-off anomalies to go out the door that would create the kind of problems you are having. LCE is the one with a problem.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
LCE's bull-headed arrogance is why I do not conduct business with them. As an engineer, I am not overly impressed with their offerings. The header problem you are having should have been handled in a mature manner by their customer no service department. Furthermore, unless they adpopt a business model that the customer is always right, they will stay on that slipery slope towards less and less business. I would call back and demand a refund and get a Doug Thorley or some other brand that others have been pleased with in the past. The stupid argument that "Toyota did something" is crap. High volume production doesn't allow one-off anomalies to go out the door that would create the kind of problems you are having. LCE is the one with a problem.

I am guessing you had a bad experience to...

I had a similar experience happen but mine was on the mid pipe (pipe from header to cat) they sent me all the midpipes they had and allowed me to send back the ones I did not need. They really took care of me. Any where you look you will find good things and neg things said about any company.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:30 AM

i must have got lucky mine fit perfect
Old 05-10-2007, 04:30 PM

Had the same problem on 92 4x4 , I just called them they sent the slip joint pipe it fits fine . They were very nice to deal with.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I've dealt w/ LCE several times...never a problem.

I have the LCE header and high flow cat system.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:49 PM

Hmmm, thats funny, they (LCE) act like this is the first time they have ever heard of this problem.

If their product wasnt so beautiful, I'd tell em to suk it. Maybe I should anyway but I'm not so impressed with the Thorley. The Pacesetter and the like just look like junk. Keep in mind, this truck only has 70,000 mi. and I will never sell it so I need something that will last. BUT, I dont think $400 warrants a slip pipe.

Any other suggestions?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
None of your links work because you hit "copy" instead of "copy shortcut".

From the way it sounds you need to send the header back.
Don't have the option to copy shortcut. The links should work now however. Let me know if they don't.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks like you didint take that heat shield off i had one on my 22re fit awesome
Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 PM

Heat shield isn't an issue. Header fit fine. Connector pipe bend is the issue.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 PM

I had the same problem on my 92, but I was having a custom exhaust made so I didnt worry about it.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 PM

Yeah, but I am worried about ruining my O2 sensor as it rubs against the torsion bar mount. Also, as is, it wont line up with the hangers for the cat. WE wouldnt want me to run w/no cat would WE?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:49 PM

i had a different fitment problem with the LCE kit for my tacoma. i didnt like having to rig it after forking the cash either, but i did end up going down to a local shop and paying for them to fix it. worked out fine, just a little more dough than anticipated. good product overall.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:07 PM

If your doing the header, do the whole exhaust, and put a universal 2.25" cat and muffler in, then you can have it how you want it.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:07 AM

I took a look at the pic.

It looks like it contacts the Torsion Bar Socket heat shield?

Back in the days when LARRY CARPENTER owned the place, the instructions used to say "toss the heat shield". I didnt want to.

I took off the heat sheild and um "modded it" with a block of wood and a ball been hammer. Put it back and it fit fine.

And yes - Toyota did do some strange things over the years. I have an 89 4Runner which has an odd combo of Gen1 and Gen2 stuff on it... fun at the parts counter I say...

LC IMHO makes the best 22R headers out there, but that might not be saying much either..
Old 05-11-2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ewong
I took a look at the pic.

LC IMHO makes the best 22R headers out there, but that might not be saying much either..

I agree. The header is beautiful, but I have a hard time believing that my frame is different, or that the engine alignment on my truck is any different than any other 94. So, I would have to believe that anyone who orders a header and connector for a 94 x cab has the same problem OR they ˟˟˟˟ up on this particular one and wont admit it even after I sent them the pics.

Either way, I wont be satisfied by a slip connector and clamp. Its just not right.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:26 PM

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the fitment problems are occuring with trucks? Anyone have issues with a 4Runner?

I'm considering buying an LCE header for my Runner (22RE), but the only thing thats holding me back is the issue about the connector pipe some people have. I e-mailed LCE and asked specifically which connector pipe should be used for my application (1041012). So should I be expecting problems?

My prevous experience with them has been good. I bought a header for my Tacoma (3RZ), and was very pleased with the quality and fitment.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by 4WDarren
,,,So should I be expecting problems?

My prevous experience with them has been good. I bought a header for my Tacoma (3RZ), and was very pleased with the quality and fitment.
well as i said, i had fitment problems with my LCE header on the tacoma. but not my 4runner, fit like a glove. the tacoma was a change year from 2 to 1 cats, so toyota did do some funny things from year to year. as a whole, both are good on their trucks for me.

Quick Reply: LCE header problem..HELP!!