Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

LC Engineering MECHANICAL fan

Old 06-04-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
LC Engineering MECHANICAL fan

Has anyone tried one of these? I have only found people doing the electrical fan swaps. Doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference, but there is one on craigslist locally, so at least I wouldn't be paying retail to find out. Any feedback would be appreciated. And yes, I used the search function.

Have a good one.

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...4-36F6A5C0BDC2
Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt waste the money. Is yours toast? Why do you feel liek you need the "upgrade"? Too bling bling for me anyway. Buy it and sell if for double to the dude who just spent 15 hours to polish his intake. He will jizz himself when he sees that thing.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a flex fan. No clutch, therefore it always pulls the maximum amount of air, they are noisy & although rare the blades can come apart at higher RPM's.

I would stay with the factory one if I were you as they seem to be pretty solid. If you were going to be doing a lot of hill climbing & working the engine pretty hard at slow speeds then I would go with an electric fan. Not a cheap auto parts store one though, get a good fan like one from a Ford Taurus or Lincoln Mark VIII if it will fit.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 PM

Mine works fine. I was just looking to see if taking the weight of the stock fan is worth it, power and/or mpg wise. If its not that big of difference, I will save the money to put towards something else. Thanks guys.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
you could always go...

at least that's the setup geting dropped in during my 22re rebuild

Old 06-04-2009, 10:05 PM

jizz him self LMAO
Old 06-05-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
you could always go...

at least that's the setup geting dropped in during my 22re rebuild

Oh trust me, I have been watching your thread, I love all the pics. You have been making pretty good progress, makes me want to overhaul mine, but the only thing wrong is a little oil pan leak.

If you don't mind me asking how much did the fan and relay cost you??
Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 AM

ewwwww run fast and far away for one of thous they suck a fair amonte of power from your truck

just d a e fan install and call it a day

more power cool's well just make sure you get a fan that cooles like 3000 cfm
Old 06-05-2009, 01:50 PM

I have the LCE fan on my 85 and it works great, the fan mixed with a aluminum radiator from ebay and my truck runs 180 degrees all day. It doesnt rob any power that I can tell but it is loud. If you do install one make sure you put locktite on all the bolts.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Oh trust me, I have been watching your thread, I love all the pics. You have been making pretty good progress, makes me want to overhaul mine, but the only thing wrong is a little oil pan leak.

If you don't mind me asking how much did the fan and relay cost you??
the fan was like $65, and the controller with relay was around $35. You can go cheaper though. I went with the BIGGEST fan than could fit over my core, and grabbed the best control box they had, that also has an AC function that kick's on with the AC compressor

you can do an electric fan for FAR cheaper and still get very good results... anything beats the power-rob I use to suffer when my fan clutch would engage if I had the AC on and the fan clutch kicked in a the same time, the thing would hardly get up to 55mph... of caurse, you've been watching the thread, so you also know just how worn out that old motor was, lol

Old 06-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I talked to a racing radiator customizer and he said electric fans will NEVER pull what the factory manual fan will cool. Plus you're pulling up to 60 amps if you have a couple of mondo electric fans....
Old 06-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
I talked to a racing radiator customizer and he said electric fans will NEVER pull what the factory manual fan will cool. Plus you're pulling up to 60 amps if you have a couple of mondo electric fans....
well on a race car that sees a constant 5000 RPMs + and is always moving as fast as it can, that's true

but when you're on the trail creeping along in 4wd low at less than 10mph and at less than 2000 RPMs, there's not a whole lot of air flow through that radiator

with an electric fan, you at least have that air flow, at a dead stop, no matter the engine RPMs

Old 06-05-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the factory thermostatic fan clutch is the best of both worlds. It pulls a lot of air when it's needed and disengages when it's not. I would not replace it with a noisy flex fan.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:09 PM

If you want a fan that will cool your truck & you are dead set on electric then do yourself a favor & get a Ford Taurus 2 speed fan or a Mark VIII fan (if it will fit) They pull more air than just about anything out there & are used on hot rods & rock crawlers all of the time. It cools the 32 valve 4 cam engine with ease. Or find any good OEM E fan from the bone yard that will fit from a larger engine.

No offense but almost any comparable sized OEM electric fan will run circles around the one pictured on the radiator above. Been there & done that. Those little aftermarket fans are a joke, especially if you have A/C. It may be OK for a 4 banger but that's about it.

I would rather have the stock clutch fan any day over that little electric fan. The fan clutch doesn't rob you of more than a few HP. The factory clutch fan is a great fan & works very well. If you are overheating from slow crawling then by all means get a good OEM E fan. If you don't run hot then I wouldn't change a thing cause you won't gain enough power to feel.

Just my experience.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

we'll see

Old 06-05-2009, 06:21 PM

my factory aisin fan keeps my motor at 180 when wheeling I jump to 210 I would not change it. Another thing to consider is water crossings I dont think the LCE fan would like slapping water, oh yea and yourengine bay might get pissed off too.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Plumbrbob
my factory aisin fan keeps my motor at 180 when wheeling I jump to 210 I would not change it. Another thing to consider is water crossings I dont think the LCE fan would like slapping water, oh yea and yourengine bay might get pissed off too.
tiz the reason for the 3 position switch

Down is fully auto with temp and AC, middle is override off, and up is override constant on

Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 PM

tiz the reason for the 3 position switch

Down is fully auto with temp and AC, middle is override off, and up is override constant on

I was refering to the OP

LCE mechanical fan
Old 06-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Plumbrbob
I was refering to the OP

LCE mechanical fan
aha, ok, got cha my bad

but still...
Old 06-05-2009, 08:43 PM

aha, ok, got cha my bad

but still...
no problemo I figured you had your electric on a toggle, just worried about that stationary flex fan when you go muddin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LC Engineering MECHANICAL fan