86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LC Engineering Exhaust & LC balanced Injector install & review

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LC Engineering Exhaust & LC balanced Injector install & review

This was my big project today, and the worst part of it was trying to stem the dribbling of gasoline from the fuel lines. Rubber corks, bolts, washers and about 2 rolls of shop towels later, gas was still running out of the fuel line at roughly 1 pint every 15-20 minutes, until...

... I unscrewed the gas cap!!! As a last resort, it released a lot of pressure, and the leaking stopped immediately. Wow! Gas fumes beat a six-pack buzz anyday... ugh... The mailman even commented on the smell of gasoline as he walked by.

The injector install went well other than that, the sticky to the FSM is an invaluable piece of info. I had a step-by-step .pdf on my laptop, resting on the driver side of the engine compartment, guiding my motions. Lots of pictures helped in the reassembly phase of the project, especially with a few of the vacuum lines. A torque wrench is an invaluable part of this project, as is a little patience. Adjusting the TPS wih the TB off the motor is really easy as well.

The exhaust install went smoothly, I put a Magnaflow cat & LC Engineering cat-back system on. I used the clamps that came with the kit, along with copper super high temp RTV at all clamped spots, and I am happy to report no leaks after nearly 100 miles today. I plan on having all clamped spots welded at some point.

The exhaust is a little loud for me, I try to fly under the radar as much as possible and a loud exhaust draws attention, but if you keep your foot out of the throttle it is only a little louder than stock. Definitely a quality product, plenty of bolts, hangers & clamps, as well as a really nice finish, matching my header. There is enough piping to eliminate the cat altogether, as well as plates to block off the o2 sensor behind the cat.

2nd gear wound out is quite a bit louder than stock though, and the combination of injectors & exhaust has opened the motor up some more. My power seems to be a smoother transition from all speeds, and throttle response is much snappier. The powerband is definitely starting just before 2000 rpm, and the motor seems to peak at around 3250-3500 rpm, but pulls evenly through the entire RPM range. This is all butt dyno, of course.

The system used most of the factory hangers, but I plan to add another one or two just for strength. The clearance was fine, but th exhaust does seem to sit a little low, about even with the level of the bottom of the gastank.

Pics? Well, I have a few, but i`ll add more tomorrow. If anyone is doing either fuel injectors or this exhaust in the future, I will be glad to answer questions or lend a hand if you are in the neighborhood.

Last edited by AZ89LONGBED; 11-12-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:23 PM

So...just put on new injectors and header...

Cost?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:13 AM

injectors were 248 (48 dollar core will be refunded)

exhaust (with cat) was 425

35 for shipping...

`just`injectors & an exhaust, yeah... Not bad for a white guy who has to work outside on a dirt driveway without a garage or much of a toolbox.

I will be a loyal LC customer, those guys have helped me a bunch with my rebuild & I can order from them in the afternoon & have parts the next morning. Plus I am supporting AZ business & economy...

BTW-- I know a lot of people get down on LC for their pricing, but I believe you do get what you pay for. I`ve been dinking around with 4x4`s for the last few decades, and I can say without a doubt that there have been more bad experiences than good when it comes to mail-order parts & service.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I hear a lot of folks talk about all the injector leaking issues, but I've been into mine 5 times and never had an issue. I replace ALL the gaskets each time. What did finally attribute the leaking to??? I know you said gas cap but it HAS to be something besides that...
Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
I hear a lot of folks talk about all the injector leaking issues, but I've been into mine 5 times and never had an issue. I replace ALL the gaskets each time. What did finally attribute the leaking to??? I know you said gas cap but it HAS to be something besides that...
The #1 injector was leaking on the fuel rail side. I did the drip test per the FSM and 2 of my three 'dripped' excessively, like several drops per minute instead of the spec 1 or less.

I used some really light grease when I put the injectors in, and it went fine. My OE injectors went in fine when the motor was apart a month ago, but they should have been tested... Oh well.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:02 PM

wow i want to do this to my truck. eaxhaust from the header back and then intake with the tb bore and injecotr and a mild cam! i heard the stock header is the best.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 PM

hey az i used to live in kingman and go up to the snow bowl - and drink beer anyway what type of light grease did you use??
Old 11-15-2008, 02:17 PM

wd-40 & gasoline... It is what a few people said, the FSM says fuel works, also make sure any pieces of the old grommets & o-rings are outta there.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:34 PM

Pictures, BTW...

The pipe behind the cat up to the muffler will be changed to add more clearance. I am also going to add some more hangers.

Last edited by AZ89LONGBED; 11-15-2008 at 02:35 PM.