Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LC Coil Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LC Coil Install

Alright guys I have been around long enough to know how to use the search feature but just couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.

My friend and I attempted to install the fj80 rear coils into the rear of my 94 4Runner yeaterday. We managed to get both stock coils out as well as the driver's side LC coil in but the passenger side just will not go in. We have disconnected the sway bars, panhard bar, shocks etc and we still can't get the axle to drop down far enough to get it to go in. We are using coil spring compressors and the truck is up on a lift. We even went as far as to put a jack stand under the driver's side of the axle and lowering the truck on the lift to put more pressure on that side and allow to other side to drop down. So with everything disconnected, the springs compressed, jack stand under the driver's side, and me (6'4 315 lbs.) hanging off the ground on the brake drum we are still three or four inches away from this thing going in. Please help!

Thanks for serious responses.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:22 AM

when i put my new spings in i had to use coil comressers and unbolt alot of stuff.
I unbolted the swaybar, shocks, and it was on a lift. i used a jack to raies the right side and stood on the left and a friend slid the coil in.
U might even want to try to disconect the links so u can fit it in if the above dont work for u.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by runneroffroad
when i put my new spings in i had to use coil comressers and unbolt alot of stuff.
I unbolted the swaybar, shocks, and it was on a lift. i used a jack to raies the right side and stood on the left and a friend slid the coil in.
U might even want to try to disconect the links so u can fit it in if the above dont work for u.

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried everything that you mentioned with no success. The only thing I haven't done yet is disconnecting some of the suspension links. I guess I will try that and maybe even the rear drive shaft?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by hlpressley
Thanks for the reply. I have already tried everything that you mentioned with no success. The only thing I haven't done yet is disconnecting some of the suspension links. I guess I will try that and maybe even the rear drive shaft?
i dont think the drive shaft will help at all but u might just want to try it if the links dont work

Last edited by runneroffroad; 02-14-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Leave the links connected and tires on, but have the shocks and pan-hard disconnected.

Install the passenger side coil first, then, jack up the passenger side rear tire (you're compressing the right coil, get it) so you have a little more leverage space to work with, but be sure your supporting the frame while doing the steps, especially the next one, it is easy to get overzealous and loose your rig's stability. Preferably, use a 4 arm lift and strap all the frame points down so nothing moves, I had ours come off the right rear arm 3" and could've toppled the rig off the lift! (D-Oh!) Now just have someone push down on the left tire while you put the driver spring in the upper pocket and use a 2' prybar against the bottom plate to lever the coil in.

USE EXTREME CAUTION, IT IS EASY TO HAVE THE PRYBAR SLIP AND HURT SOMEONE OR SOMETHING.

SAME WITH SPRING CLAMPS, WE USED 4 AND STILL HAD TO LEVER THEM IN.

Last edited by KelleyC; 02-14-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep them coming as I am sure as many people that are running these there has to be more ideas.

This was never this hard when I put them in my 3rd gen. It took 30 minutes tops for the entire process.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont forget to get a longer brake line haha.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
Dont forget to get a longer brake line haha.
..and reset your pressure bias on the LSPV, you might even need to fab a bracket to get the adjustable height to bring the pressure up to the right amount.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Got them in this afternoon. Ended up having to disconnect one of the links as well as drop the drive shaft where it bolts to the third member. After doing those two things it was an easy install. Pics coming when I get my wheels and tires mounted on the truck. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:38 PM

Did you get a Panard drop bracket? I just finished doing this lift option a couple weeks ago.