Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Knock Sensor!!! Please help need some oppinions!!!

Old 03-27-2007, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Knock Sensor!!! Please help need some oppinions!!!

Ok im new to this site and just looking for some feedback into this nightmare that i have got myself into! I own an 89 pickup with the 3.0 v6 225,000 then i threw a rod! So after some thinking and research i decided to just have my mechanic throw in a new long block! Simple write? Wrong they got this whole thing back together and running and then the Knock Sensor issue comes up! So he tells me that there getting a new wire harness and knock sensor and that they were not going to dig 5 hours down into the motor to replace it that they would make a bracket and just mount it to the firewall! Now me not been to mechanically brite thought yea go for it sounds fine to me. So i go back to pick it up and the check engine light still comes on and they say they have no clue what to do! They claim they dont understand cause my old engine use to have such a bad knock and never tripped the light off now this new engine that purrs like a kitten trips it off after you drive it for about 4 minutes! So they set up an appointment at some other import garage to have it looked at and it cant get there for 2 weeks cause there so busy! Now keep in mind they have had my truck for 2 months and its been sitting with this new motor in for about 2 weeks now and now i have to wait another 2 weeks???? ARGH! So i do a little research on this site and called the import place to tell them what i seen on here and as i was explaining stuff to the guy on the phone he is laughing and laughing im like hello and he said oh sorry were playing cards! CLICK! I hung up the phone went and got my truck from this place out of anger and took it to another place where im going to have this guy rip it down put the knock sensor where it is suppose to be! (not mounted to the firewall) with a new wire harness and hope for the best! Do you guys believe that this is what is wrong and if i go through putting the knock sensor where it is suppose to be with a new wiring harness that this is going to work??? I am so extremely frustrated write now and just want my truck back and dont care if i have to pay someone to do it the write way even though the shop that put the motor in my truck should be responsible and take care of it! I have just stuck alot of money into this thing and i want it done write and think that the knock sensor should be put where it is suppose to be and not mounted to the firewall wrapped in a rag! I hope this works cause if it dont i might have to drive off a bridge!!!! PLEASE YOUR OPPINIONS, COMMENTS, AND THOUGHTS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK YOU,
RENZYY
Old 03-27-2007, 02:18 AM

personally, i'd pressure the first company you had work on it--you paid them to fix your truck...so far they havent. Therfor, you shouldnt have to pay them until they do it right. Or throw a brick through their window...one of the two.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Pepsi to a point. However, I do not think that I would feel comfortable having a shop, who felt that a knock sensor job was too hard, tear into the top of my motor. The job itself is quite easy for a mechanic - it is just time consuming. Seems to me like the perfect job for a shop, but who am I.

Was your CEL on for the knock sensor before you took it in there? If so, I would say that the shop is responsible. If not, then that may just be bad timing as well. Did they for sure take the KS off the old motor and put it on the new one(with a new KS wire)?

Katie
Old 03-27-2007, 02:33 AM

Dude, a knock sensor wrapped in a rag? Are you joking? Take it back there and demand that they replace it. How much did you pay them to put the engine in? Make them do it right. So they basically jerry rigged a knock sensor incorrectly and it didn't work anyways? Your story is rediculous, take it and make them do it right. Wrapped in a rag???? WTF
Old 03-27-2007, 10:06 AM

Tell them you want a new sensor also. Drop or give the sensor a good tap with a wrench and it's toast. I don't doubt it would be bad after having them monkey around with it on the firewall.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Make sure the code was re-set. I think you need to pull the fuse for some time or unhook the battery for awhile to let the computer set back to normal and clean the codes out. That may be why the engine light still comes on even though a new sensor and harness have been installed (even if it is to the firewall) Just a thought.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah I'm with Kat, I wouldn't trust that place that put your KS on the firewall with changing my oil now, much less taking the top of the engine off. I'd replace the KS and KS wire myself. Here's a 93 FSM that will be very similar to your 89: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...fsm/index.html
Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Renzy
motor to replace it that they would make a bracket and just mount it to the firewall
I don't know what kind of arrangement you have with the shop, but if they are responsible for the condition of the motor - have them fix it correctly. New wire/ new knock sensor. It is a lot of work, but that's what you PAID for.

Knock sensors work by "listening" to specific frequencies of noise. Who knows what noise it's picking up on the firewall.. Or maybe not functioning at all might trigger a diagnostic code.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:54 PM

haha

this is hilarious

mounted to the firewall, wrapped in a rag, you say?

what kind of ☺☺☺☺ing mechanics are these?

hopefully it wasn't an off-the-clock job someone did for you....if so, there probably isn't ☺☺☺☺ you can do. but if it was a legitimate thing, there are laws protecting you. many of them. i think at this point you should make a call to the bureau of consumer affairs and see what they say
Old 03-28-2007, 05:41 AM

Your knock sensor belongs in the block. And it has a specific place in the block that shouldn't be changed unless you switched over to forged pistons or some other drastic change from stock.

Was there some issue that kept them from putting it in it's proper place? I doubt you would need a whole freaking new harness, it is possible to lengthen the wire the knock sensor plugs into.

Here is a simple way to see what that check engine light means:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/index.html
Old 03-28-2007, 05:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Mochester is probably right.....not a damn thing you can do. I've been through enough bad mechanics to know attempting to do anything is a big waste of time and energy. So, yeah, blow them the ˟˟˟˟˟˟ off! If they screw that up, they can screw up other things. Besides, you don't want someone with such a ˟˟˟˟˟ty attitude working on your vehicle. Bad mojo!

EDIT: If the new mechanic is someone who patient and will work with you, let him/her do it. I'm willing to bet that is atleast part of your problem.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Last edited by thook; 03-28-2007 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Mochester is probably right.....not a damn thing you can do. I've been through enough bad mechanics to know attempting to do anything is a big waste of time and energy. So, yeah, blow them the ˟˟˟˟˟˟ off! If they screw that up, they can screw up other things. Besides, you don't want someone with such a ˟˟˟˟˟ty attitude working on your vehicle. Bad mojo!

EDIT: If the new mechanic is someone who patient and will work with you, let him/her do it. I'm willing to bet that is atleast part of your problem.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
X2, and after you get it fixed save the receipts and have an attorney send the bill to the bozos with a nice little letter.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
X2, and after you get it fixed save the receipts and have an attorney send the bill to the bozos with a nice little letter.
I couldnt agree more!! Heck I can swap out your knock sensor and wire in a day or two digging into the top of your engine! Them doing mounting the KS on the firewall would be TOTALLY unacceptable!!!

Wow I think I'd give someone a cresent kick to the head just for suggesting it to a paying customer (not really but would want to...)

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-28-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:10 PM

Just thanking ya guys!

Id like to thank everyone for there comments and compliment everyone on this site it is great and everyone does a great job running it! The guy doing my truck now has the Knocksensor back were it is suppose to be and just has to retime the truck tomorrow Knock on wood that everything works i miss my truck like you wouldnt believe! Strange i have had so many nice cars and trucks in my life but just love this 89 Toyota for some reason weird! Ok keep up the good work and ill let you guys know how it turns out thanks again!

Renzy
Old 04-04-2007, 10:08 PM

good luck renzy, iam dealing with my knock sensor too