86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread

Howdy from Austin, TX.

A few months ago I decided I wanted a truck, and after some research I got the Toyota bug, quick. I just bought this 1988 4Runner today. 4 cylinder 5-speed with a 2" body lift and a 2" suspension lift. It's already been painted with bed liner and has a relatively new transmission.

[11/12 Update: Now that I've been working on the truck for a while, I don't see a body lift. I think the previous owner was mistaken and I was too green to know the difference.]

As I get aclimated to all the engine and suspension sounds I know I'll be hopping in here with plenty of mechanical and electrical questions.

I hope these newb threads aren't worn-out and annoying. I'm looking forward to continuing this project! One of the first orders of business is either finding a new gas cap door, or find a fix for a broken hinge. I was considering magnets at the corners where the hinge was.

Last edited by Ocell; 11-02-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your gonna fall in love.
Good luck
Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buck87
Your gonna fall in love.
Good luck
He even slid open the windows, that's something I hardly ever see haha
Old 07-07-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Lets see some more pictures when you get a chance.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to yota tech. Like the guys said your gonna love it. And your gonna get addicted. So kiss free time and money good bye lol
Old 07-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Yep, that's a good start! You're always gonna be broke now, though. I'll take it off your hands, spare ya the expenditures!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Some advice: if you have questions use the search feature before starting a new post. It doesn't always work right, I find that many things I search for don't come up on YT's search but do come up on Google. So you can fall back on google too. In Google's search box, type your search words and add "site:www.yotatech.com" [without the quotation marks] to the end to limit the search to this site.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the search tip. I've been reading on here for a while now so I could make sure I was getting a decent buy.

I've already dug in to the rear trim panels to get to the switch that is supposed to be activated by one of the top bolts. The bolt wasn't even close to engaging the switch (lots of custom modifications on this thing, not sure exactly how stock is supposed to look) so I unplugged the switch and jumped the connector with a wire, like I know so many do. Needed to get the rear window up because of some storms coming in tonight.

The steering box is soaked in fluid, so I'll be digging in to that issue soon. I hope it's just a loose hose and not bad seals. It's too dark to be able to tell right now, but I'm not optimistic.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome...glad to see someone else has seen the light!
It's an 88...its 24 years old and it's been modified. You will be spending alot of time working on this truck!!!
So, the smartest thing you can do is find a Factory service manual and then keep your eye out for a Factory Wiring Diagram Manual. There just happens to be a FSM on E-bay right now. the link is below.
Good Luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Toyota-...rature&vxp=mtr
Old 07-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech.

I have (2) 1988 4Runners, 1 V6 and 1 4 cyl.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 PM

It looks like the PO put power steering fluid in the system instead of ATF...

Tonight the front driver's wheel starting making a creak in time with rotation. It has 3/6 lugs intact, all on one side, and that sound has convinced me to park it until I can get the broken wheel bolts replaced. Any thoughts?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Replace the broke wheel studs, obviously. The creaking can be related to the wheel shifting while turning. Depending on things, it could be the belt slipping on the pump making a screech too.

If the PO did use PS fluid, and it's not yet leaking, flush and fill with the right fluid.

I'd also suggest rotating the tires. The fronts have started developing a wear pattern from being up front and need a break.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:01 PM

Yeah, I think it's related to the broke studs. It's just frustrating to have to park a new toy.

The steering box is already completely soaked in fluid, so it's too late, unfortunately.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 AM

Studs weren't broken on the hubs, they were broken on some spacers (that I didn't realize were back there).

I ordered some Spidertrax 1.5" for all four wheels. I'll get some photos of before/after once I get the parts in and get the truck back from my mechanic. He's doing a look over for any immediate problems.

Flushed the power steering system to make sure only ATF is in there. Maybe that will keep the existing leak from becoming terminal too quick.

Last edited by Ocell; 08-02-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:54 PM

Good luck on your runner!! I'm in the same boat, dealing with and fixing po lazy, sketchy ways of doing things. Keep up the good work
Old 07-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Thanks Yota.

Got a new Tailgate License Plate cover from maco35. I tore it down and cleaned all the dirt out of it and it looks good. Thinking of sanding the white lettering off of the back to leave a white outline.

I also got new corner marker lights. One is busted out, so I went ahead and got a matching pair to replace it. Hopefully I can throw all this stuff on the truck this weekend.

http://instagram.com/p/NAIYzDkCif/

Old 07-13-2012, 07:30 PM

Work has been insane, but this evening I got to take a couple more photos, as well as install the side-marker lights I got.

While installing I realized the truck has been crunched a bit in the front driver's side corner. There's crumpling on the inside of the unibody, as well as some repair welding. The grille and lights don't all line up right, but it's close. Not a beauty-queen anyway.

The busted marker light.

Fixed.

I know this is trivial, but progress is progress. Waiting for my wheel spacers to get in so I can drive this thing safely.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice looking truck you have there, subscribed to your built.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 PM

Not trivial at all, I was drooling when I bought some manual hubs for my rig yesterday lol.

That's a nice rig. I'm kinda kicking myself for getting a 2nd gen (sometimes...) but I do love the soft coil springs. I miss the 1st gen 4runners I've had dearly
Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 PM

It looks good, man. I'd ALMOST trade my truck for a 1st Gen runner in similar condition. Just love the way they look.

Quick Reply: Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread