86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just got my first 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my first 4Runner

An 87, in decent shape (I think/hope). Needs some cleaning and some body rust fixup, but I think it will be a good truck. First I wanted to thank the folks at Yodatech, as you have provided me with lots of info and answers about 4Runners, their problems and solution while I was searching for one. Hopefully you've helped me make a good choice. After the usual changing fluids and filters and a cleanup, the main issue is that the tranny is popping out of 1st gear most of the time. Stays fine in all other gears, and doesn't quite feel like it engages 1st all the way when shifting. So I have ordered the Marlin shifter seat replacement; hopefully that will fix the problem. If not, I'm looking for replacement used trannies too, just in case. The other major annoyance is the driver's side window. It does go up and down, but requires way more force than it should. I'm assuming a good cleaning/lube of the regulator and tracks. Any other tricks/warnings on these? Other than these two issues, everything seems to be working (amazing compared to most of the Runners I looked at). Just curious if the folks here have any suggestions for other things to check/replace on a 4Runner of this age. TIA
Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 PM

I would give it a full tune up and fix the rusting areas.
Congrads on your 4runner and welcome to yotatech
Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 AM

i have the same problem with my first gear. the gear itself works, but i have to hold it in place. i'm never in first gear long enough to have it bother me so i haven't done anything about it. unfortunately for me, it's just starting to do it in 3rd gear every now and then too, so i'm eventually gonna have to think about doing something.

my first car was an 88 camry (one of the few 5 speeds manuals), it popped out of 5th gear. i jerry rigged a bungee cord. as soon as i shifted into 5th gear, i slipped the bungee cord over the shifter. worked great for 20,000+ miles until i sold it! hahaha
Old 10-29-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Steve777
An 87, in decent shape (I think/hope). Needs some cleaning and some body rust fixup, but I think it will be a good truck. First I wanted to thank the folks at Yodatech, as you have provided me with lots of info and answers about 4Runners, their problems and solution while I was searching for one. Hopefully you've helped me make a good choice. After the usual changing fluids and filters and a cleanup, the main issue is that the tranny is popping out of 1st gear most of the time. Stays fine in all other gears, and doesn't quite feel like it engages 1st all the way when shifting. So I have ordered the Marlin shifter seat replacement; hopefully that will fix the problem. If not, I'm looking for replacement used trannies too, just in case. The other major annoyance is the driver's side window. It does go up and down, but requires way more force than it should. I'm assuming a good cleaning/lube of the regulator and tracks. Any other tricks/warnings on these? Other than these two issues, everything seems to be working (amazing compared to most of the Runners I looked at). Just curious if the folks here have any suggestions for other things to check/replace on a 4Runner of this age. TIA
Welcome to Yotatech! I bought my first 4Runner about a year ago and I absolutely love it.
I'd check all of your fluids and if they don't look new then flush and replace.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need a shifter seat and bushing in your shifter, cheap parts and easy to do.

Your shifting will improve and you will not pop out of gear anymore.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:00 AM

Cool, I also just got an 87 4runner here in colorado, Mine doesn't run yet but congrats on getting yours and good luck
Old 10-30-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
For the window, lube the crap out of it, and make sure your weather stripping is not disfigured and dry-rotted. Is it a power window? If it is, take the switch apart (the 6 screws holding the brackets on) and scrape the corrosion off of the contacts.

Good luck!

Alex
Old 11-01-2009, 08:10 AM

And how about some pics