Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just finished HG and timing, vanilla milkshake. Help!

Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished HG and timing, vanilla milkshake. Help!

Hey all,

So I just got done doing a HG job on my 4 runner, thread here :

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...elcome-197679/

So I replaced:

- Head (new engnbldr stock head, with new valvetrain)
- Cam, engnbldr 268
- Head studs (top line from enginebldr)
- All timing components, including Oil pump and water pump
- fuel filter

After finally getting the timing right, I got it to start, but it would run great for about 5 seconds, then sputter and die, so I disconnected the AFM, jumpered the fuel pump, and it fired right up.

.... I let it run for about 5 minutes, the whole time it's billowing out white smoke that definitely smells like cooalnt, but it's running great. So i pull it back in the garage, pull the dipstick, vanilla milkshake. Depressed I drain the coolant went inside and called my dad for advice.

He brought up an excellent point that got me thinking. There was MAJOR mixing of coolant and oil, not just a little bit, not just a small leak. He's got me convinced that I must have gotten a coolant line mixed up with a vaccum line and thinks I just was sucking a ton of coolant through the intake manifold. He does'nt think that there could be that heavy of mixing before the thermostat opens up to let coolant circulate.

So that leads me to a few questions:

1. Are there any coolant lines that connect to the intake manifold? It seems I have 2 connected underneath right now If I remember correctly.

2. Is the metal pipe that connects to the bottom of the intake manifold, and runs along the back of the head and up into the firewall a coolant line? Because there is definitely coolant flowing through there.

While I was reassembling the motor, and filling it with coolant, it was leaking out of a small hose under the manifold, so i plugged it into where i thought it connected, under the intake manifold. Once that leak was solved, i began pouring again, and this time it was leaking out of the drivers side end of the metal pipe that goes around the back of the head.

So are there coolant chambers in the intake manifold? Is it possible that I did make an idiot mistake and connect a coolant hose somewhere on the intake manifold where I shouldn't have?

I'm just really upset that I am finally done, and suddenly back at square one. Also something to note, I torqued the head studs down to 58ft lbs per the service manual, in 4 passes with a new torque wrench. I just read engnbldr recommends 64 ftlbs with the studs he includes. Could that possibly be my problem?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Dig up superbleeders engine rebuild , n look at pics there, see if all yours are hooked up like his. Man i feel ya pain. I did my head last year after I broke a spark plug in #4 cyl. I got through it with Bleeder pics n the fsm. I ended up with a new head because of a crack in stock head. Anyway not sure on what could be up with yours>?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Id just drain it, refill it.. check it then go from there.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 PM

Looking through bleeder's thread as we speak.

also, something i forgot to mention... When I was bolting on the manifold to the new head, the allen bolt wouldnt line up quite right, so i left it out, ate some dinner, came back out and continued working, got everything bolted together and forgot about the allen bolt... could that possibly cause a coolant leak between that coolant passage and air passage separated by that bolt on the intake manifold?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:37 PM

BINGO, loosen up all that again n line up that bolt.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
BINGO, loosen up all that again n line up that bolt.
I was thnking about this though, since the intake mani has nothing to do with the oiling system, if coolant was coming through the intake passage into the cylinder, wouldnt it have to somehow work past the rings to get into the crankcase? Not sure something like that could cause such a big mix. I'm stumped.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 PM

Well get that bolt in, change oil n AF, n see what happens.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
subscribed
Old 02-07-2010, 08:29 AM

initiated
Old 02-07-2010, 08:44 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Teuf
initiated

I think he's past initiation at this point. He passed the crank bolt test and now has this mess......so he's definitely in.

SUPRASB...like I said....stop, step back, look at everything /compare old and new pics....trace hoses and wires, use mirrors .......most of all keep us posted
Old 02-07-2010, 08:56 AM

Are you getting oil in your coolant, or coolant in your oil?

Intake manifold only exchanges coolant, no oil passages. You can get leaks, but not a mixing there.

Looking at your thread, a couple questions. Did you double check with a straight edge that the block/head mating surfaces were flat? You ran a tap down into the head bolt threads? Put sealant on the headgasket in the correct spots? You're sure you got a good seal on the timing cover and put all the bolts back in the correct spots?

If your oil is a milkshake, its quite likely an issue either on the head/block mating, or the timing cover/block mating. Sorry

Do change your oil and see if this repeats before tearing it apart again.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by allnmstkn313
Are you getting oil in your coolant, or coolant in your oil?

Intake manifold only exchanges coolant, no oil passages. You can get leaks, but not a mixing there.

Looking at your thread, a couple questions. Did you double check with a straight edge that the block/head mating surfaces were flat? You ran a tap down into the head bolt threads? Put sealant on the headgasket in the correct spots? You're sure you got a good seal on the timing cover and put all the bolts back in the correct spots?

If your oil is a milkshake, its quite likely an issue either on the head/block mating, or the timing cover/block mating. Sorry

Do change your oil and see if this repeats before tearing it apart again.

I didn't have a straightedge, so I used a household ruler along the block and it seemed flat. I know the head was perfectly straight because it was brand new. I did put sealant in the spots indicated for the headgasket. I also ran a tap through the head bolt holes until they came out clean. As far as i know i got a good seal on the timing cover because it's not leaking externally. I haven't changed my oil yet to see if it still happens but I will try that next i suppose. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Did you check the timing cover for cracks or wear marks from timing chain slap?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Did you check the timing cover for cracks or wear marks from timing chain slap?
Yep, cover looks great. Seems it was replaced by the PO because of that reason.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Update:

Tonight i pulled the valve cover and re-torqued the head bolts to 65 ft lbs, filled it back up with oil and started her up.\

I got excited becuase there was no white smoke for at least 45 seconds, then slowly more and more started to come. I wanted the engine to reach operating temp so I drove it down the road a ways, turned around and came back. When i parked it back into the garage i didn't notice anymore white smoke coming out so i turned it off, and checked the dipstick... but there is still some mixing. Instead of Vanilla milkshake before, kinda looks like chocolate milk. So It got a little better than before but looks like the problem is still there.

At least i finally got to drive it.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:02 PM

Alright, now reflush it again.

Sounds like your problem wasnt another HG leak but remaining coolant in your block.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:41 PM

gotta get more oil but will do another flush tomorrow after work. Man I've wasted like $25 on oil already hahah.

Last edited by suprasb; 02-07-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 AM

man, just put some cheap dino oil to flush er
Old 02-08-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those manifold coolant hoses you mention are for TB heating so it doesn't ice up.

PS, I didn't read your whole thread but I think you mentioned that this was a problem before you did all the work- did you diagnose the original problem to a HG or cracked head or just put the new parts on hoping....?

Last edited by dfarr67; 02-08-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dfarr67
Those manifold coolant hoses you mention are for TB heating so it doesn't ice up.
I don't think so. Those coolant lines that go to the bottom of the TB are for the Idle Air Control Valve. I've never heard of a TB iceing up unless you are in some extreme cold weather.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just finished HG and timing, vanilla milkshake. Help!