Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just did head gasket on 86 4 runner 22RE, Cant seem to get timing/Idle right.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did head gasket on 86 4 runner 22RE, Cant seem to get timing/Idle right.

I adjusted the timing by ear at first. But When I went to go get a timing light The engine would backfire and miss when slowly getting on the throttle. If I punched it, it would run good. But let off and it would backfire loud. I got a timing light Jumpered the 2 wires and timed the engine. When I adjusted the distributor to 5 BTDC The engine would run ruff and almost die. Seemed like it was oly hitting on a few cylinders. But if I turned the distributor way off it would Idle fine but still miss and backfire when Giving it throttle. Does anyone have any idea what I might be missing? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My guess is that your distributor drive gear is off a tooth.

Check out this thread (pic):

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-marks-216514/

This happened to me when I last took apart the front end too this summer - just idled rought, then died. This adjustment did the trick!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 PM

That could be true I played with the distributor for a while after I couldnt even get the engine running right after I got done installing the head. But now that I can start it and it seems to run good when giving it some good throttle. Do you think that the distributor would be off a tooth? I wouldnt think the engine would run at all much less run somewhat good some of the time. I can get the timing to 5 deg BTDC as well. It just does not run worth crap When it is timed right. It hardley wants to idle, But if I adjust it so its somewhere around 12-16 BTDC It idles good. Still backfires though?????
Old 07-24-2010, 07:10 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
when timing it are you using the jump connector or just slapping a timing light on it and setting it that way? if you are jumping the connector is your idle dropping? it should be, if not, either your ecu is not advancing the timing as it should, or your jumper isn't making good contact. It almost sounds as if your 12-16 degrees is with the engine timed right without the jumper installed, but I am not sure as to how much the ecu advances timing after set properly at 5 BTDC

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 07-24-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 AM

Ok Just checked and rechecked the distribuor. I am preaty sure it is on the right tooth. One thing I noticed today was that when I Turn the AC on it seems to idle better? Not sure why that is. Also When hooking up I cant seem to find a connector to plug into the harness It might have not had a connector in it in the first place I just dont remeber. It come from the intake manifold and the connector lays about where the starter is. First Pic. I cant seem to find a plug to go on the left side of that white connector. It is a 2 peice connector and I did get the other side connected. Also When installing the manifold I broke off a coolant temp sensor connector that fits on top of the thermostat housing. Could that at all play an issue? My coolant temp gauge is working though.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 AM

Anybody??
Old 07-30-2010, 05:13 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
i would say coolant temp sensor absolutely can play a role. my truck didn't know what to do with itself as i purged the air out and the sensor was sensing .....nothing.

that pic may be a wee bit too close.....where is that??
Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You're absolutely certain the dizzy drive gear is correct? can you snap a pic for us of that too while you're in there?

And also, you did short out the terminals while doing timing, right?

The fact that crazy advanced timing makes it run fine makes me think it's still your drive gear on the dizzy.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:29 AM

I seem to be having about the same problem in my 94 4runner 22RE.

I just put a new LCE pro long block in it and have only encountered one problem with it. Low idle, like to the point of were I know it's probably hurting the engine. It will normally try to idle about 500 and slowly slip to 250, some times for some reason dropping all the way to 150 with the clutch floored if I break quickly, whats up with that?!

I jumped the jumpers and got code 25, replaced the o2 sensor and it helped the roughness of the idle but not the idle it's self. I've messed with the distributor tot he point of were it HAS to be right, checked the teeth and all that. But for some reason I can't get it on 5 BTDC, it's maxed to one side and I've tried realigning the teeth and adjusting the distributor but it just ends up further away on either side no matter which way I adjust it. Also were it's running at now, which is by the way 8 BTDC, it seem to jump around from time to time between 8 and 10. I know the timing chain isn't off, it's a duel row and the marks are always dead on.

I've been going over it again and again. My best bet is the mass air flow sensor, how ever I did pick up a new coil and the module that sits over it ( what ever it is. ) at a junk yard as my other had a broken wire. Seems to work fine but I want to test both with an ohms meter to make sure their working properly. My brother who owns an 89 tacoma 22R says it might be the throttle position sensor, it could be that but code 25 doesn't list it. I did see what I believe to be a throttle adjustment screw under the throttle linkage, was thinking of messing with it to see if it would help but then again I don't want to mess with it at the same time.

Could also be the engine temp sensor though, it is listed and from what most of what I've read says it makes your truck act weird when it's going out or dead.

Any advice? I honestly don't know what to do other then replace a few more sensors. Also I don't make to much so I can't replace them quickly, would take a month to replace $100 sensor.