Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just Bought a Gen 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just Bought a Gen 2

Many already know me on the Gen 3 forum but I had a gen 1 & 2 previous. My last one was a 95 that was a gr8 4runner just underpowered for what I did with it. So this weekend, I went to an auction looking for a vehicle for my oldest son who seems to have this thing for Honda/Acura. He is currently driving an 89 Legend that is about to fall apart any time. So I decided to see what I could find.

Wearing my toyota hat, the cars started coming through. first up 2009 Camry Hybrid ... not my cup of tea but it was a really good deal, 16k miles $19.500. Then I had checked out this 98 RAV4, 290,000 miles! but was still running so smooth. Really a nice little commuter. I took it as high as I could go at $2400 and it went for $2500. Next up 1990 4runner SR5 Milage was unknown on this as the odometer says 38,300 (yeah right). Interior not too bad, had the look of a well worn 4runner for its age, fluids good, smooth running but this truck is gonna need some work on it to bring it back into the fold. Body is perfect, no dents, dings or rust, paint a tiny bit fades but that will buff up. So I think to self, Self, this is gonna go for around $2k, so when the bid comes around at 500 I bid and when it gets to 1250 I bid and decided that is gonna be all I am goning to bid on this truck.

Once ... twice ... sold for $1250!

So here I am now with another 2nd gen! Some issues I need to look at and would like some input on any and all so jump right in.

-Heater switch is stuck on one speed, low but I think the holder is broken. Need to know easiest way to get the connecting wires off that go to the different vent positions so I can get the switch out.

-No indication of oil pressure. This one had me concerned. Checked the gauge cluster and its hooked up and I did test the A-B pins and it reads 24 ohms (FSM says aproximately 25) Hey, can anyone tell me just exactly where the heck the oil pressure sender/switch is located so I can test the circuit and then determine if it needs replacement.

-Gas cover release broken/missing under dash. I can still pull the flat metal rod and pop open the door, but its split so I just took it off for right now.

-Radio non-existent. The brilliant person who had this before decided to just hack the factory plugs off and splice everything in. Oh, and they also hijacked the speakers from the front. The radio bezel is hacked up too so it needs to be replaced.

-Left rear brake light is on all the time when the lights are on. Think that may be a corroded connection as the lense has a hole punched in it at the top, will need to repair until I can get a replacement.

-Gauge cluster has a cracked cover so need to replace that.

-Sun roof switch ... tested to see if it works ... it opened, but would not close and it had started to rain (at the auction). Found it to be a broken switch as I was able to get the cover off and actuated the contacts with my fingers and it was able to close.

-Rear window ... My 3rd gen spoiled me, all I have to do is open the lift gate to access everything, not anymore! LOL Well as I was at an auction, I had purchased some tools so they need to get loaded in the new Runner. Use the key, window rolls down, open tail gate put tools in close tailgate and turn key to close window ... nothing! fortunately the window rolled up when I activated the center console rear window switch, so the motor is good!

-Left passenger window won't move (at least its closed)

Has a new radiator, oil is nice and clean, tranny fluid smells like it should and is red. No real leaks anywhere that I could see. Will have to get it on base and put it up on the lift to check out the undercarriage. Has Magna Flow exhaust (at least thats what the exhaust tip says.

Went out to a local yard I have not been to in a VERY long time and also seeing how the only 3 4runners they had were 92 and 3-95's I thought I should be able to find most of what I needed.

Here was my shopping list

Gauge cluster face ... check
Sun roof switch ... check
Gas door pul and mount ... check
Heater switch and vent selector assy ... check
Radio bezel ... check
Factory radio wire harness ... check AND a bonus ... after market to factory harness
Factory speakers for the front ... check, but I found a pair of Kenwood's to preplace my missing speakers!
Tail light lense (left side) ... couldn't get windows down so no tail light lense! found a broken amber lense so will try to do a patch job to the original lense.

While I was there I remembered that my '90 had no 3rd brake light, so I got one from one of the '95 with the entire harness so I should be able to hook it up to the brake light circuit. It doesn't match the color but I can paint it! Add to that the 3rd brake light rear spoiler. Will have to sort out the exact location so I have a project to do a write up on.

One last issue I am a bit concerned with is the head gasket. We all know about the issues with the 3.0. I think this has had a blown head gasket as the inside of the oil filler cap has some tan oily residue indicative of the Toyota water/oil milkshake. There doesn't appear to be an other sign of this and the oil is relatively clean (read that recently changed). With a new radiator the coolant is clear and green. No oily sheen. so I cleaned out the residue and after driving it a bit checked and it is only oily looking, no water vapor under there (crossing fingers).

So there you have it, I have a few projects going on this one. My son was rather excited and this will give us a chance to work on it together. He's my oldest and isn't to quick to turn a wrench, not mechanically inclined like his younger sibling so hopefully this will help to keep him from wanting to go over to his buddies and "party" I truely do worry about him and some of his "friends".

Any suggestions or comments are always welcomed! Looks like I have two forums to harass!

So for the most part

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 01-17-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the oil presure sender is next to the oil filter on the engine block
Old 01-17-2010, 06:01 PM

first off; still a bit in a whirlwind over speedreading your post, but good score!!!
1250 for a 90/ very decent!!!! I would say first off, you cant really tell with the head gasket yet; I would do an oil change, and throw in a can of seafoam to clean it all out real good, run it about 100 to 200 miles, then do another oil change, and see what you get, looking closely at the inside.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like a fun project, just keep hitting the wrecking yards and you will eventually find everything you need. Ive been working on my 86 4Runner for a while now and hitting the wrecking yards every other weekend, and ive found just about everything that ive needed to put it back together plus a few upgrades. I still need to do the body work and paint.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by calcuta
the oil presure sender is next to the oil filter on the engine block
Thanks, will be the next item to do. Not knowing the status of the oil pressure just makes me nervous!

Originally Posted by rangerruck
first off; still a bit in a whirlwind over speedreading your post, but good score!!!
1250 for a 90/ very decent!!!! I would say first off, you cant really tell with the head gasket yet; I would do an oil change, and throw in a can of seafoam to clean it all out real good, run it about 100 to 200 miles, then do another oil change, and see what you get, looking closely at the inside.
Interesting advice, but I have heard horror stories about using Seafoam. I plan on taking it to the auto hobby shop here on base and putting it up on a lift to give a once over underneath and change out fluids so the oil change and filter is on the next to-do list. Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3.0L or 22re?

good score
Old 01-17-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
3.0L or 22re?

good score
He said it was a 3.0 in his first post.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 PM

I see now.

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 01-17-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
3.0L or 22re?

good score
3.0 but its not like there was a REALLY big selection! LOL
Old 01-17-2010, 06:48 PM

yeah I see. I read the post 3 times and somehow missed it every time...

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 01-17-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:43 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil, it is normal to get some water build up, especially if the PVC valve is crappy. You oughta see the newer dodge 4.7 motors, all kinds of yellow goopy comes out of the oil due to a crappy Pvc valve design.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:45 AM

the genious of using the seafoam, if you got the guts, in your crankcase is;
if you have some kind of small leaks, or a leak you cant find anywhere in your system, the seafoam-once it supercleans all the junk out of there, is REALLY gonna open up any leaks you may have going on in there!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 AM

Well I picked up a few parts and have begun the "repair" Here is our status. Please feel free to add any comments or suggestions.
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
-Heater switch is stuck on one speed, low but I think the holder is broken. Need to know easiest way to get the connecting wires off that go to the different vent positions so I can get the switch out.
Had a heck of a time getting one out of a another 4runner in the yard, but once I figured out how to free the cables from the mounting, not too bad but still a pain for the cramped space. Removed the old switch and it was fried and I mean FRIED! Literally welded in the slow speed and had melted. Did some minor melt of insulation on the connector but not distorted. Disconnected the switch, checked for continuity, removed the switch. Inspected the mount and the hold down and clips were not damaged so all I needed to do was install the switch. Now it works on all speeds

-No indication of oil pressure. This one had me concerned. Checked the gauge cluster and its hooked up and I did test the A-B pins and it reads 24 ohms (FSM says aproximately 25)
Decided to just pick up a new sender and be done with it. Will do a continuity on the wiring from the sender to the gauge cluster as well. Repair pending

-Gas cover release broken/missing under dash. I can still pull the flat metal rod and pop open the door, but its split so I just took it off for right now.
This one I will J-B weld the door for right now until I can find a door the same color.

-Radio non-existent. The brilliant person who had this before decided to just hack the factory plugs off and splice everything in. Oh, and they also hijacked the speakers from the front. The radio bezel is hacked up too so it needs to be replaced.
Got out the FSM for the '90 and fortunately it has some of the basic wiring diagrams and it did have the radio hook up. Compared wires from the scavenged harness plugs and the '90 harness, they are the same so that made it easy to make the radio harness hookup for the new aftermarket radio and for splicing in the OEM plugs back to the OEM harness. Took some doing but its installed and with the exception of the rear speakers the wire colors all matched up. We now have a working radio. Still have some issues as the power antenna does not work now, but then it was an unknown until we installed a radio. Installed replacement radio bezel and as an added bonus when I installed the base, it was from the '95 which has a storage pocket that the '90 didn't

-Left rear brake light is on all the time when the lights are on. Think that may be a corroded connection as the lense has a hole punched in it at the top, will need to repair until I can get a replacement.
Not too tough of a fix, used some J-B weld quik, first cut out the hole at an angle to give me a square hole to work with, then cut a replacement piece from the piece of tail lense from the yard to fit. Sand, prefit then using small amount of J-B along the edges, press in and let it set up. Sanded the edges and its sealed up again. Cheap fix for an expensive piece at least until I can find an inexpensive replacement. Cleaned the bulb connectors and bulbs wired back up and they work gr8

-Gauge cluster has a cracked cover so need to replace that.
Easy fix on this one, just removed the facia from the donor gauge cluster and snap it right in. Was looking at trying to repain the interior bezel but seems toyota glued the inner bezel to the clear lense, unlike in the Gen 3 which has two seperate pieces that seperate with clips.

-Sun roof switch ... tested to see if it works ... it opened, but would not close and it had started to rain (at the auction). Found it to be a broken switch as I was able to get the cover off and actuated the contacts with my fingers and it was able to close.
This is a pending repair, just not enough time in one weekend to do it all.

-Rear window ... My 3rd gen spoiled me, all I have to do is open the lift gate to access everything, not anymore! LOL Well as I was at an auction, I had purchased some tools so they need to get loaded in the new Runner. Use the key, window rolls down, open tail gate put tools in close tailgate and turn key to close window ... nothing! fortunately the window rolled up when I activated the center console rear window switch, so the motor is good!
Still need to ocate the switch in a runner that isn't all closed up so I can get at the tail gate.

-Left passenger window won't move (at least its closed)
Didn't even start this one yet.

A few other minor issues I noted were during the install of the radio harness connectors, there were a few other wires that had been cut but I have no idea what they go to just yet. Have not noticed anything significant that is affected by the non-connection of these wires, will check more as time permits. May have to get the wiring suppliment book for the '90.

Also replaced the center seat belt in the rear seat as the clip was missing. Found the identical center seat belt in an '89 Camry, same color and part number!

Thanks more to follow

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 04-22-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice find, seems like a good lil project ride...

So where are the pictures???
Old 01-19-2010, 12:06 PM

Hey guys, just picked up a 93 4runner v6 (3VZE) with some possible head gasket issues. Has 157k on it. I payed $1200, the truck is nearly spotless inside & out... clean title, some very minor dings on front passenger fender, etc. Fairly new offroad tires, etc. it was very well taken care of, with no rust anywhere...interior was not spotless, but everything worked.

Questions:

Headgaskets- I am going to tackle this project with my brother. We are both wondering if any of the headgaskets out there for replacing the stock/Toyota type are any better/beefier, and if so which brands were better.

CAMS -
I have heard of Weazy Cams from posts ending around 12/07 on this forum. Since i'm going to have the heads off anyway, i was thinking change the cams out too... from what i could gather Weazy wasn't the cheapest but he knew what he was doing and shipped you everything you needed. He has been inactive on here for a while...does anyone know him or what?

Headers-
I was considering doing Downey Headers. is the ceremic coating worth it? I was also considering eliminating the Cat. Converter and going with a mildly custom exhaust into flowmaster muffler. Any suggestions on the technical aspects and such...

Suspension -
I have heard Rancho's where awesome...i want a little lift, but would rather stability over height gains. I guess what i really want is clearance gains....

Front axle -
Currently stock IFS (wishbone), considering tackling SAS (straight axle) but that would be in a year or two...my offroading isn't extreme enough in my opinion to warrent this work.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:48 PM

go to Px3 auto parts for a thick, juicy, nylon type headgasket; this will keep the heat from the block, away from the head, keeping the airflow cooler.
As for a small lift; i think it has been said many times, the best small lift, is also the cheapest and easiest to do ; just get up to 31 inch tires, put some coil springs in the back, and crank the torsion bars a bit, and that is it.
http://www.px3auto.com/storefrontpro...71&i=134642226
Old 01-19-2010, 09:01 PM

Thanks ranger. Sadly px3 doesn't make anything for the 3.0L v6 3vze engine. They do make them for the typical 4cyl. I'm having a hard time finding any "better" gaskets, head gaskets particularly. I'll email the px3 people and see what they know, etc.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:22 PM

Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL i got the '92 in my Signature for $1250
Old 01-20-2010, 06:05 AM

Wow! did not know that; but I'm sure px3 will know where to get some.

Also to Camo; got any pics of that rig for sale? is that 22r a carb, or fuel inject?

Quick Reply: Just Bought a Gen 2