Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just bought a 94 Runner What Should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just bought a 94 Runner What Should I do?

Just bought a Black 1994 4 Runner V6 SRS5 AUTO 4WD. For $2825.00

183000 Miles. No Rust. Head Gasket Recall done in 1998. Does not leak oil.

Before I bought it I know for sure that in 12/2003 (found the receipt

It had Done

Front CV joints
coolant fluids changed
Trans conditioner
replaced P/S pump
New muffler and tailpipe
-New tires
and whatever this means converter obdII it cost $125.00

It has had just over 20k miles put on it since then.

So Far I have

Steering Rod Recall done.
Oil Change/ Filter with normal oil high mileage type. (Was gonna do Full Syn but I heard that might be a bad idea since its so old, might cause leaks)
Air Filter Change.
Cleaned it up real good.
Sprayed painted frame and hitch black.

Last tank of gas I got almost 250 miles till I was about 1/8 tank left. Does this sound right?

Does this have a gas light?

Things that are wrong.

-Sun Roof glass cracked
-Rear Passenger Window motor is bad
-Front Shocks need replace
-Sag in the rear.
-In the morning after a night of sitting seems like getting into the 4th gear about 50 miles hour takes about 45 seconds for the auto to shift. RPMS hit about 4k then it will finally shift only does this after a night of sitting and only into the last gear.
-In 4WD high turning left on pavement no click turn right and it clicks.
-Dash speaker blown.
-Passenger Fender is Beat up and primer color

Anything I should do as far as upkeep? Spark Plugs, Wires, O2 Sensors?

Any Recommends on getting replacement parts? Been looking at Old Man Emu Shocks Springs Ball Joint Spacers.

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by element2050; 06-14-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:15 PM

That OBDII thing is the type of system your motor uses for engine codes. Sounds like they put something in there that allows you to read your OBDI engine with an OBDII scanner (the one all the auto parts stores offer scanning for).

Personally if I was you I'd get the truck up to spec as far as all the little minor flaws goes. Even convert it over to crank windows personally. That truck would look great with BJ spacers, 2.5-3" aal to fix your sag, 1" body lift, and some 33x10.50 MT's. I would definatly save for the 4.88's (or is it 5.29's with an auto?) to regear from the start or it will be a dog and your mileage will blow.

After that your on to bumpers, sliders, skidplate, and a winch and you have yourself a nice little weekend warrior trail truck.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stomis
That OBDII thing is the type of system your motor uses for engine codes. Sounds like they put something in there that allows you to read your OBDI engine with an OBDII scanner (the one all the auto parts stores offer scanning for).

Body lift for a Auto? Do they make one for Auto? Thanks!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:18 PM

Hmmms idk you should be able to find it somewhere. Roger Brown is the man to ask on the subject.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

www.4crawler.com

lee
Old 06-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$2850!?!?!? 250 miles on a tank of gas!?!? sheesh. where was this when i was in the market? i payed 3500 for a deluxe xtra cab (90) with 181k and dropped a grand more into it and counting. i can only go about 225 on a tank (im assuming that you have V6 auto?). i have the same. you got a deal. just get the body done, do plugs, wires, fuel filter, and examine the PCV valve and o2 sensors. replace them if necessary. but, do the timing belt if you can't find proof that it was done before. you lose that and you got some bigger fish to fry.

i would personally keep all the power options. just replace that motor in the rear door. if the sun roof doesnt leak, dont worry about it unless it bothers you. buy the shocks, unless you are gonna do a suspension lift. do all four. you can get 4 good ones for around 200. sag is an easy fix, just do a site search, you will find many solutions.

speaker is but a few bucks, about 10-15 minutes will suffice to fix it. No gas light on these hogs. i have personally not dealt with the man, but i have heard nothing but good about Corey over at http://www.toyotafiberglass.com. that will solve the fender issue.

i wouldnt worry about the transmission. its a dog and will always be. i hate mine and am planning on doing a swap sometime in the next year to a manual. as far as the four wheel drive click, i do not know. i wouldnt imagine its anything too serious, but maybe it is. one of these guys may know. if they dont and you cant figure it out, take it to your mechanic, they should be able to diagnose it for you.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:57 PM

sounds like you got a great deal--and don't worry about the way the transmission shifts,I think they have a temperature sensor built into them somewhere that won't let it shift into overdrive until it reaches a certain temp (for some reason I think it's around 155 degrees??). My last one did the same thing--thought something was wrong with it, too. Anyway, congrats, and welcome aboard.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:01 PM

gas light comes on when you hit two gallons left in the tank.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by curly_c
gas light comes on when you hit two gallons left in the tank.
not on mine. when it comes on i'd better find a pump quick.....

nice find on the runner. just drive it. take care of it as it needs!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:24 PM

SAS that beast. Or gear it, locker it, lift it, armor it, then make it purddy. That'd be my order of operations.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:36 PM

If you really want to see the gas light I use to find a pretty steep slope and put the nose of my truck towards the bottom of the slope. (When it was getting low on gas).
Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wait, these things had gas lights???? is it only the runners or did the trucks have them as well?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 PM

according to personal experience and my manual. the gas light comes on with 2 gallons left in a 17 gallon tank. some might be different. i know mine comes on more when im going uphill with little gas left. ive heard of others coming on while going downhill.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
SAS that beast. Or gear it, locker it, lift it, armor it, then make it purddy. That'd be my order of operations.
I didnt want to say SAS... or at least be the first one...

SAS IT!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

your got a great deal and you're getting pretty good gas mileage.

I'm not sure what you mean here "In 4WD high turning left on pavement no click turn right and it clicks"

but your trans problem the reason it wont shift is because it has to warm up to opperating temp to shift in to overdrive.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:12 AM

first comes first

GET IT LIFTED AND FIX THAT CV!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:51 AM

Old 06-15-2007, 08:20 AM

lol. sounds like a pretty nice truck. i say throw in a beastly new engine, swap out for a hugemongo rear axle and do a sas, then keep liftin till u can fit 38's in there.

(might wanna regear with the bigger tires.) hehehe.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The delay in shifting is normal. The A340H transmission will not shift into OD and the torque converter will not lockup until the engine coolant reaches a temperature of 70 degrees C (158 degrees F). The logical explanation of why Toyota built it that way is so the engine doesn't strain until it warms up. After your engine temp guage gets to normal operating point, your tranny should shift just fine.

As far as clicking in 4WD on pavement, you shouldn't be in 4WD on pavement. There is no center differential in your truck, so you're straining your drivetrain when you turn in 4WD on pavement. In 4WD on your truck (no center diff), your front wheels need to turn at the same speed as your rear wheels. Driving straight is no problem, but when you turn, your front wheels must travel further than your rear wheels, which means your front wheels must turn faster than your rear wheels, which can't happen when you're in 4WD on pavement.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 06-15-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Picture

Originally Posted by 4Runner92sr5

Two days ago I bought Old Man Emu Shocks and Coils and SDIO Ball Joint Spacers! Can't Wait to get them on.

Last edited by element2050; 06-23-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 94 Runner What Should I do?