Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

JDM engine swap, transfer case different???

Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM engine swap, transfer case different???

Hi there toyota world. I just bought this new JDM engine and transmission. it is going in my 91 runner, but after looking at the transfer case, I notice the JDM one looks way different... They are both 3vze engines, and the transmissions look identical, but what the ??? the transfer cases are way different!! the new one has some extra electronic crap on it, and I have no idea what it is.

I have scowered the web for a picture of a transfer case that looks like this JDM one but I cant find any. Please let me know if I will be able to install this in my 4runner, or if you know what the difference is!

Heres the new JDM one with the extra electronic stuff:

heres my old one:

any insight will be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why don't you use yor original trans/transfer case?
you are doing an engine exchange not a swap btw.

Last edited by donomite49; 01-10-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49
why don't you use yor original trans/transfer case?
you are doing an engine exchange not a swap btw.
I could use my original T-case. It just has high mileage on it and the new one has low mileage.

sorry about the incorrect terminology.. I am exchanging my engine with a JDM engine/tranny/transfer case.

It would be awesome if I could use the new transfer case, as the JDM engine did come with the JDM ecu...

I cant find a pic of a transfer case like this ANYWHERE!!!

nobody knows what the electronic unit is? I'm thinking it may be some sort of AWD mechanism...
Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 PM

Does it have three shift positions, ie 2h 4h 4l. I wonder if it's a full time 4wd transfer, it should only have two shift positions, 4h 4l if it was. That could be a differential lock? I really have no idea though.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by brianh699
Does it have three shift positions, ie 2h 4h 4l. I wonder if it's a full time 4wd transfer, it should only have two shift positions, 4h 4l if it was. That could be a differential lock? I really have no idea though.
yes it has three shift positions, but its all in one line. front, middle, and back if you know what I mean. my old t-case you move the shifter over and to the right for 4L.

I'm thinking this is some sort of electronic solenoid for AWD...

Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not trying to nitpick big, but do you know what model yota the engine came from?

does it have a shift lever on the TC like our TC's?
have you tried to run the engine numbers at a yota dealership to find info about it?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49
not trying to nitpick big, but do you know what model yota the engine came from?

does it have a shift lever on the TC like our TC's?
have you tried to run the engine numbers at a yota dealership to find info about it?
it's okay, those are both good questions.

The JDM engines have an 8 digit engine number that the U.S. toyota dealerships cannot search for (US is 10 digit).

the shift lever is like our TC's except it seems to only move forward and back. (3 positions)

thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 PM

OK so it appears that this unit is an actuator for an ADD system. can anyone expand on this? I don't know if I can put it in my truck or not... I guess the 4x4 shift knob had a button on it for the ADD system.. (automatic disconnecting differential)
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You scored!!

That is the actuator for the center diff lock. It lockes the transfer case so you get 50% power split front and rear. They only came in the 80 series landcruiser, I think. Reguarless, it was a non option for the USA domestic market. The early years it automatically locked when in 4lo, but starting in 93 or 94 they became switch activated to have it in 4hi as well. Get yourself a switch and run that thing. I know a source for CDL switches if needed, let me know. This is what it looks like

What kind of hubs do you have...ADD or manual?

Edit: I was writing my post when you answered...

Last edited by snobdds; 01-10-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
You scored!!

That is the actuator for the center diff lock. It lockes the transfer case so you get 50% power split front and rear. They only came in the 80 series landcruiser, I think. Reguarless, it was a non option for the USA domestic market. The early years it automatically locked when in 4lo, but starting in 93 or 94 they became switch activated to have it in 4hi as well. Get yourself a switch and run that thing. I know a source for CDL switches if needed, let me know. This is what it looks like

What kind of hubs do you have...ADD or manual?

Edit: I was writing my post when you answered...

:bowd own:

thank you !!!!

yes I would love to know where to get a switch, and I'm sure I'll have to figure out how to power the whole system since I can't use the JDM wiring harness, and my harness has no setup for this... So I will need help!!!

I have ADD hubs...

just to confirm: I can figure out a way to use this setup on my 4runner??
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 PM

I don't think that is right...

Did the shifter come with the t-case? If so, is there a button on the side of it?

To me that looks like a shift on the fly VF2 t-case, there would be a button on the shift lever that will kick it in and out of 4wd and the shift lever itself actuates the hi-low.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM

Edit:

I am going to confirm...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...er-case-2.html

See post #30

It looks like a diff lock actuator ...but I will do some checking tomorrow. I want to know know.

Last edited by snobdds; 01-10-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
Edit:

I am going to confirm...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...er-case-2.html

See post #30

It looks like a diff lock actuator.
Informative post, but the transfer case they are showing is different... Wish I could get a part number, but I think it's not a US domestic part like you said earlier...
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM

That is definitely not a Land Cruiser t-case.

Here are pics of a VF2 electric shift t-case we got in from Australia, it looks pretty dang close to what you are asking about.

Check out the shift rail, single motion forward and back. This shifts the hi & low and as mentioned before there is a button on the side of the shifter knob that shifts 2wd to 4wd.
Attached Thumbnails JDM engine swap, transfer case different???-mini-img_6233.jpg   JDM engine swap, transfer case different???-mini-img_6236.jpg   JDM engine swap, transfer case different???-mini-img_6234.jpg  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tech Tim
That is definitely not a Land Cruiser t-case.

Here are pics of a VF2 electric shift t-case we got in from Australia, it looks pretty dang close to what you are asking about.

Check out the shift rail, single motion forward and back. This shifts the hi & low and as mentioned before there is a button on the side of the shifter knob that shifts 2wd to 4wd.
That is definitely it! So will I be able to hook this up and engage it into 4wd? My wiring harness is not set up to do so, and I do not have the shift knob with the button...
Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 AM

Yea, the landcruiser case was only intended to be used as an example due to that was the only T-case that also has a diff lock actuator that I know of. The t-case that comes behind a JDM 3VZ and a landcruiser should be different in both size and shape, but the diff lock actuator should be fairly close though...which there are some similarities.

The weird thing though, I can't seem to find anything where Toyota mated a 3VZ to either a tcase that is electronic shift or one that came with a center diff lock set-up.

Sorry...good luck. Update this thread when you find out for sure...
Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Alright thanks... I would love to be able to use the new tcase but it's looking like I won't be able to wire it correctly. If you guys find anything about using these electronic tcases let me know.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM

The main give-away that is doesn't have a CLD is the single hi-lo shift rail. There is no way to shift 2wd to 4wd except the electric motor on the back of the t-case.

The second give-away is that the actuator on the HF2 Land Cruiser CLD t-case is on the top on of the drop section, not on the back of the case.

The last tell-tale that it isn't CLD is the width at the drop portion. A center diff lock would be down in that portion of the t-case and what is shown is too narrow to contain a center diff lock.

We got our t-case as a package deal that came with a 1KZ-TE diesel engine and another oddity, a A340 auto trans that has the newer Tacoma style LH drop bolt pattern, but it is a RH drop t-case. Both Marlin and Inchworm said they hadn't seen one like that before, but they must exist, we have one. Supposedly the drivetrain came out of a 1993 Toyota, we don't know if it was pick-up or 4Runner for sure, but the evidence we could find, point towards a 4Runner.

To the OP, we couldn't find a decent wiring diagram to help us sort out the wires and the guy wanted to eventually run dual cases, so we did an Inchworm adapter and swapped in a gear drive t-case.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I believe Sequoias had the AWD center diff option. Tranny was designated A341F and was available domestically from 01-04 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_...smission#A341F ) Sure wish I could get me hands on one of those (wanna sell yours?). But for your purposes, perhaps it could make finding EWDs easier?

EDIT: I'm serious. I have an A340F sitting in my driveway. If what you have is indeed an A341F, I'll do a straight up trade: your t-case and tail housing for mine.

Last edited by Zelephant; 01-11-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by big1000
I could use my original T-case. It just has high mileage on it and the new one has low mileage.

sorry about the incorrect terminology.. I am exchanging my engine with a JDM engine/tranny/transfer case.

It would be awesome if I could use the new transfer case, as the JDM engine did come with the JDM ecu...

I cant find a pic of a transfer case like this ANYWHERE!!!

nobody knows what the electronic unit is? I'm thinking it may be some sort of AWD mechanism...

you mentioned "I could use my original T-case". are you needing to swap your transmission at the same time as your motor?

if you're hoping to swap your original transfer onto the trans that came with you're jdm motor, you're in for a fairly in depth job. to remove your original transfer case off your're a340h, you have to strip the trans to seperate it from the transfer. not sure if you knew that, just thought i'd make sure.

if there's nothing wrong with you're current trans/transfer, it will be MUCH easier just to swap the motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JDM engine swap, transfer case different???