Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Jagger's Build.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jagger's Build.

After the search for 3 months i've finally found one. Sunday morning i am off to get an '88 (***Turns out its an '87!! No emissions test for me!***) 4 runner! It's got the 22re with 5 speed, never owned a yota but have read up on them for ages.
Over a couple years i've been collecting parts i find for a good deal, so i should hopefully be throwing them on as soon as i get it up to par and on the road!

Ill start off with pictures of it, isn't the prettiest but i am getting a good deal. Rear window is stuck down, which is apperently a usual problem.

Name:  9_zpsef79249d.png
Views: 94
Size:  613.5 KB

Everythings on the inside!

Name:  l_zpsadeb42d9.png
Views: 81
Size:  650.0 KB

Name:  4_zpsc5a63651.png
Views: 69
Size:  650.5 KB

Engine looks to be in great condition.

Name:  untitled_zps420f3230.png
Views: 102
Size:  617.2 KB

A little bit of the stuff i have kicking around. B&M t handle (probably use for 4x4 stick until i get twin)

Name:  IMG_20130117_165233_zps2df76daf.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  195.9 KB

Free steering wheel

Name:  samipart-grantwheel.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  346.4 KB

Free cb and mic. Mic was originally from an old regency cb from the 50s, i took the new mic innards and put them in the 50s casing, works good! looks way better IMO.

Name:  samipart-cbradio.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  568.6 KB

Name:  samipart-deathracemic.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  479.4 KB

Found this in a 90s chev, extends to about 20feet, so i could use it anywhere really.

Name:  samipart-extractablelight.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  331.4 KB

Not a cool photo or expensive equiptment but, i have a bunch of these from the old chevs sittin around here, so i may use them. Cb speaker or maybe ad extra speakers.

Name:  samipart-speakers.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  560.0 KB

Also just today i got a deal on some tires. 315/75R16 Sierradial Delts A/T got them for $40. Im still in highschool and currently have a small business so money tends to be very tight. They are at id say 40% tread, not too bad. They will be my road tires, i am picking up some 36" military tires and correct bolt pattern rims for free sometime soon. They are weather cracked but for mud and offroad theyll do the trick!

Name:  sierradial_zps379f8a72.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  57.6 KB

Still have a bunch of other stuff, Aftermarket stereo equiptment (Pioneer subs, and Alpine deck) Not that i really need them but saturday nights turn it up open the door, theres your sound system, good material for a flag pole, etc.

Speaking of the flag pole, if someone needs one i have the best thing and barely costs a thing. Chimney sweeper rods. They have a threaded bottom, you find a bolt that fits and drill one hole in your bumper, then attach the flag with zipties, small rope, or any other way you could think, more pictures will come when i figure out this damn camera.

Last edited by Jagger_MeisterJE; 02-27-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Does that thing run???? Why is the ECU pulled out... bad sign. And where is the brake master cylinder? If it doesn't run you really need to bring a breaker bar and socket and just make sure you can spin turn the crankshaft so you know the engine isn't seized.

Engine should look like this:
Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 PM

Derockus, the reason it does not run is because of the ecu, i can get one for relatively cheap, and it needs the master, he used it on his other truck, but i will forsure check if it will turn.

Correction*** it does infact run when gas is in throttle body, i completely forgot. He had the ecu out to check if it was that, but figured the problem later.

Last edited by Jagger_MeisterJE; 02-21-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 PM

Got some stuff done today!

Im new to toyota's and i didnt realize these were under the ugly leather boots! I was plannin just to buy some cheap ones from summit, but this saves me some time and money!

Name:  Toyota4runner001_zps29f347a5.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  224.0 KB

Got my alpine deck in, was an easy job, i do the electrical for alot of my friends rigs so ive learned to not hate electrical haha, also mounted up the cb!

Name:  Toyota4runner002_zps8f1664ed.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  166.7 KB

Mounted up the shiftknobs!

Name:  Toyota4runner003_zps62ff077e.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  199.6 KB

Side view of the truck, i have taken off the plastic side pieces and running boards, really didn't like em. Willing to sell em if people want em! Right rear is stuffed up there due to left rear being flat. Look at that flex!

Name:  Toyota4runner005_zps3172f6d0.jpg
Size:  195.8 KB

Ant view of it. Exhaust got hung up on the trailer and bent it down, i was going to cut that piece off anyways. I have found a grill for it aswell, PO had it and forgot to give it to me when i got it here.

Name:  Toyota4runner004_zps52a4f7ad.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  162.1 KB
Old 02-27-2013, 01:51 PM

Looks like you need a Zuk Mod (along with a ton of other stuff).
Old 02-28-2013, 04:34 PM

Didn't have much daylight today so i tinkered with a few things, going to start tearing out the carpet to give it a good clean. Tried getting the trailer hitch off, i want one for a little trailer (i know not a tow rig, but handy for a 4wheeler or sled) however the bolts ofcourse are rusted stuck. Id be keeping this one but has rusted through...

Also has any have any experience with taking that stupid heater in the center console out? I haven't searched it yet, but will here soon, thought i might ask. I like the idea of rear seating area heat, but it doesnt work, and the copper lines are all corroded.

Did this today: Was bored and thought it was kinda funny towards those blue truck nuts people put on their bumper.

Name:  Toyota4runner_zps697f1615.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  31.1 KB
Old 03-01-2013, 03:36 PM

Teared up the old carpet today, was nasty stuff. Ive done bad carpets but this was worse. It was soaked all the way through, was originally blue, greyish brown now. Im going to put down bedliner instead of buying new carpet. Alot easier clean up, may end up being a little louder then carpet but ohwell, its worth it.

Fuel pump seems to work alright, but wires to it are cut, i cannot find where they go? they are cut after the first cylindrical connector from the fuel pump. wire colors are white/black and blue/yellow or green cant tell. Coming up with a wiring diagram online didnt help me find the location of the other side to these wires.

Finally figured out how to get that awful rear heater out, that thing was leaking all over the place when i tried turning it on. Would spit and spudder and make noises when it was turning so i just got rid of it. I assume it would be hard to find another one to replace it anyways.

Seeing how it is an 87 and no etest is required, i had the thought of switching to carb, mainly because it's easy to work on, but i guess for now ill stick with efi.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The EFI is actually easy to work on. To get the backglass up, you can run some wires rght off of the battery and get it up. Here is some links to the backglass. It isnt near as bad either once you do some studying up on it. I ran a ground wire to bypass all of the safetys on mine and life is so much better. Link>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51722787 Post below has some info as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 AM

Hey Terry, i think im going to stick with the efi anyways. It works as far as i know, and im planning to drop another motor into it in the near future anyways, so i wont go far with this engine. As far as the rear window goes, i got it with a mess of wires out back there... Its missing the key switch for the tailgate, and a few other bits. Im about to head out and test all the little motors and stuff with my tester battery, ill post up how it goes. Im not sure whether you need rear wiper and defrost to pass safety here in ontario, so if they dont work im going to try my idea for a new back window. (flip style like truck cap)
Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Got some stuff done today. Pulled out some sketchy wiring the original owner did... Nest of wires out back. I am going to run my own lines for the rear wiper and defrost, and not have to deal with the original harness... Well whats left.

Brought out my tester battery, in other words motorcycle battery with two wires haha Tested out everything to make sure. Popped off the fuel pump inspection plate, fuel pump works great, still having issues finding where the wires for it go... Tested my window motor, works, but it seems to be slow and gunky, so ill clean it up and see what happens, wiper motor works! Need to glue the little plastic connector for the arm back together as it is broken. The wiper fluid bag thing works, but i am thinking of doing something different to clean it up a little. Will more then likely be selling the bag if someone wants it! Works good to my surprise. Im not sure on the defrost though, i assume it would be hard for a defroster to malfunction. There were no wires present for it out back, but the connection points were good and clean so it should be alright.

My ignition switch is pooched, im thinking about running a 2 position key switch i have, came off an old '75 honda cb125 i had. Honda made tons of bikes with the same key pattern so ill ebay later for a couple backup keys.

The 2 position key will turn on to the accessory then beside it you flip a toggle to act as the "run" position, then a push button for the starter. Makes it cooler to start!

Had the idea of taking the rear cap headliner out to put my flag up there, DO NOT do that, i have to go buy some glue to get it to hold up there... Bad desicion but hey only way to figure out.

Sorry for the lack of pictures everyone! Im bad for taking one picture then forgetting to take more throughout. Ill get on that.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:52 PM

Was bored so i wanted to come up with a name for the rig...

ShineRunner! Even made a new badge Its just vinyl i had lyin around

Name:  Toyota4runner008_zpsf3789a39.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  52.2 KB

Last edited by Jagger_MeisterJE; 03-02-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Just an FYI. if it runs with gas in the throttle body but will not start there is a possibility that it has a bad ECU ground. You can take a test lite and probe the power wire to the injectors. While cranking the engine it should start to flash, this verifies if it has injector pulse from the ECM.

I have had a couple of 22re engines that were towed in with new computers and they would not start. Cleaning the grounds made it come alive. One I could not get the voltage drop across the ground right no matter how well I cleaned it, so I made 2 ground wires and ran an aux ground to the location and fixed it.

The ground wires for the ECM are on the little bundle of grounds on the intake manifold. I am sure you are not tearing into that part yet, but maybe it will help when the time comes.

Have fun with it, I just picked up an 89 for dirt cheap and getting it going. Just got home from putting lower ball joints in it, and a rear U-Joint. Rides like a dream now!

Dave

ETA: Oh and before you shotgun replace the computer, you can test the ground by clipping a jumper cable to it and then to the negative side of the battery. Also when testing electrical get some T-Pins! They can be found at fabric stores or office supply stores. Walmart, Office max ect. (Not sure if you have them up north) It will allow you to stick them into the back side of the connector past the weather seal, this is called back probing. It will keep you from having to pierce the wire, and in corrosion area's this is a must. Also a decent multimeter is a must, Google "Voltage Drop Testing". this will put you well ahead of the curve and you will be able to test any circuit live, and pinpoint the problem quick.

Last edited by stanprophet; 03-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:12 PM

Thanks stan! as far as i know the ecu is working fine. The wires to the fuel pump were corroded as hell and broken off somewhere down the line, i just cant find where the wires came from haha. They broke right after the plug from the fuel pump. But tomorrow ill go clean up the ground for the ecu, better safe then sorry right?!

On another note, i've noticed my pictures are a tad on the large side... Im using a cellphone camera which could be the case, any way of making them smaller? i dont think there is an option from photobucket, which is what i use. Ill try it on a picture from my desktop in the "properties" tab maybe. Not the best with computers in this situation!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:59 PM

Load your pics on the computer, then open it with mspaint. You should be able to downsize them in a % format. For my phone, I usually down them ~75-50% for a nice message board size lol.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 AM

Can't do too much today, it's freezing! Now if someone would clean out one of the 2 door garages around here id have a warm place to work...

Anyways i snapped a few photos of it.

The unhappy front end... PO is droppin off the grill today!

Name:  Toyota4runner014_zpse20d6cd1.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  59.0 KB

This is what i mean by dont pull the headliner down... I dunno how im going to get any glue to stick to that... You can see what i did with the headliner though!

Name:  Toyota4runner015_zpsa6db37ed.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  56.0 KB

All that greasy ass carpet is out:

Name:  Toyota4runner016_zpsa92e5366.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  54.3 KB

Unneeded picture of the dash, but i like my set up, t-handle, CB and deck, got some subs to put in aswell.

Name:  Toyota4runner017_zps8d057794.jpg
Size:  71.2 KB

Now heres something i gotta find some room for! Not sure where, i could put them out back but i have other plans for there, maybe the side walls?

Name:  Toyota4runner018_zps8225bb3b.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  94.0 KB
Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM

Didn't have time for the truck today sadly, but i did alot more planning, drawing. Still unsuccessful to find a wiring diagram for the ignition switch, theyre either poorly drawn, or drawn alright but next to no labeling.

Youd be amazed what you find cleaning up around your place, i found this little bits and ends in a box. At the bottom there is a 3 clip thing. Not sure what i could use it for but its pretty cool. Along with a few hinges i plan to use for a storage box.

Name:  Toyota4runner020_zps2557cfa6.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  139.9 KB

And to my amazement!.... I dont have to buy undercoat for my floor now! Bonus!

Name:  Toyota4runner019_zpsf660f5b1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  71.4 KB

Hopefully i get some warm weather coming up, it's been chilly. Wanna get stuff done!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Is your rig running?
I like the patina on the fender wells. lol
Are you sure your not overdoing the jagermiester? JK
Looks like your having fun with this project.
Keep it up man.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 PM

Here is the starting circuit. I will see what else I can get you. BRB
Attached Thumbnails Jagger's Build.-ignition.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 04:48 PM

Here is the Grid Wiring diagram showing the ignition switch. Each section will show what color wire is energized by each position of the switch.
Attached Thumbnails Jagger's Build.-grid.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Why are you wiring In a Honda bike ignition? A new ignition switch is $36 if that's the issue. Gonna be hard to resell a hacked up ignition truck. Just a thought

Quick Reply: Jagger's Build.