86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

It's a sad day.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a sad day.....

So yesterday I had an accident, I'm afraid it could be totaled. If not what do you guys think a hood, quarter panel, bumper would cost? Upgrades I could do to make a bad situation better? I only had liability so I'll have to pay out of pocket. It's a sad sad day.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrdman
Upgrades I could do to make a bad situation better?
Upgrade your insurance. Problem solved.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:52 PM

I know exactly how you feel, same situation with my 4runner. I am so glad I fixed it though. Maybe look into a newer year model front clip swap, I did. I lost some of the classic look but I also lost the sealed beams
Old 10-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Oo. Looks like you will need:

Passender side fender - $60
Hood - $50
rad support - $80 or so
Bumper - $40
Headlight - $10
grill $20
Side marker light. $15
Old 10-15-2008, 05:02 PM

ouch.. been there once my self.. except i rolled my 85 pickup at about 50mph headin to work one morning.. i also just had liability at the time (what was worse is that i had just talked to my dad about upgrading to full coverage after the end of the month) and had just finished doing all the body work to the bedsides and had it all primed and ready for paint. i guess if i were you id start hittin junkyards up to find some parts, even check craigslist to see if anyone is parting anything out. your core support looks like it could be damaged to.. there really not to bad to replace.. just takes time and patience.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 PM

I've repaired much worse. I have had to tug the frame horn a bit, and have 'em double checked on a frame machine, but it's not too bad. Also, it's a good idea to check around for a halfway decent body (blown motor or none at all even) for sale cheap. Even a rear ender that has been totaled out, and not only could you get all of your front end parts, but even some other goodies you might need or be able to sell off to recoup some costs!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:35 PM

Fixable.

Find a good parts truck, and slap it on, bend it back and weld a little if you ahve to then go to macco and get a cheap paint job. If you can't find good replacement parts go to certifit, new fender is $60.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:43 PM

Get some fiberglass parts
Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 PM

Been there with the "would have been totalled" and "only had liability" situation last year.

Mine was a little worse than yours in that I needed to cut off a radiator/body mount and replace it in addition to the body panels and radiator supports. Also my frame took some tugging and the inner side fender supports needed to be pulled back over. Anything's fixable and you can bring it back 10 times better. It sucks and takes time and money but you can look at it as an opportunity I guess... I almost junked mine but I wouldn't have had a truck I was happy with for the cost of repairs. So glad that I didn't. I might still have some of the radiator support pieces I bought but didn't need as mine were repairable. I'll check, if I do you can have them for shipping cost.

Last edited by Beaniam; 10-15-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by 86Toyrunna
ouch.. been there once my self.. except i rolled my 85 pickup at about 50mph headin to work one morning.. i also just had liability at the time (what was worse is that i had just talked to my dad about upgrading to full coverage after the end of the month) and had just finished doing all the body work to the bedsides and had it all primed and ready for paint. i guess if i were you id start hittin junkyards up to find some parts, even check craigslist to see if anyone is parting anything out. your core support looks like it could be damaged to.. there really not to bad to replace.. just takes time and patience.
Yeah in the past year I have changed the headgaskets, timing belt, ignition module, plugs, distributor, wires, brake rotors, calipers, drums, cylinders, drum springs, just put new tires, starter, fuel filter.......the core support is damaged and the radiator is pushed in far enough for the fan to be hitting the pulleys. where do I need to look for hidden damage that might cause it to be economically unfixable (engine supports, transmission frame?) are these repairs something I can do with out a welder, we recently moved and I don't have a "shop" anymore, just a driveway.....I am more encouraged seeing all of the posts, thanks to all for the advice...
Old 10-16-2008, 06:01 AM

I got rearended at a stoplight by a yeahoo talking on a cell phone. At the time, I had full insurance coverage. When I got a repair estimate, I discovered that the body shops were going to fix the damage using used parts. I was told that after a vehicle got so old, repairs are made with used, not new, body parts. The money I paid for comprehensive insurance coverage in two years would have covered the repair bill.
If you have the ability to buy and install used body parts, like many of the posters have stated, you can be back on the road with a little effort and a moderate amount of cash.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Oo. Looks like you will need:

Passender side fender - $60
Hood - $50
rad support - $80 or so
Bumper - $40
Headlight - $10
grill $20
Side marker light. $15
Is there anywhere in particular you got these prices or just ballpark at the pick and pull? Here's some more pics, body shop wanted 2500 dollars to fix...no way, guess I'm going to do it myself.

You can see the full size images here http://www.flickr.com/photos/3002747...094401/detail/

Last edited by jbyrdman; 10-22-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:31 PM

Cut off the whole front-end and tube it! HA, just kidding. From the photos, it looks like you hit just hard enough to smoosh the front but not bend the frame (i hope). Just lay under the truck with a BRIGHT light and look for any tweaks in the frame/mounts etc. I had minimal tools and had no experience when I did my front end that I smashed. It's just a matter of patience and leverage. A bottle jack and gentle heat works great for the first couple of steps to get the headlight mount going in the right direction. Or cut off the bent stuff, buy some new stuff and have a mobile welder come out and tac it on for ya.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:34 PM

Beaniam--- nice re-build, clean!
Old 10-22-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Little hijack here.

Aubs you got any pics of that demon in your avatar? Talk about a rolling cage!!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have everything you need to fix it less a fender, if you are interested. my bumper is pitted a little, but still intact. the vehicle is going for parts and I can cut off anything you want!

click the link in my sig for the specs or PM me if you are interested!

and def. rebuild it! You won't be sorry. I rolled my old 90 back in the day and we just junked it. I regret, deeply, that decision to this day...
Old 10-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jbyrdman
Is there anywhere in particular you got these prices or just ballpark at the pick and pull? Here's some more pics, body shop wanted 2500 dollars to fix...no way, guess I'm going to do it myself.

No, I dont have actual links to this. But these are the average prices for used/aftermarket parts I have seen online.

I did this to my truck right when I got it... Not as bad as yours, but I had never done any repair like that before.. Very easy!!

Last edited by Jay351; 11-06-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:13 AM

So I got my truck back from the shop Monday,(had to get the frame pulled) and have been driving evreyday since then. This morning I was going down the road and it dies. I pull over and it acts like it's not getting a spark/fuel then starts after a few tries. Drive another couple miles and the same thing except this time it takes about 30 minutes, i checked all the fuses, plug wires distributor, still won't start. Then i pull the plugs on the igntion coil/ignitor and the look ok so I plug them back up and it starts on the first turn. Drove the remaining 8 miles to work no problem. I figured I was going to have some gremlins released after the wreck. Any ideas what this one might be? (The ignitor is about 3 months old).
Old 11-06-2008, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like your underhood fuse/relay box got dislodged during the wreck. I'd start there making sure nothing is loose.

You also describe what my truck did before the fuel pump went out. When it dies does it sputter and die or act like the key was turned off?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 AM

is there a fuel pump reset switch i know a couple of my cars have had them and sometimes they need to be hit after an accident

Quick Reply: It's a sad day.....