Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Intro/Advice

Old 01-28-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intro/Advice

Hello all,

I've been a lurker for quite some time. Previously, my wife and I had a '95 4Runner w/ the V6 and an auto in. Never got too much into modifying the rig, so I mostly lurked here on YotaTech just to learn about DIY fixes and so on. Currently, I find myself stationed at Fort Campbell considering the purchase of an '89 4Runner. It's a burly little rig with a rebuilt 22RE and a 5 speed in it. But it sure is ugly. And it has a lot of rust on the fenders and rocker panels. The previous, previous owner apparently filled in some of the rust gaps with some sort of foam filler. Like the foam filler you would use to fill-in gaps in brickwork or something.

Asking price is $1600. I'll post some photos for everyone to see. I'm no bodywork guru, so I'd appreciate any input you guys could give me on this rig. Should I run away from it? Or give it a chance? The drivetrain seemed pretty stout.

Here's the photos:

regards,
Joel
Old 01-28-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech!

Myself, I think I would have to pass on that one for $1,600.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:01 PM

That bad, huh? The frame appeared to be rust free at least...
Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
JSimmons....
1st of all welcome to YOTATECH!!

If I had $1600 I would grab that. The interior looks like crud, but so did our's and it cleaned up nice. Fenders can be replaced, holes can be patched or new sheet metal placed. those back pieces above the wheels can be accessed from inside the truck easily, not so much on the areas just behind the doors. Looks like those running boards are integrated with the fender flares....don't like them and it's yet another area for crap to accumulate and cause rust and would be 1st oln my list to remove.

Anyway, the 22re is the more desireable engine, and I have one and wish our 4runner had one instead of the 3vze.

My son paid $1200 for an '88 with 248,000 miles on it and needing engine work....and body work..........but after refurbing the body and interior, it's awesome but still needs engine work done.

Offer $1300.....but in my opinion, a running, driving, inspected? vehicle that is highly sought after and apparently road worthy for $1600 is a decent deal.....just got some work to do to it afterwards.

GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you could get it for $800 - $1000 then it is a go for sure. He must think he is sittng on a gold mine or something. I like the truck, but get him to come down in price.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you could get it for less than 1000$ then grab it. In my opinion there is no way in hell that rig is worth 1600$ but that's because I have no idea how to do body work. I'd post a pic of my 1500$ runner to show you what kind of shape a vehicle should be in at that price but it would make me seem like a picture whore.

Last edited by Junkers88; 01-28-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:32 PM

If everything is good, the tran and xfer, motor and axles, I woud start around $7-800 and go from there.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:51 PM

Howdy all,

Thanks for the replies! In my gut I'm thinking this would be a fun rig to pick up. I have zero bodywork experience, and if I learned on this rig it's not like I would be damaging a museum piece or anything. Right now, I would really just use it as an around town rig, hunting/fishing rig (if I'm not deployed by the time bass are biting) and so forth. I don't need it to be expedition worthy right now.

The 4WD works great. The owner and I took it up and down a short little trail on his property today. It has Aisin hubs up front, the transfer case shifted smoothly, it drove well on the road at 50 - 55 mph on a country road. Heat works. A/C works. Rear window goes up and down with the center console switch, but not with the key in the back. All the lights, electrics, stereo and CB work. All the locks work. 22RE only has 10,000 miles on it.

Of course, it is UGLY. Dirty too. But, nothing a good auto-enema couldn't take care of.

Personally, I like it. I don't need to take a loan on it or anything. The only thing that gives me the willies is the rust on the rocker panels. If I buy it, I'll probably give it a bath in fish oil or something...

Again, thank you for all of the input and "welcomes" to YotaTech. Please, if anyone else has some input I am all ears.

best regards,
Joel
Old 01-28-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

I'm going to email this to my wife, okay?
Old 01-28-2010, 03:00 PM

JS, maybe I'm a bit more of a sucker for these than the rest of the guys, but I totally fell in love with my son's 88 after we started working on it. To me, it's almost splitting hairs for a few hundred dollars

I think some bondo / wire mesh / undercoating and some flat paint (I'm thinking camo green or tan...or even black) would turn this thing around.

By the way, I NEVER did bodywork before I started working on my truck and then did my son's....proof that you can shine sh_t.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JSimmons
Howdy all,

Thanks for the replies! In my gut I'm thinking this would be a fun rig to pick up. I have zero bodywork experience, and if I learned on this rig it's not like I would be damaging a museum piece or anything. Right now, I would really just use it as an around town rig, hunting/fishing rig (if I'm not deployed by the time bass are biting) and so forth. I don't need it to be expedition worthy right now.

The 4WD works great. The owner and I took it up and down a short little trail on his property today. It has Aisin hubs up front, the transfer case shifted smoothly, it drove well on the road at 50 - 55 miles per hour on a country road. Heat works. A/C works. Rear window goes up and down with the center console switch, but not with the key in the back. All the lights, electrics, stereo and CB work. All the locks work. 22RE only has 10,000 miles on it.

Of course, it is UGLY. Dirty too. But, nothing a good auto-enema couldn't take care of.

Personally, I like it. I don't need to take a loan on it or anything. The only thing that gives me the willies is the rust on the rocker panels. If I buy it, I'll probably give it a bath in fish oil or something...

Again, thank you for all of the input and "welcomes" to YotaTech. Please, if anyone else has some input I am all ears.

best regards,
Joel
Oh! Then I need to retract my statement above. If everything works other than the keyed switch in the tail gate and you are planning on a hunting/fishing rig AND the engine only has 10,000 miles on it then you might be money ahead by buying it (I'd still recommend trying to get the price a little lower though).

If you do get it then pull the dang running boards off, get in touch with Deathcougar here on the forums about a panel for the tailgate and the cover for the wiper motor back there and any other interior parts you need. Clean the interior out with a shampoo machine or something and run with it. Come spring you can start messing with the body work in between bass outings. Oh and make sure and take pictures of the bass..... I haven't caught one in about 7 months.

Welcome to the addiction!!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know what 4wd trucks are going for in your area, but around here, I would pass on that for $1600. Way too much rust for the asking price. The deal with rust is that there's usually ten times more rust hidden away than what's visible.

Also, "rebuilt motor" can mean a lot of different things. I would find out what was done.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
I don't know what 4wd trucks are going for in your area, but around here, I would pass on that for $1600. Way too much rust for the asking price. The deal with rust is that there's usually ten times more rust hidden away than what's visible.
You're right about the rust. That's my big hold-up on this rig.

As far as asking prices for 1st generation 4Runners in mid-Tennessee...in my opinion they are astronomical. Rigs tend to be either run-down hunting trucks like this one, or gleaming examples attempting to recoup the owner's rebuild costs.

I dunno. I'm partially in a jam to get something quicker than I would prefer, just because I'm going to have to return my wife's Subie Outback here in a couple of weeks. I just got moved to Fort Campbell by the Army and we're waiting on a pending deployment before she moves up if you're wondering why I have to "return" her car to her.

So, this little rig definitely has some serious hang-ups as far as the body/rust issue goes.

mahalos,
Joel
Old 01-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to Yotatech Joel!

Seems a bit much for that rig to me. A guy just sold an 84 around here for $2200 and it was rust free. Try to get it for 1300-1400 either way good luck and have fun with it.

And thanks for serving! You guys are all hero's.

Kirk
Old 01-28-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might just keep an eye on craigslist and ebay. I've had good luck finding 4Rs there. Got my first one on ebay for $750 and a second one which I used for parts for $500 from craigslist.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Believe it or not, this is a Craigslist special...
Old 01-28-2010, 04:54 PM

Did you thoroughly check it over for rust? they always rust through at the front s of the rear wheel wells, id remove the carpet just behind the rear seats and check there at the front of the rear wheel well. Also take the little plastic cover off the interior panel at the back and put your hand down into the storage area, it always leaks in there and starts rusting. Also all the floor pans. Maybe if you find more rust you could talk them down I have a week spot for these first gen runners, I have two right now, used to have another one too. Id buy that thing in a second haha I just dropped 4k into my 88 and I dont regret it one bit haha. If you have good power and drive terrain I cant see why you dont alrady own it.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
OOOHHH my GOD !!!!!

wire mesh and bondo !!!!! DONT do it ... replace it with fiberglass ... easy and resonably inexpencive .
easy enough for the do-it-yourselfer

http://www.toyotafiberglass.com/1_4_install.htm

Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
OOOHHH my GOD !!!!!

wire mesh and bondo !!!!! DONT do it ... replace it with fiberglass ... easy and resonably inexpencive .
easy enough for the do-it-yourselfer

http://www.toyotafiberglass.com/1_4_install.htm

SLACKER...you are absolutely right.

I love that site.....but definitely THAT kind of repair is a few levels above me.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Justinvd
If you have good power and drive terrain I cant see why you dont alrady own it.
Now you're just making me feel like an idiot. I'll definitely check for rust in the locations you cited.

I did a search on "replacement fenders" on the site here and found that fiberglass site as well. Good looking stuff there. Doesn't seem out of my abilities.

For some reason, I get this feeling like I'm in a room full of crackheads trying to convince me that it's not that bad.

Joel

Search this Thread