86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior lights, Clinometer installed. *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interior lights, Clinometer installed. *pics*

So I've done some work to my dash since this photo was taken.

I love the green theme (stock) compared to the other alternative which is orange I think most of you have. I havent seen to many yotas with the green lights but i like it a lot.

I installed an aftermarket Temp-gauge after I installed an Sr5 cluster. The temp-gauge in the cluster is fubar and doesnt work, at least it never goes down or up or moves anymore (it did for awhile but now its frozen in place).

Awhile back I got a clinometer from a fellow yota'techer that had stock green bulbs but more importantly, it was the grey vinyl to match my dash that I was so excited about. I've replaced all the bulbs in my dash with aftermarket green ones (you cant find the incandescent bulbs with the green condoms on em anymore, only been able to find tinted green bulbs which is better i think)

Installed the clinometer tonight, wired in the light for the temp-gauge and the clinometer all to with the dash lights (lil tricky finding the ground going to the rheostat but not to hard).

Lil tedious pulling the dash safety pad off and that right vent was a pain but I love the results!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 PM

Schweet! Looks like an airplane cockpit in the dark
Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Nice
Old 07-15-2008, 09:58 PM

This is the stuff I love. I always say if it aint broke then Break it. In other words it can never be perfect and there is always something way cool to be done. I love it. x2 on the cockpit comment.

Pete
Old 07-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks great! I dig the deep green
Old 07-15-2008, 10:43 PM

I would like to my hands on a clinometer.....looks really good. Can ya swap out the bulb in the temp guage to match.....?

Last edited by a4runnerfreak; 07-15-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
I would like to my hands on a clinometer.....looks really good. Can ya swap out the bulb in the tach to match.....?
not sure what you mean? Are you talking about my rig or yours? Cuz in mine it all matches =p The color variations in the photo is just the camera, it has a hard time seeing at night. The CB is actually the same shade of green as everything else to, like in the first (older) picture in the post, different cameras.

Theres three bulbs that light up the SR5 cluster and two behind the clinometer.

Just toss in green ones in there.

Maybe your refering to the Temp-gauge? That is a different kind of bulb and i havent found green sleeves or a tinted variety of that type of bulb, so for now its just plain incandescent but it doesnt bug me.

Last edited by drew303; 07-15-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 PM

I was talking 'bout the temp guage, sorry, didn't edit my last reply quick enuff....
Old 07-16-2008, 08:43 AM

Looks real nice. If you have an Autozone check there for those bulbs. Every one where I live has them. Do you know of any write ups or something like that for the SR5 gauge swap? How hard was it?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by GLT-4-6
Looks real nice. If you have an Autozone check there for those bulbs. Every one where I live has them. Do you know of any write ups or something like that for the SR5 gauge swap? How hard was it?
The SR5 gauges use the same connector as your factory set. You just have to rip it all apart.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Snotrocket
The SR5 gauges use the same connector as your factory set. You just have to rip it all apart.
And mess with it a little if it came out of a v6 for the tach to work right. And change the oil pressure sending unit too I think, right?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:44 AM

Find a 4cyl sr5 cluster and I believe there is even a difference between the manual and auto clusters as well.

mine came out of a 4cyl manual which is what i have so it mated up perfect. I effed up the odometer pretty bad tho trying to roll it back to my mileage, doh, but it still works but you have to be me to know how to read it hahah. And for some weird reason the trip meter is slower than the odometer. I didnt mess with anything that should of of effected that.

I do have an autozone which is where i got all the other bulbs. Maybe they were out of stock of the larger incandescent type the temp gauge uses.

You need (well you dont NEED) but if you want the oil pressure gauge to work you need a new sending unit. They're like 30 bucks at the parts store.

and to hook up the tach you just need to run a single wire to the green test plug near the coil. Then plug it into the back of the tach, i forget which slot, i might have pictures of where i hooked it into but cant remember what # slot it was off top of my head.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want a deeper green, I would try the coloured LED's from superbrightleds.com Thats where I got my blue dash lights.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
fyi: if you can't find the green for the temp gauge you added, look for green tinted wrap like they put around easter baskets. y'no what i mean?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
gonna do the just_a_22re ipod mod? (@allan: j/k)
j/k. looks good.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 AM

I was asking because all I have is the basic stock gauges. Speedo, gas, and temp. I was wondering if there is a wiring diagram for the Tach, oil, and volts. I don't want to screw it up.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To the original Poster: Your dash lights look great! I'm wondering where you got those speaker boxes on your door though?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 AM

um yea i think there is a writeup here in the tech section.

its pretty straight forward tho. Unscrew the valance that surrounds the tach, i think theres 6 screws all together. Unscrew the 4 screws holding the cluster in place, go into the engine compartment, and find the speedo cable, unclip it and push it into the firewall. Then you can reach your hand behind the cluster and unclip it from the back

unclip the 3 wire connections.

if you want, rollback or rollforward the new clusters speedo (requires tearing the cluster apart, if your comfortable with doing that go ahead and do it)...

do a google search to find out which slot on the far right connector is the tach hookup cuz i forget, somereason the #6 comes to mind but dont quote me on that i forget. plug a wire into there and run it to the green tester plug next to the coil.

hook the three wire plugs back up and reinstall everything.

go to the parts store and tell em you need a oil pressure sender unit for a 87 sr5 22re

its on the left side of the block (if your looking from the front) down infront of the oil filter, take out the old idiot light sender and screw in the new one, hook up the wire

done.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:29 AM

the speaker boxes were a P.O. addition, I think a local company installed his last stereo system (which was crap) but the speaker boxes work OK

They're solid 1" wood cutout wrapped in fabric, you could easily make em if you had a rotorzip or jigsaw.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Interior lights, Clinometer installed. *pics*