86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior Firewall Insulation

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interior Firewall Insulation

Where to start -- my truck is missing a lot of interior parts. The dash has been taken apart many times before, some stuff has been rewired, trim is missing, and among other things, the interior firewall insulation isn't there (well, neither is the carpet anymore). I am in the process of re-doing the interior and want to find a solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what would be good firewall insulation? Maybe even more precisely, how hot does the firewall get from the internal side? I want to use Reflectix Bubble Insulation (I bought a roll for $15 from Home Depot), which can handle up to 180 degrees fahrenheit. It has great thermal insulation properties and sound deadening as well, and it's cheap, so I guess I want to know if the internal firewall temps get up that high.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say go for it, 180 is pretty warm, and i dont think it gets that hot, or my feet would be burning off...whatever you do make sure it has good sound barier qualities....the quieter the better...
Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never noticed any firewall insulation to speak of on my truck.... except for the jute carpet under pad that is... 180* is plenty warm enough IMO that's pretty close to the stat setting on the rad and no way is it going to get hotter then that in the cab unless you're on fire. Just make sure it's very dry on the fire wall when you install it & scrub off and corrostop/por15 any sign off rust before you glue the bubble foil to the fire wall and all should be well. You'll have a much quieter cab in the end too...
Old 01-28-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't know how to copy a link so you can click on it but:
http://www.dynamat.com/products_auto...roduction.html
it's ridiculous expensive through dynamat.com
if your gonna get dyanmat go to onlinecarstereo.com click on sound dampening on the left column it's waaaay cheaper...i love dynamat
Drew
Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I would imagine that adding some insulation on that firewall would make one heck of a difference in sound. We'll see, I'll post results when I do this.

I would try Dynamat, but it's so friggin expensive still! If I can scratch the money together, maybe.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
our trucks are not quiet...comparibly from todays standards.

theres vents in the rear cabin too, and i don't remember ever seeing insulation on any truck ive cleaned up (3 yotas sofar)...i pulled the dash and carpetting out of all 3..and only 2 got something back in it...

my 88 now has a rubber matting (instead of carpeting, it is not cut to fit, and a major pita on cold days to cut it to fit anything w/a curver )... and new carpetting cut to fit (recomended by me) is only about 125 bucks..

if your engine noise is too loud, get a louder stereo...
my engine is loud at 1st startup, but when it warms up, its not so noticable...

i would rather have sound, then mold to deal with...