Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Intake sticking out through the hood. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Intake sticking out through the hood. Ideas?

I posted a question with these pictures and then realized it was the wrong way to word what I wanted to know.

So. I'm going through the hood with the intake on the 4runner so I can clear a space for the second battery as well as get the intake up a little higher for water crossings and help get some air that isn't heated in the engine compartment.

Question 1) Have any of you done something as silly as this or ever seen it done.

Question 2) Other than me being a little bit of a loon do you think it'll look ok and work well?

I'm having a platform built to mount the AFM on top of the valve cover and will be cutting the hood so the air filter and AFM will stick out a little. Might go with a hood scoop later but am still undecided and yes I know the motor is dirty, that's for tomorrow.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You just wanna be different, or just don't want to do a snorkel? Ah, nevermind, I just re-read your post.....it'll deffntly be different......
Old 05-24-2009, 07:20 PM

seems like it would work pretty good, its a trail truck right? so now worries about water runnin up the hood at speeds? and ide def get an outerwares for the beast if its gonna be right in front
Old 05-25-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope you're kidding.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
...and yes I know the motor is dirty, that's for tomorrow...
don't even talk to me about dirty motors

looks like an intersting idea to say the least

definately different!

I would say get a spare hood to do the fitting with, just in case you don't like it in the end

Old 05-25-2009, 12:29 AM

bad idea. cold air is good but i hope your good at cleaning air filters because thats what your gonna be doing every 20 miles...A cowl type hood might be best...
Old 05-25-2009, 05:34 AM

talk to alan (just a 22re) about an exposed air filter.. his 4runner has a snorkel with a cone filter outside of the engine bay. (the filter is at the top of the snorkel). he'll tell ya about the cleaning of it. id get a scoop if u do that.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:29 AM

The biggest thing I'd be worried about would be mass amounts of vibrations to the AFM mounted directly to the engine. It might be an issue and it might not. I dont know. But i'd keep a close eye on it. I know it always get vibraations in the engine compartment but when mounted away from the engine its usually on rubber isolators that absorb alot of it. But its a neat idea let us know how it works out.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:21 AM

yeah a cowl hood would look pretty sick too,
Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

I have to say that i think it would heat the intake being on top of the engine like that. other than that it would be an interesting idea to play with.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Duelertoyota4x4
The biggest thing I'd be worried about would be mass amounts of vibrations to the AFM mounted directly to the engine. It might be an issue and it might not. I dont know. But i'd keep a close eye on it. I know it always get vibraations in the engine compartment but when mounted away from the engine its usually on rubber isolators that absorb alot of it. But its a neat idea let us know how it works out.

oh yeah, I didn't even think about that the vibrations will probably throw off the reading by moving the flapper door inside
Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Ah, ok. Hmmmmm, since your going to relocate your gas tank anyway were you going to still use the factory one? Project #25 on mine is to relocate the tank, remove the factory one and raise the factory gas tank skid up flush with the frame rails and put my viar compressor and tank and my second battery there. However, if you're keeping the factory tank and going with a dual tank setup then this won't work so much for you!! lol!!

I agree on the motor vibes and would go with a "cowl induction" look.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by neilan
bad idea. cold air is good but i hope your good at cleaning air filters because thats what your gonna be doing every 20 miles...A cowl type hood might be best...
Cold air is only good in some engines.
In ours it is not necessarily good.

Fred
Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 AM

hes not really looking for cold air, hes going to be putting a second battery where his intake currently resides so he has to look for an alternate route ,FYI
Old 05-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

hey yer pictures failed Junk
Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Cold air is only good in some engines.
In ours it is not necessarily good.

Fred
How is that?
Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Picture.

Name:  DSC01899.jpg
Views: 2959
Size:  187.6 KB

Old 05-26-2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Ah, ok. Hmmmmm, since your going to relocate your gas tank anyway were you going to still use the factory one? Project #25 on mine is to relocate the tank, remove the factory one and raise the factory gas tank skid up flush with the frame rails and put my viar compressor and tank and my second battery there. However, if you're keeping the factory tank and going with a dual tank setup then this won't work so much for you!! lol!!

I agree on the motor vibes and would go with a "cowl induction" look.
Are you sure you're not my neighbor in disguise? He said the same thing. I'll be pulling the stock tank and tossing it and installing the Downey replacement cell in the back where the spare used to hang. He crawled under the rig and figures we can build a box to mount the battery in and still have room for the OBA tank. So it looks like sticking the intake up through the hood wasn't such a good idea. I still need to get the damn intake to pull air from outside and a little higher up though.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
hey yer pictures failed Junk
Yeah I tried to use Photobucket to post some pictures of the 86 on Craigslist and CL and PB got into an argument with the end result being all of my pictures got shuffled around.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Are you sure you're not my neighbor in disguise? He said the same thing. I'll be pulling the stock tank and tossing it and installing the Downey replacement cell in the back where the spare used to hang. He crawled under the rig and figures we can build a box to mount the battery in and still have room for the OBA tank. So it looks like sticking the intake up through the hood wasn't such a good idea. I still need to get the damn intake to pull air from outside and a little higher up though.
lol!! Ah, no! Trust me, I wish my truck was in a drier climate though!! I think we've had a few posts about this before me thinks? I'd think there would be plenty of room for OBA(Viar tank+pump) and a battery box from Summit or the like. I'm really interested in that project!

Quick Reply: Intake sticking out through the hood. Ideas?