86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

intake roar, 22re 89 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
intake roar, 22re 89 4runner

Yes Scuba/Wabbit/Robb I know no pics, didn't happen. I'm working on it.

I got the exhaust leak fixed and man what a difference. I had to adjust the idle by ear (first mod is going to be an SR5 cluster since I HATE not knowing what the motor is doing) since it was really fast. After the leak was fixed it wasn't nearly as high, or maybe I just couldn't hear it as much. I also found the PAIR valve and it's right next to where the Supra mod is going to go so that's an easy install.

Ok when it comes down off of higher idle, like when I goose it a little out of gear, there is a roar from the air box. I opened the box up and there is a bent black tube in the bottom that goes to the outside. Well this tube is about 1/2" from the side of the air box and the roar actually sounds like the airbox is sucking air back from the intake when the idle drops. Can I cut that tube back a few inches? It seems that as close as it is to the wall of the box it wouldn't provide the best possible airflow. I'm hoping I can cut it since I have no idea how long it will take me to find the MAF I need for the conversion.

Oh and the idle seems to take longer to drop once I get off the skinny pedal and I can't remember if the truck (also 22re only it's an 86) was the same way since I've had the Supra MAF in there for a while now. I checked the little dashpot thing and it works well and seems to be functioning properly.

Thanks again all.

And by the way I'm thinking Scuba's new name should be That Guy Who Always Tells Me To Search And Demands Pictures For Proof. Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
is that black tube before or after the air filter?
odds are it's after the air filter in which case it would be the air supply to the PAIR system... which also happens to have a resonator chamber just below the throttle body (looks somewhat like a toilet bowl float), right?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
is that black tube before or after the air filter?
odds are it's after the air filter in which case it would be the air supply to the PAIR system... which also happens to have a resonator chamber just below the throttle body (looks somewhat like a toilet bowl float), right?
Abe it's before the filter and laying in the very bottom of the the airbox. It's the feed from outside.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:35 PM

if it's before the air filter, as in "it's in the bottom of the filter housing" it's the fresh air intake.
should be a tube that goes to the front of the truck, maybe behind the headlight?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:40 PM

if it's before the air filter, as in "it's in the bottom of the filter housing" it's the fresh air intake.
should be a tube that goes to the front of the truck, maybe behind the headlight?
That's the one! My concern is that it's very very close to the side of the box and I'm thinking that the roar I hear is the airbox equalizing air pressure. Can I cut it back a little?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM

The roar you hear is air being sucked through the air box.
some people even bore more holes in the box for more airflow.

if you wanted to add a snorkle, that's where you'd connect it.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
x2 on what Abe is saying

I also heard a noticeably louder (not too much, but a bit) sound coming from the air box when the PAIR valve was open opposed to closed.

As for that little tube in the bottom of the housing, I cut about 2" off the top in my '93 because I thought it would help air flow oh what a stupid 17 year old I was. I was lost without Yotatech
Old 02-25-2009, 04:34 PM

The roar you hear is air being sucked through the air box.
some people even bore more holes in the box for more airflow.

if you wanted to add a snorkle, that's where you'd connect it.
Ok so it's a non issue with regards to air flow. Cool. I'll deal with the noise until I can do my Supra mod.

Thanks again for all the help.