86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intake Manifold Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Manifold Removal

I recently purchased a 92 4Runner with a 3.0 V6 that needed some engine work, but I picked it up pretty cheap (for around here). I have been working on pulling the heads with the engine still in it. I an having some trouble removing the last part of the intake manifold as it does not want to let go of the heads. Are there any pry points on this or should I unbolt the heads to help loosen it up? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Veladarius; 04-23-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:25 AM

I'm having the same problem with my '94. It looks like there are pry points (indents) along the passenger side and also the intake maniford flange overhangs on the passenger side nearest the firewall. I'm reluctant to pry on these until I know for sure that's the right thing to do.

I talked to a Toyota dealer parts man about this. He said to first check that all of the bolts and nuts holding the intake manifold down have been removed. Apparently it is easy to miss one or more of them. He also said the intake manifold, which is aluminum, has a machined surface under where it attaches to the engine. The place where it mates to the engine is also a machined aluminum surface, so it should come right out with little difficulty.

As for me, I'm pretty sure all the nuts and bolts are removed, but I will check again anyhow. I've already used Blaster around the edge of the intake manifold, so I don't know what else to try to get this part out.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The lower intake manifold on mine was stuck on there good. I thought I missed some bolts but it was just stuck. I took an extension and pried up from the bottom, theres a hole between the block and the lower manifold.

Double check to make sure you have everything removed first.

I wouldn't unbolt the heads, just keep prying on it easy, its what I did when I did my headgasket
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by spiderwebbtc
He also said the intake manifold, which is aluminum, has a machined surface under where it attaches to the engine. The place where it mates to the engine is also a machined aluminum surface, so it should come right out with little difficulty.

That's not true. There are two gaskets underneath of it, one on each side, where the intake manifold mates to the heads. They will sometimes come apart when the manifold is removed, and it's not recommended that they be reused.

Why does it not suprise me that you got false information from a Toyota dealer parts man? Because as I've said many times, they're almost all complete and total idiots!

There are 12 bolts, 4 nuts and 4 washers that need to be removed before the intake manifold can be taken off. Make sure you have that many of them out. Then try gently prying on it.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Stripped alan bolt on my lower intake manifold...fuel rail is still on...solutions?

X_x
Old 03-07-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by SlightlyWhat
Stripped alan bolt on my lower intake manifold...fuel rail is still on...solutions?

X_x
Irwin bolt extractor.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFEQ8gIwBg#
Old 03-07-2011, 03:50 PM

I had trouble with mine, I had to remove the #2 timing belt idler pulley to get my lower intake out. It is connected to the front side water outlet.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Grrr.

So I'm pretty sure I have all the bolts out but this thing wont come out...
The two silver tubes (cooling tube? or something right?) that go to the back of the motor I think aren't allowing it come come off. Those bolts are undone too. The one that sits some what in the middle of the lower intake is still stuck on. How did you guys get that off? Do I have to loosen up the tubes in the back or something?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:25 PM

Wiring Harness

What do I need to do to take out the wiring harness through the manifold area? It's just in the way and messy and...yeah...over it.
Not only that but I want to relocate my fuel filter. It would benefit me in so many ways.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by SlightlyWhat
What do I need to do to take out the wiring harness through the manifold area? It's just in the way and messy and...yeah...over it.
Not only that but I want to relocate my fuel filter. It would benefit me in so many ways.
Unplug the points at the transmission, O2 sensor, and transfer case if you have one.