Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intake Manifold Leak maybe? Experts needed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Manifold Leak maybe? Experts needed!

Ok, so my truck has always idled high since i've gotten it, (89 pick up with the 22-r) my first question is, my dad thinks that the 22-r is carbuerated, and the 22-re is fuel injected... is that true or no? because on the head of my motor it says 22-r but its fuel injected. Although, the motor is not original.

Any ways, the truck has always idled high, but today, I took it off roading onto some mild runs near my house today. I ended up going threw some pretty deep puddles, and as I was climbing out of a puddle my truck started to idle extremely high, and it seemed as if my throttle cable was stuck. I do not know the rpm it was at because I dont have a tach, but it was pretty high. By this time the whole truck was billowing white smoke out of the exhaust. I end up shutting the truck off not wanting to over rev the truck.

I end up popping the hood, check the throttle cable, and it is not tight, but its not loose... it was just kind of, there? I look near the intake manifold kind of near the thermostat, and I see antifreeze drippign down onto the lower control arm/front diff. I automatically assumed headgasket, and let it sit there (not running) and continued to help my uncle get his truck unstuck. My truck sat there for about an hour... not being touched, I go to crank it over, and it didn't crank at all... Lights and everything else was functional, but didn't crank at all. I ended up moving the start wires around a little bit, and still nothing. Go help my uncle some more, about an hour later again, I go to try it, and it starts, same symptons as before, white smoke and high revving.

We end up getting the truck home, investigate, and it appears to be the intake manifold gasket leaking, we think theres been silicone placed there to seal it up, but we are not sure, but we can hear a vacuum leak now and it sounds like it is coming from that area, It turns out, the high revving was coming from a stick that had gotten sucked into the throttle. But the truck is still leaking antifreeze from the intake manifold we believe. So just kind of looking for opinions, ideas, thoughts on if you think the intake manifold gasket is a good idea.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take some pics of where its leaking from. If you think your high idle problem is gone (stick you found), fire it up, and take a can of quick-start and spray it around in the intake manifold... if the idle goes up at all you've found your leak.

On the older version of the 22R-E (if that's what you have), there's a valve (on the passenger side) that has antifreeze going to it, and goes to the plenum, it could be leaking from there... take some pics, that's the best way we can help you.