Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

intake and exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake and exhaust question

I have a 90 toyota w/ a 22re. I'm thinking about putting on a header and k&n intake. Is this a good idea for power and fuel milage? and will this cause my engine to get hotter?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
headers keep your engine bay cooler.
good idea

not sure about the k&n, just add it, and see if you like it.

best would be to port match your exhaust side while your adding headers.
im planning them too, as soon as i can afford them
Old 12-02-2007, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

I love my LCE header, but i have never been a fan of K&N. i just think they let too much stuff in to the engine. just my opinion of course.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tortis
<SNIP>
i have never been a fan of K&N. i just think they let too much stuff in to the engine. just my opinion of course.
And the opinion of a lot of others, not to mention that it's fact

Fred
Old 12-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
dont waste your money on K&N. they want a lot of money for little to no gain.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:28 PM

i don't mean to hijack but my exhaust just broke and a shop welded it up for me. Basically this throws me into the market for a header now. I've heard alot about the Thorley Tri-Y headers over on Pirate, and I've heard alot about the LC Engineering headers.

Anyone want to point me to a good choice?

I have to order this monday morning so I can get it installed before I drive home for Xmas break.

And to keep it on topic, stay away from the K&N if you ever offroad on dry dusty roads. A friend of mine did it once and we ended up seeing the entire intake tube that normally is clean (after the filter) looking just as dusty and dirty as the parts not protected by a filter.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

three words. LCE if i don't rob the one off my 87 and put on my 89 truck, i will buy another for the truck. you cannot beat the customer service either.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Assuming you are looking for slight to modest power gains, your modifications should be done in the following order on this engine:

1) Get your engine running in top shape. Make sure the valves are in proper adjustment and it's fully tuned up. New Air filter, plugs, dist cap/rotor, spark plug wires, o2 sensor in good shape, fuel system clean and have the carbon cleaned out (e.g. sea foam or BG44K fuel system cleaner, etc.). I also strongly suggest you consider switching to synthetic oil and synthetic drive train fluids. This will help things smooth out and run cooler as well as help mileage. You will also get a very slight performance improvement.

2) Exhaust, preferably mandrel bent. 2" or 2 1/4" on this engine, with a reputable muffler. LCEngineering sells a pro flow exhaust kit in 2 1/4" with an exhaust specifically made for the 22R/RE engines. I believe Doug Thorley might also make an exhaust kit. I'm a bigger fan of the mandrel bent kits than I am of a custom local exhaust mainly because local exhaust shops don't have mandrel bent pipes, plus the kits are built specifically for your rig off the shelf and easy to install. Yeah a bit more pricey but you can do the install in your driveway whenever you want in about half an hour instead of having to book an appointment at a shop. etc.

2) If you're not satisfied with just an exhaust, your next upgrade would be going with headers and a cat converter that compliments the new exhaust size of your header and the transition to your exhaust system. LCE has one of the best headers for this engine apparently but I'm also told Tholey's are pretty good as well.

3) On this engine the next thing I'd look at are higher performance cams. LC Engineering is noted for having one of the better selections and quality camshafts available for this engine. I also believe TRD and a few others make camshafts for this engine.

4) I'd put number 4 as some type of intake system. I'm not a fan of dicking around with the high quality filtration of the stock system. But this is what I would consider if you weren't satisfied with the power of the first 4 "mods" I mentioned above working together.

5) If you get to this stage and you aren't happy with the performance of your engine, get your bank book ready.....
Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 PM

coednaked, you basically summed up everything I've learned and researched in the past 72 hours. I'd also read the quote from engbldr on pirate about stock being the best.

Up to this point in time, I've put all my money into work from the frame down and the body and new seats and carpet. I've done all the work myself too. I always figured at some point I would upgrade the exhaust and begin work on the engine. I realized this when I regeared the axles.

Now I've been leaning towards LCEngineering for the headers. Will I be able to bolt them onto the existing stock exhaust until I have money to redo the rest of the system in a month or two?

I know my cat is on its way out and the flange right after the cat is leaking too. And I will have to address that before April when I go in for emissions again.
If this works, I'll probably get the headers now. I don't think I'll ever do a K&N because I've seen them let a lot of dust through.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:40 PM

Question

Thanks for all the info. I will take all that into consideration, but does anyone have any ideas for a good intake that is somewhat decent on the ol wallet but will work well? Also is it a good idea to have an after market intake with stock exhaust? Obviosly you have more air comming in but will stock exhaust cause to much restriction?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
keep the stock intake, upgrade the throttle body.
headers (w/matched ports) will give you more bolt on power, and a cooler engine bay.