Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went down to the speed shop this afternoon and did some research on the oil lines and what I am going to use. I have some good ideas and will photo everyhting from this point forward. everything prior to where I am now was pretty cut and dry. Buy the turbo you want and get a long block that is set up to run with the turbo you choose. I then assembled everything until I started having problems. So now I will work throught the problems and document what I do. If anyone has any questions please ask and I will be happy to try and answer and share what I have learned over the past year and a half. Hopefully one day I can come out and do some wheelin with some of the members in my area in my 4Runner. Thanks Travis

Last edited by 90SR5-4runner; 12-27-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:05 AM

Last edited by 90SR5-4runner; 12-27-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:11 AM

First off the EGR tube I was refering to is not EGR, it is an air injection tube for fresh air to be injected to the exhaust to help in continuation of the fuel burn in order to lower Hydro Carbons and Carbon Dioxide for smog. I have completely removed this apparatus. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-injection-line-1.jpg   Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-injection-line-2.jpg   Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-injection-line-3.jpg  
Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 AM

Here are a few more photos. The screw driver is pointing to the pipe I removed.
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-injection-line-4.jpg   Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-injection-line-5.jpg  
Old 12-27-2007, 08:31 AM

Next I trimmed the water pipe from the water pump. Notice the location of the water lines for the turbo in relation to the existing pipe I trimmed. Plumbing it will be easy. In the second picture above the third freeze plug there is a bolt in the side of the block. The water pipe used to run below this bolt which was actually a fastner for the stability of the pipe and terminates about four inches to the right of the bolt.
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-complete-water-pipe.jpg   Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-water-pipe-2.jpg   Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-water-pipe-3.jpg  
Old 12-27-2007, 08:32 AM

More pics. More than likely I will have to trim it a little more to make room for a T fitting to fit in the area. Also I have decided to buy a new manifold from LCE engineering instead of fooling with the old one. They run around $260.00 plus tax and shipping.
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-water-pipe-4.jpg   Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-water-pipe-5.jpg  

Last edited by 90SR5-4runner; 12-27-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:55 AM

As far as the Turbo itself goes, Turbo City in Orange Ca. did an awsome job on the rebuild. I have repaired the three broken studs in the turbo and have ground down the welds where the previous owner attemtped to weld it together after the studs broke, NO S**T!!! Absolutley unbelievable what some people will do..... Anyways here are some photos of the before and after. Again I fully support the statement "Stupid People Shouldn't Breed"....
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-untitled.jpg   Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-turbo2.jpg   Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-turbo3.jpg  
Old 12-27-2007, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the endeavor. Having owned a 1987 turbo truck, and did quite a bit of fixing up to it, the turbo motors are great engines. Mine was very smooth and in stock form, started making good power around 3,000 rpm. You should expect the same. The same engine is very responsive on the highway. Dropping from 5th to 4th will give you good passing power. However, it is not a race engine in stock form. You must intercool it and turn up the boost to wake it up. With a stock 22RE fuel system, that will not happen. An attempt to do so will lead to a sudden lean condition that breaks pistons and trashes motors. But, there are aftermarket parts that will allow you to enrich the fuel during high boost. Just remember, if you want to play, you got to pay.

My $0.02
Old 12-27-2007, 09:14 AM

Smile

Here are a few pictures of my helper. The first picture shows her pure confidence she has in my before we started that day. either that or shes wondering what are you doing???? no comment on my part... In the second shot she made sure I had the fan on tight. Notice the termination height of the crossover tube in relation to the intake manifold. I will most llikely trim it back a few inches where it is even in height with the intake and find a rubber elbow to conect the two. The third photo again looks to be too much coffee for her (just kidding she is too little yet). But apparently the fan passed inspection.
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-test-fit0.jpg   Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-test-fit1.jpg   Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-test-fit2.jpg  
Old 12-27-2007, 09:19 AM

Talking

And the last pics of the day. Nothing like a cool box of apple juice after a hard day. And a final picture of the rough fit of everything. It will be a while before I post again as I need to buy a manifold and gaskets to finish it up but I am getting close. In response to SEAIRESCUE- Thanks for the tips. I only want a nice reliable 22RET that has a bit more horsepower for towing my bike trailer. The maximum boost this motor will see will be 8psi. If I start getting ancy about tuning and more horsepower I will tear it back down, install head studs, bigger injectors, aftermarket PCM, port the head and add a BOV. But I have no interest in doin those things. This project was mainly done to increse my knowledge of Turbos and further engine modifications. My next project that will be in relations to engines and Horsepower will be when I build my 460 Stroker for my 75 Ford F100. Now that I am going to push pretty far and will take all the neccesary precaution when building so I don't end up with a Grenade when I'm done. I am hoping to pull between 600 to 700 out of it blown but streetable. We'll see but that will be posted on wwwford-trucks.com . But I will always love my Yota's. Anyways will write again when I have more progress.
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-test-fit3.jpg   Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE-test-fit4.jpg  

Last edited by 90SR5-4runner; 12-27-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice write up. I've enjoyed reading your progress. It's inspirational if nothing else for us 22RE owners. Please keep us updated as you proceed. The pics are great.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:54 PM

the pistons you have look just like mine stock 22re pistons not the 33rte piston i though you bought although i might be mistaken and you didnt go that route anyways just though i would through it out there cause if i have stock 22rte pistons then high boost SC here i come
Old 12-27-2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by just a 22re
the pistons you have look just like mine stock 22re pistons not the 33rte piston i though you bought although i might be mistaken and you didnt go that route anyways just though i would through it out there cause if i have stock 22rte pistons then high boost SC here i come
The look like 22RTE pistons to me - dished, no "crown" area.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:17 PM

Smile

They are definatley 22 RTE pistons. The dish itself is about 3/8's of an inch. I know it doesn't look that deep in the picture but it indeed is. Travis
Old 02-03-2008, 10:42 PM

i would trim the gasket

wow ur doing a great job with this writeup.
it answered alot of questions i had about my planned turboing of my celica.
im gonna fab my own turbo hedder though, as the LC hedder for my car costs an arm and a leg.
ive seen it done in a few writeups found through
question for you turbo experts:
would it be possible to use the stock ECU from my 22RE with bigger injectors to keep the mixture correct with the turbo?
what is the best clock for the flange on a turbo hedder? should i have the turbo flange opening straight down, or add 45 degrees to that, facing away from the engine?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:43 PM

i would trim the gasket

last time i changed the exhaust manifold gasket on my celica, it showed more deterioration where the gasket protruded from between the man and the head. is this because moisture was wicked into the gasket from the protruding edges of the gasket? im very curious about this.
was an el-cheapo gasket installed before i got the car or is this the case with many gaskets?
maybe its a certain gasket material that does this?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 PM

do u still have that turb manifold?

since you are getting the LC engineering hedder, how much would you sell the stock manifold for?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:58 PM

it sounds likeb u r almost there but did u think of what kind of driving u r going to be doing.i hope not to much off road tecnical.with the lower compression for the turbo ur motor will be really slugish in low rpms wich they call turbo lag.so if u r planning on doing any slow rock climbing or just any slow steep climbing the turbo motors dont do well.they will feel really under powered then there be to much power.also u will probably have to get a better fuel pump.good luck with the build
Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 AM

Changes

It is funny how life changes. Work has been a lkittle slow and It is Tax time. I have sold the 4Runner and the engine is up for sale. If anyone is interested mail me. Thanks Travis.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 90SR5-4runner
It is funny how life changes. Work has been a lkittle slow and It is Tax time. I have sold the 4Runner and the engine is up for sale. If anyone is interested mail me. Thanks Travis.

Travis I'd post the details of the motor up - machine work done, and if you've still got receipts.

Might list it on the turbo 22rte group also - www.22rte-trucks.com

Quick Reply: Installing a Stock Yota Turbo to a 22RE