Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Installing a Factory Roof Rack 2nd gen ( 94 ) 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a Factory Roof Rack 2nd gen ( 94 ) 4runner

Hey,

So I know there have been a few posts about people installing factory roof racks on their trucks. I bought one from a junkyard a few months back and took my time to read up on how people did it before I put 8 holes in my roof.

Here is the write up for it - 94 4runner 'naked' roof install of factory roof racks.

First off I went out and read everything I could about how people did it before I made the jump and if this is something you plan on doing then think and read before you drill.

I started off by placing the roof rack on and aligning it with the sides. measure measure measure. Then I taped the unit to the roof so it wouldn’t move around until I wanted it out of the way.

After 15 minutes it was in a location I was happy with. So I took out my awl (pointy nail on a handle like tool) and punched the roof to make indents for the drill bit so it wouldn't skip out.

A major issue I heard people talk about was making sure the drill bit didn’t mess up the headliner. I read several ways around this and tried two of them just to realize the most low tech way worked best…tape – but we will get to that in a few moments.

Once the holes were punched and I was happy with how it sat came the most terrifying part, drilling the first hole. The first holes I drilled were tiny (1/16th) and acted as pilot holes. Lucky for me the drill bit was short enough that almost the whole bit fit into the drill so no guide or stopper needed to stop the bit from punching the liner. I did a few scratch the paint once the bit did punch through the metal from the drill itself (not a concern as once the correct size hole is punched that bit of scratched metal will be gone)

I actually drilled each hole a total of four times increasing in bit size, maybe over kill but I didn’t want the bit to jump all over the place on me.

Once I had my first four guide holes drilled I increased the bit size until the final size needed for the nut inserts. As you can see from pictures I used electrical tape on the bit to make sure it didn’t go through my headliner.

Once all 8 holes were drilled I used a sealant on the rubber nut inserts to make sure the install didn’t leak. One major issue I had was the rubber nut inserts were spinning and I couldn’t get them to stop. After an adult beverage I had my eureka moment and went back to it. Being that the rubber nut inserts had a gasket on the top I decided moved to my impact drill and simply applied pressure to the rails as I was putting the screw in. sure enough the pressure held the rubber nut and stopped it from twisting enough that the impactor was able to suck the nut up and grip onto it.

After a few head scratch moments I was finally able to get all eight screws in place with sealant around them. Big test comes when it rains next I guess.

Hope this and the pictures helps you.
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Factory Roof Rack 2nd gen ( 94 ) 4runner-drill-bits.jpg   Installing a Factory Roof Rack 2nd gen ( 94 ) 4runner-drop-buts.jpg   Installing a Factory Roof Rack 2nd gen ( 94 ) 4runner-guide-hole-1.jpg  
Old 07-31-2014, 11:19 PM

Important to make sure you place the correct screw in the ends/ middle. the screws i got that came with the rack had 4 long and 4 short.
long ones go at the end and short in the middle.

Awl punch doesn't need to go through the roof just make a dent so it doesn't skip out.

Finished product
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Factory Roof Rack 2nd gen ( 94 ) 4runner-awl-punch2.jpg   Installing a Factory Roof Rack 2nd gen ( 94 ) 4runner-correct-screw.jpg   Installing a Factory Roof Rack 2nd gen ( 94 ) 4runner-finished-1.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the writeup! I was able to get a factory roof rack and am looking to follow your path. Unfortunately, i didn't get any screws/bolts with the rack. I know it's a couple months ago now, but do you remember the bolt size and lengths?
Old 12-27-2014, 12:01 AM

Yeah went back to see if I had any pictures with the screws and no luck. just more of what I have above.

i would say so long as they are not too long (guess from above pictures) and they fit in the hole you should be good.

I do remember there were longer ones on the end than in the middle, and that it was a PAIN IN THE ASS to find the expanding rubber nuts.

I would go to the local auto store and explain your situation. maybe they have the rubber nuts in a limited sizes. making it easier to start with the nuts then go to the screws as the nuts are harder to source (they literally went through a box of random nuts and bolts and found the exact product i needed at the bottom of the box)

Mine does not leak, we are into winter and after a wet fall the inside is nice n dry. but if i were to do it again i would use better sealant.

did you get the three cross rails with it too?

any further questions?

Be sure to have an impact drill, it makes the tightening of the nuts very easy. push down on teh rail as you impact and they will catch.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:44 AM

Wow, thanks for the detailed response! Yeah, I have the crossbars, too. If I get it figured out, I'll post it in here.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:32 AM

found some rubber well nuts on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121174820335?lpid=82&chn=ps in case someone is looking.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:38 PM

I'm looking to do this soon, can anyone tell me what they think after having done this? Do the rubber nuts hold up ok?