Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

injector boots

Old 12-28-2007, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injector boots

Hi.
1st time posting. I recently had to replace the 22RE in my 86 T4R and when it came time to put on the intake and injectors, I found that the rear 2 injectors sit in a larger rubber boot or grommet placed in the intake holes. I hope that's clear. I tried everywhere to get new ones of these as the originals seemed to be well hardened and non-pliable.
Nobody even shows them in the parts books, including the local toyota dealership. Does anyone know where I can get these items or their part number?
On the EFI intake off the 89 motor I put in, all 4 injector holes are the same size so these boots are not needed. I reused the original 86 EFI to avoid replacing the harness and other differences in hoses, etc. The engine runs very well and I average about 23 MPG so I don't need these items immediately, but I would like to have them on hand for future use.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 PM

Well if you have to take 'em apart again, I'd send them out to be cleaned. Whoever does it should replace both rubber rings--where it fits in the fuel rail, and where it fits in the intake. Cost with shipping is around $70.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 PM

Haha oh yeah, welcome to YotaTech!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:22 PM

There should be an upper and lower cushion ring or "grommet" for each injector. If you only see the rear two I bet it is because the front two cushions are still stuck in the intake manifold. I know that Toyota can order them because I have in the past. When you go in ask them for the injector cushion rings and they should know what you mean. If not ask for a schematic of the intake and injectors and you can point them out. Just to make sure we're talking about the same part I took a pic of some I had laying around. Also here is a link to a kit on ebay if you still can't find them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by SCYOTA; 12-28-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by langzaiguy
Well if you have to take 'em apart again, I'd send them out to be cleaned. Whoever does it should replace both rubber rings--where it fits in the fuel rail, and where it fits in the intake. Cost with shipping is around $70.
Thanks for the reply, but these grommets I'm talking about are not the O-rings or the rubber sleeve that slides on the top/bottom tube of the injectors. On the rear 2 intake holes, the O rings on the bottom of the injector form the seal to the hole in the intake. On the front 2 injectors, there are additional rubber grommets that fit into the intake hole and the injector than slides into them with the O ring making the contact in the grommet. The 2 rear holes in the intake are about 3/8" diameter. The 2 front intake injector holes are about 3/4" diameter. This grommet fits in the 3/4" hole and the injector slides into it. My manual actually shows it here called a spacer. http://www.ruralinternetservices.com...ctorsleeve.jpg, but for a turbo install. This truck was never a turbo.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:10 PM

Ok now I know what your talking about. You should print out that page and bring it into Toyota. They should be able to get them for you. They kinda resemble the 3.0 V6 injector cushions but I doubt they are the same. Here's the ones for the V6 that I'm talking about. Hopefully some of the Turbo guys will chime in if Toyota can't get them.

http://catalog.drivewire.com/drivewi...&submit=search
Old 12-28-2007, 11:29 PM

[QUOTE=SCYOTA;50706495]Ok now I know what your talking about. You should print out that page and bring it into Toyota. They should be able to get them for you. They kinda resemble the 3.0 V6 injector cushions but I doubt they are the same. Here's the ones for the V6 that I'm talking about. Hopefully some of the Turbo guys will chime in if Toyota can't get them.

I went that route with the dealer. He couldn't find them in his book so as far as he's concerned, they don't exist. Next closest dealer is 225 miles. I hope someone in here will be able to give me a PN or source for them. I still would like to know why this intake appears to be from a Turbo when I know the full history of the truck and it never had a turbo. Anyway, thanks for the replies and maybe now it's clear enough that others can help further.
PS. For previous responses, yes, I did put in new injector seal kits when I put it together.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't visualize exactly what part you're talking aboug but I do remember when I did mine that the only place I could find the right rings was in a seal kit from NAPA. And there were 3 or 4 grommets in each pack that weren't for my application.

I seem to recall the kits were about $8 each but what are you gonna do?

Wouldn't hurt for you to check with them if you have one and see exactly what's in the kit.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ya gots a lazy parts dealer person...

I'll have to look at my boxes of stuff when I get home.
Also - try RC Engineering (the injector people)
Old 12-29-2007, 08:44 AM

Looking at the pictures of the spacer on the link SCYOTA posted, those sure look like the same ones I need. In any event, I ordered a couple just to find out. If they are not exactly the same, at least I have something I can take along to the dealer and say, "They are almost like these".
Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call Mark Jacobsen Toyota in Durham, NC, 800-643-6236. I had the same exact issue with an 1987 pickup. You are correct, the back two are different than the front two. The parts folks are SHARP. I think I walked out the door with about $30 worth of different O rings and cups and so on. They even printed the page from the service manual depicting where they all go. Also, Dr. Injector in Washington state is really good to work with but they do not have all the seals you need. They are great for testing and cleaning injectors. Injectors do go bad and create nasty lean conditions in cylinders. Been there, done that....

My $0.02