86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Im looking for idler arm/ IFS upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im looking for idler arm/ IFS upgrades

So since I have recently decided to stay with my IFS for a bit longer and armor up before a think about SAS I need some advice. In my opinion the idler arm is the weakest link in the IFS chain (I have replaced 3 already). The thing gets out of whack on almost every trip out, sending everything else down the line out of order.
It has caused me to wear tires un evenly and trash wheel bearings and tie rods. I guess it is not helping that im running 33s on completely stock IFS and soon I want to move up to 35s.
So what im looking for is some bigger stronger better IFS components starting with the idler arm. I bend the thing up so bad it will hit the frame. My frame has silver grooves where it rubs and all I can do is bend it back with a pry bar, that lasts about a few speed bumps.
So If i want to continue with my IFS I need to get this thing stronger. Im also open to any other IFS upgrades that will help me beef it up for the trails ( please no one tell me to do a bushing rebuild kit thats not going to help).

Last edited by Slowstrike; 06-21-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...s/1986-95.html

http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_4wd.html
Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had more issues with the bushings wearing out than bending the arm. Doing the bronze bushing replacement has fixed mine. As I see it, you have two options for the idler arms on our rigs:

- the downey brace and the bronze bushings (and know it might still break)
- the Total Chaos (and be done with it forever)
Old 06-21-2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by tc
I have had more issues with the bushings wearing out than bending the arm. Doing the bronze bushing replacement has fixed mine. As I see it, you have two options for the idler arms on our rigs:

- the downey brace and the bronze bushings (and know it might still break)
- the Total Chaos (and be done with it forever)
thanks you two thats just what I was looking for! Im going for the total chaos that was EXACTLY what I had in mind. After 3 stock replacements I want to be done forever! thanks thanks.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
go with the brace, but replace the stupid grade 3 hardware they use. And when you install it, make sure you really crank it down and bend the brace around the arm.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
go with the brace, but replace the stupid grade 3 hardware they use. And when you install it, make sure you really crank it down and bend the brace around the arm.
Well thats tough. When I look at pricing I could get the chromoly links and the brace from downey for the around same price or less as the TC idler. I do like the idea of the TC idler however.
Yet at the same time looking at all this SFA is going farther and farther back in my mind. The only reason I was hard up for it before was not because where it could take me but more the idea of durability. looking at this since im finally going to have money to do whatever.
Has everyones experience with the brace been sufficient? and if i did that I would also have to do the brass bushing replacement.

*Edit* Nevermind links are for coilover 4 runners im stupid. Still same questions otherwise.

Last edited by Slowstrike; 06-21-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

I've ran the Downey brace for YEARS and it worked great. Unfortunately, I just replaced all the front steering stuff and my new ider isnt the same as the OEM one. So, we'll see how long this one lasts compared to the orginal one. I did replace the bushings once, but it didn't really help because the bores the bushings sat was so wollered out it still was loose. Of course that idler arm was 22 years old!! lol!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
I've ran the Downey brace for YEARS and it worked great. Unfortunately, I just replaced all the front steering stuff and my new ider isnt the same as the OEM one. So, we'll see how long this one lasts compared to the orginal one. I did replace the bushings once, but it didn't really help because the bores the bushings sat was so wollered out it still was loose. Of course that idler arm was 22 years old!! lol!
Ok thats good to know its like a 300 dollar difference. What else would anyone suggest for any additional upgrades. Like maybe some Beefier Tie rod ends?

Last edited by Slowstrike; 06-21-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:25 PM

best upgrade i did to my ifs was to cut it off. my truck has never drove straighter or handled better...even with unbalanced 38's.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by SLOWBOOST
best upgrade i did to my ifs was to cut it off. my truck has never drove straighter or handled better...even with unbalanced 38's.

Funny but I would rather spend the money on sliders and a winch at the moment.
Not to mention I can run bigger tires with my gearset and IFS if I wanted too. I dont feel like throwing away my front diff to swap right now. Im just looking for a few things to get me by while I try and fix up some armor and a winch that im going to need IFS or not in the future.
The idler arm is the only thing giving me an issue, I thank the helpful people who solved my problem.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

I dunno mine rides great. I couldnt handle driving a SFA everyday. Just make sure your idler arm is in good shape and your pitman arm. Because once those wear your whole tie rod assembly + relay rod will start to move back and forth, alot..

after two years and a few idler arm rebuilds, my pitman arm has started to wear out..
Old 06-22-2009, 09:40 AM

I dunno mine rides great. I couldnt handle driving a SFA everyday. Just make sure your idler arm is in good shape and your pitman arm. Because once those wear your whole tie rod assembly + relay rod will start to move back and forth, alot..

after two years and a few idler arm rebuilds, my pitman arm has started to wear out..
well I just replaced the tie rods and the idler a few months ago and I did inspect the pitman and It was holding up fine for now. The question I have now is, When I replaced the OEM idler I put on some Kragen replacement should the brace still fit?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:08 AM

where do you get the bronze bushing kit from?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by jjrgr21
where do you get the bronze bushing kit from?
http://www.custommachiningusa.com/Specialty_Items.html

And I answered my own question I read around and found out that I cant rebuilt any of the after market idlers only the toyota one.
Hopefully when I head back to cali to get my truck next week I can find the original toyota one in the parts pile. If not I might just spend the 200 extra dollars and buy the TC one.
Adding it up the downey brace and brass rebuilt kit is around 100 on its own then finding another toyota idler from a junkyard I dont know how much that would be 20-40 bucks maybe? then again the TC idler is like 370.......well atleast I have a few more weeks to figure it all out.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.sdori.com/SDORI_Products.html as well, although his bushings are for an aftermarket arm ONLY, and only 1 particular model.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
http://www.sdori.com/SDORI_Products.html as well, although his bushings are for an aftermarket arm ONLY, and only 1 particular model.
Thanks for that! I forgot about SDORI and just so happens the bushings they make are for the aftermarket Idler that I had got from kragen. The question is now will the downey brace fit it?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

As long as it looks like this, I would imagine the Downey brace will fit:

It it looks like this, then not so much:
Old 06-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Contributing Member

I bought another idler arm after figuring out that my original was rusted beyond repair.
It looks like the factory but itsnt the same size, I can't find bushings to rebuild it with!!!
But it fits with the brace.

When you crank the brace on, be aware that once you have to remove it, its gonna be fun. You will need to use a vice and bend the brace back out.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:22 AM

I bought another idler arm after figuring out that my original was rusted beyond repair.
It looks like the factory but itsnt the same size, I can't find bushings to rebuild it with!!!
But it fits with the brace.

When you crank the brace on, be aware that once you have to remove it, its gonna be fun. You will need to use a vice and bend the brace back out.
Im still back and forth wether Im going to buy the brace try to find the bushings see if its the right idler find the right idler etc. Or plop down a chunk of cash on the TC idler and bolt it in and be done with it.

Either way I will let yall know what I did sometime around next month when I have the truck back from california and my tools back to do it all. I have atleast a month to talk it over with my brain.

They are both good options really, what I think its going to come down too is if I have found the sliders I want to spend the money on by then.

thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

If you have the money. Go for the TC idler. Its a one time buy that you wont ever have to replace. The weak idler is one of the biggest drawbacks to keeping IFS.

Quick Reply: Im looking for idler arm/ IFS upgrades